The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I don't feel Quinn is at all dependable. Wonder if Kirkpatrick can play slightly deeper? 

We're already stretched and it already feels like last season (albeit our one fit midfielder is McGinn, not Hutton). 

I'm making my peace with starting the season with Reilly up front, but our midfield is so thin right now.

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

They should just referee friendlies in the exact same manner that they referee games during the season.

If Tuesday night's referee had done that then Dundee's 17 would have been booked within the first 10 mins and I think the whole game would have calmed down.

As it happened he spent the entire game gesturing at players - from both sides - to calm down. Players knew that they would get away with it so were throwing themselves into challenges. Dundee's 17 and 28 were both lucky not to be off, as was Stelios. The challenge that i jured Magennis was't actually a foul but it was a really strong challenge, that was totally unnecessary in a friendly.

I don't  know who it was that injured Magennis but we had 3 trialists and guys who would be considered fringe players so all of these players are out to show the manager what they are all about, not hold back in case they accidentally injure an opponent.

It was good to see some of our players getting tore in for a change.

I don't feel Quinn is at all dependable. Wonder if Kirkpatrick can play slightly deeper? 
We're already stretched and it already feels like last season (albeit our one fit midfielder is McGinn, not Hutton). 
I'm making my peace with starting the season with Reilly up front, but our midfield is so thin right now.

I can't imagine Kirkpatrick doing much in a deeper role, he's not really one for spraying Hollywood passes or getting stuck in.

I say his strength is taking pings from the edge of the box and threading some decent passes into strikers.

How has he looked so far and where has he been playing?

I don't  know who it was that injured Magennis but we had 3 trialists and guys who would be considered fringe players so all of these players are out to show the manager what they are all about, not hold back in case they accidentally injure an opponent.

It was good to see some of our players getting tore in for a change.

Aye, seeing an 18 year old boy, about to start his first full season in the first team, injured for 3 months is definitely what we want to see in a meaningless pre season game.

I do take your point about trialists trying to impress, but i don't find throwing yourself into challenges particularly impressive. Also if a trialist injures himself in a silly challenge then I would imagine his chances of a contract would be somewhat diminished.

11 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Aye, seeing an 18 year old boy, about to start his first full season in the first team, injured for 3 months is definitely what we want to see in a meaningless pre season game.

Again, we had trialists and fringe players trying to impress the manager so it wasn't "meaningless" to them, the manager trying to assess his squad or for the fans who'd travelled through from Dundee and paid to see them.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game. There will be guys who can't earn a living because they can't get to work for a few weeks or months due to injuries in "meaningless" Sunday league games. Shit happens. 

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I can't imagine Kirkpatrick doing much in a deeper role, he's not really one for spraying Hollywood passes or getting stuck in.

I say his strength is taking pings from the edge of the box and threading some decent passes into strikers.

How has he looked so far and where has he been playing?

Fair enough, it was just a thought. I'm glad he can't drop back, tbh, as it means we'll have to strengthen.

I've not seen him play yet; perhaps someone else can answer that. We've not been pulling up any trees in pre-season so far though.

30 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Do we think the opening game will be all ticket?

The away end is 1600 is it not?

Every game is all ticket at  Love ST Greenhill Rd. And the Away end does indeed hold around 1600/1700. Last season a part of the West Stand was used an an overfill area if the Away team reckoned they could sell more than the 1600 tickets. However Away support in the West Stand resulted in many complaints from Buddies in that Stand as half the facilities were then allocated to the Away support. If we sold 1000 season tickets in the West Stand the Club said they would not hand it over to Away support. And we have sold over 1000 STs there. Nothing so far about giving over any other part of the Stadium as an overspill area for League games although we are allowing Airdrie(?) support into a part of the Family Stand for a LC game and keeping the AWay stand closed.

10 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Michael Miller, supposed to be playing as a trialist for us this evening.

Any Morton or Livingston fan care to comment on his potential or lack of it?

Was very decent for us under Murray and Ross in 2013/14, but seemed to lose his way a bit at Morton and Livi, where he didn't pull up any trees (aside from scoring the promotion winning goal for the 'Ton). 

He'd probably do a job for you lot, but I don't see him as a top four Championship player just yet.

13 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Michael Miller, supposed to be playing as a trialist for us this evening.

Any Morton or Livingston fan care to comment on his potential or lack of it?

Although he got a hard time from a lot of ton fans I thought he did ok in League 1. Seems to be a confidence player and didn't get a run of games in one position for us. Played right back or centre mid and I'd say he looked more comfortable at centre mid (just). Surprised St.mirren are looking at him if they are aiming for top 4. Ross must see something in him.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Although he got a hard time from a lot of ton fans I thought he did ok in League 1. Seems to be a confidence player and didn't get a run of games in one position for us. Played right back or centre mid and I'd say he looked more comfortable at centre mid (just). Surprised St.mirren are looking at him if they are aiming for top 4. Ross must see something in him.

We seem to be running the rule over defensive (?) central midfielders. We've had a few in, but Ross has stated that they have to fit into our system. He seems to a stickler for that level of exactitude.

As the previous poster mentioned Ross knows him, so that connection has probably has had deemed it worth a try.

We seem to be putting a lot of faith in Ross and Fowler, being able to bring on lower league players to a higher level. Which I'm relatively happy with, but as our injury list grows, I must admit, I fear that some of them will be getting thrown in at the deep end.

11 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Kyle out for 2-3 months so maybe short term contract 

42 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We seem to be running the rule over defensive (?) central midfielders. We've had a few in, but Ross has stated that they have to fit into our system. He seems to a stickler for that level of exactitude.

As the previous poster mentioned Ross knows him, so that connection has probably has had deemed it worth a try.

We seem to be putting a lot of faith in Ross and Fowler, being able to bring on lower league players to a higher level. Which I'm relatively happy with, but as our injury list grows, I must admit, I fear that some of them will be getting thrown in at the deep end.

I may be wrong but I'm sure Duffy wanted him to stay and offered him a new deal but chose to go to Livingston for regular football. Not sure if he played much for them right enough. I was very optimistic when we signed him as the sons fans raved about him. Just didn't turn out to be the right move in the end.