The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, Kyle said:

True. I know a lot of those signings will be inexpensive gambles but signing so many from lower league football all at once looks like an unnecessary risk to me. United may have signed fewer players, but they look like the kind of players that will get them out of the league. I'm not sure that St Mirren's signings - Cammy Smith aside - are.

Can't disagree with anything you've said. We arguably still need a CH, CM and a CF, and I'd want/hope they were all in the 'good enough to play in the Prem' category.

We're a little bit short at the minute, but it's only late June so there is plenty of time. 

13 minutes ago, Kyle said:

True. I know a lot of those signings will be inexpensive gambles but signing so many from lower league football all at once looks like an unnecessary risk to me. United may have signed fewer players, but they look like the kind of players that will get them out of the league. I'm not sure that St Mirren's signings - Cammy Smith aside - are.

If you take our side at the end of last season that drew 1-1 with Hibs we have lost 3 of the 14 players that played that day. O'Brien, Loy and Mallan. 

Mallan is a huge loss, but the hope is Magennis kicks on again to cover. O'Brien has been replaced by Samson. Loy is perhaps the biggest miss- I think we still need an out and out striker. 

The players making the step up are largely replacing other squad players at present so hopefully not too much of a gamble. 

I think the squad is largely complete. Many players who are in the Premiership might be keen to stay there and won't look our way till later in the summer. 

Edited by flyingscot

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Hee-haw chance of that IMO.

So... is that zero chance, or a bit of a chance, or a massive chance but we sold our other chances to cover it, thus rendering the entire exercise chance neutral?

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Why do St Mirren fans think everyone is either jealous and/or seething because of them for raising some points in an open forum?

Bizarre.

^^^ mad jelly.

I've never heard such jealous crap in my life.Cappielow cringe is alive indeed.
Their world is made up of hating Saints 24/7. I feel this season it may get so much worse as they take their rightful place in our shadow. Just be careful fellow buddies they walk amongst us :thumsup2

You think? I've not felt the same passion for the derby since the late 90's to be honest.

6 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Actually, he said this:

Sorry, late to the party after everyone else started drawing lines under it but I've been unavailable all morning. Indeed I did say that, and all along I've said Jack Ross did a great job on it. However, I took issue with Northbank's perfectly clear attempt to imply St Mirren managed their January ins and outs without spending any extra payroll cash, or having to pay players off which you quite clearly did not. No more, no less.

4 hours ago, NorthBank said:

JR was told in Jan there was no money. If he wanted to change the squad he would have to get rid of players which he did. Others said we paid off 10 players - LIE. We may have paid off 1 player but got rid of another 9 at no cost. We sold Naismith to a desperate RC and the Club asked the fans for money and we donated 8K. We also sold McAllister but I know for a fact that money has not been touched. I never said what we done was at zero cost but at minimum cost but that has been misrepresented several times. I acknowledged we may have paid off Gallagher and that some wages increased. All off set by Naismith's and the Fans' money. What is hard for you lot to understand about that? You make up figures and 'suggestions' when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Brilliant housekeeping by the Club. But let your jealousy eat away at you and continue to misrepresent the facts.

You paid off more than one player and you certainly didn't get rid of another 9 a "no cost". You never mentioned minimum cost before, nor zero cost but you threw about a bunch of phrases clearly inferring the players who went out cost the same as the players who came in. Your increasingly desperate attempts to retrospectively rewrite what you said are nonsense.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

I am dismissing the wrong representation that is being made and repeated. Some people for whatever reason just have to split hairs and make up garbage to justify their opiniont.

I replied in the first instance to a Morton fan who asked if we had spent a considerable amount of this season's budget in January. I think I showed that was not the case but some posters had to jump in and distort the facts. St Mirren did not spend this year's budget in January. St Mirren had to self finance the relatively little expenditure increase in January as there was no other money. There. What do you not understand about that :):)

The only person distorting facts on the whole subject is you to be fair. The other St Mirren fans seem perfectly self aware of what was done and how it was done. Nobody said you spent this year's money last year except a Morton fan who could easily have been answered with "no, we raised a pile of cash in transfer fees". Instead you gibbered nonsense and shouldn't be surprised when you are pulled up for it.

29 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Sorry, late to the party after everyone else started drawing lines under it but I've been unavailable all morning. Indeed I did say that, and all along I've said Jack Ross did a great job on it. However, I took issue with Northbank's perfectly clear attempt to imply St Mirren managed their January ins and outs without spending any extra payroll cash, or having to pay players off which you quite clearly did not. No more, no less.

You paid off more than one player and you certainly didn't get rid of another 9 a "no cost". You never mentioned minimum cost before, nor zero cost but you threw about a bunch of phrases clearly inferring the players who went out cost the same as the players who came in. Your increasingly desperate attempts to retrospectively rewrite what you said are nonsense.

The only person distorting facts on the whole subject is you to be fair. The other St Mirren fans seem perfectly self aware of what was done and how it was done. Nobody said you spent this year's money last year except a Morton fan who could easily have been answered with "no, we raised a pile of cash in transfer fees". Instead you gibbered nonsense and shouldn't be surprised when you are pulled up for it.

^^jealous, imo.

interested to read earlier that among your signing targets there's a need for "an out and out striker" and Loy would be "the biggest miss" - just curious to know where Loy played in your set-up, as I didn't remember him as an out and out striker, either for us or when he moved to Dens. Or come to that, when he played at TFS at the end of last season.  Has he played a diff role? 

22 hours ago, Mr X said:

Well, yes it did. Quite significantly in fact. You brought in a shit load of money and spent some of it.

The cost of players to the club after January was higher than before January - thats not neutral.

Yup. We ended the January window with a better team and more money than at the start of the window. I can't see why fans of other teams would be upset by this.

17 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

interested to read earlier that among your signing targets there's a need for "an out and out striker" and Loy would be "the biggest miss" - just curious to know where Loy played in your set-up, as I didn't remember him as an out and out striker, either for us or when he moved to Dens. Or come to that, when he played at TFS at the end of last season.  Has he played a diff role? 

He tended to play up top on his own, but on occasion he played with 2 (at Falkirk we did this).

In actual fact Mallan is probably the biggest miss to be honest, but Loy is a good goalscorer at this level and a good addition to any team. 

14 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Where have you been? Saints are absolutely rolling in cash.

But we're not about to start splashing it on transfer fees. As we've established, we prefer to remain profitable or, at worst, financially neutral.

;)