The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier on here but just wondering what ST sales are at St Mirren and how it compares with last season?

^^^ Stealth Bairns crowdwank post, IMO. ;)

Reports this morning that the Loy deal is very much up in the air. I hope we're starting to line up alternatives in case he does decide to go to Falkirk.

50 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

^^^ Stealth Bairns crowdwank post, IMO. ;)

Reports this morning that the Loy deal is very much up in the air. I hope we're starting to line up alternatives in case he does decide to go to Falkirk.

Houston was on the radio saying that Loy looks to be staying at Dundee for the moment due to the new manager coming in and the other problem is him finding a team willing to take on his 1700 quid a week wages. I could see him starting the season at Dundee and then moving on loan perhaps if he doesnt make an impact as I cant see either of our teams affording those kinds of wages. 

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Houston was on the radio saying that Loy looks to be staying at Dundee for the moment due to the new manager coming in and the other problem is him finding a team willing to take on his 1700 quid a week wages. I could see him starting the season at Dundee and then moving on loan perhaps if he doesnt make an impact as I cant see either of our teams affording those kinds of wages. 

Ah, that's interesting: I've not seen it myself, but someone on B&WA says Jack Ross is in the local press today, also playing down the likelihood of the transfer. Perhaps both our clubs have had the same feedback.

There's been little talk of Loy in Dundee except on Facebook pages which tends to be pure speculation. He's been kind of unlucky. He started both his seasons with a brace in the first league games. In the first season he was injured after the first game and Dundee changed to a one up front formation with Hemmings filling that role. After he returned he was restricted mainly to bit part appearances from the bench. Then, at the start of the season past, he was played up front on his own which doesn't suit him and gradually drifted out of the picture. It'll be interesting to see what happens. We're pretty thin on the ground for strikers and it may be that McCann will give him a chance playing along side another front man

33 minutes ago, Jimmy Baker said:

There's been little talk of Loy in Dundee except on Facebook pages which tends to be pure speculation. He's been kind of unlucky. He started both his seasons with a brace in the first league games. In the first season he was injured after the first game and Dundee changed to a one up front formation with Hemmings filling that role. After he returned he was restricted mainly to bit part appearances from the bench. Then, at the start of the season past, he was played up front on his own which doesn't suit him and gradually drifted out of the picture. It'll be interesting to see what happens. We're pretty thin on the ground for strikers and it may be that McCann will give him a chance playing along side another front man

I was really surprised last season that he didn't get more of a chance. Whilst the season before you had a red hot Hemmings keeping him out the team last season your top scorer was Haber on what 8 and players like el bacteria only scored what 3. Surely wouldve been worth giving him more game time.

The first league game he played he was actually up front with Hemmings and looked a player. Last season he was played up on his own and was generally rancid. I thought he would have made a good combo with Haber but by that time he was off on loan. Off course the lack of anybody capable of providing the front players with chances didn't help any of the strikers.

Edited by Jimmy Baker
duplication

Never expected to see Loy available until mid-August until McCann had a chance to see how he fitted in with Dundee's new squad.

If he's available and within our budget I'd love to see Loy back, if not so long and thanks!

I've always said a manager should hold back a bit of cash to see who becomes available as the summer window closes but that's not the same as leaving holes in the squad and hoping to find the missing pieces in other clubs surplus stock (Alex Rae - Summer 2016), this approach only works when fine-tuning a decent squad. As a whole I'm pretty pleased with where we are so far. Bring it on..............

4 minutes ago, btb said:

Never expected to see Loy available until mid-August until McCann had a chance to see how he fitted in with Dundee's new squad.

If he's available and within our budget I'd love to see Loy back, if not so long and thanks!

I've always said a manager should hold back a bit of cash to see who becomes available as the summer window closes but that's not the same as leaving holes in the squad and hoping to find the missing pieces in other clubs surplus stock (Alex Rae - Summer 2016), this approach only works when fine-tuning a decent squad. As a whole I'm pretty pleased with where we are so far. Bring it on..............

I agree to a certain extent. I suppose the problem is that strikers are such an important part of your team. Can you really hang on till later in the close season for someone like Loy to find that he then doesn't become available and all the other options are away. It's a bit of a gamble at our level unfortunately.

Jack Ross says we could be looking to bring in between two and four more players, depending on whether newly-promoted youth team players Nathan Flanagan and Darren Whyte (winger and CH/DM respectively), are sent out on loan or kept with the senior squad.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/st-mirren-boss-jack-ross-10652357

Article mentions that Jack Ross was on holiday for a bit. First I'd heard of it, TBH...

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

You guys have Dale Hilson on trial at the moment. We're interested, and so are Ayr United, but I suspect you'll be his most attractive option if he's offered a deal.

According to wikipedia, he's a 'striker striker'. We've not had that sort of player since Djemba-Djemba.

sWY4ULn.png

I'm not sure he's really what we need and I foresee a Falkirk-esque meltdown if he signs for us.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

According to wikipedia, he's a 'striker striker'. We've not had that sort of player since Djemba-Djemba.

sWY4ULn.png

I'm not sure he's really what we need and I foresee a Falkirk-esque meltdown if he signs for us.

Height 1.7m! 

I know strikers (and even striker strikers) don't need to be tall to be effective, but that's definitely on the short side!

He's not tall but he is quick and can play off the front man or as a winger / wide attacker too. His two seasons with us (after being signed by James Fowler so the link is obvious) were both horribly disrupted by a broken foot (a different one each time) but he started both very well and as a starter in the team. Lost his place last season after we signed Dobbie before getting injured in training anyway, though he was back in the team in a wider role by that time. He got back to fitness about March but didn't have the same zip and effectiveness in the last couple of months and looked a little heavier which probably cost him any chance of a new deal. Disappointing as I really liked him as a player. A good pre-season under his belt will hopefully bring him back to what we saw the last couple of seasons though. Don't think he'll ever be a big scorer but likely to contribute up to 10 goals a season at this level. He'd do well at St Mirren but presumably wouldn't start every week given your other options.

With it now looking less and less likely Rory Loy will be back at SMFC next season, it may be time to move onto another target. I don't believe for a second Hilson will be that target that we have in mind to replace Loy but I'm pretty convinced Jack Ross will have other decent options to explore.

Edited by djchapsticks

If Hilson was to come to us I'm sure Shadwell would have a fuckin canary!

No need for him to worry I don't think though because I believe that he's one of a few players that Houstie's fallen out with over the years.

I'm not sure why guys are beginning to view it less likely that Loy will come you. As a father of a young child, Loy will be looking at the club which will be offering him the most cash in order that he can provide the best he can for it, and I'd assume that you chaps would be able to provide a larger wage for him compared to us. The decision will be purely money based.

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

With it now looking less and less likely Rory Loy will be back at SMFC next season, it may be time to move onto another target. I don't believe for a second Hilson will be that target that we have in mind to replace Loy but I'm pretty convinced Jack Ross will have other decent options to explore.

Why is it looking less and less likely?  What's changed in the last few days? JR has already stated that there may be a few signings he has to bide his time with and wait and see what's happening with their current clubs. Pretty obvious Rory Loy falls into this category.

I agree though that JR will have other targets he's  ready to explore as soon as he gets a final answer on RL 

Edited by Gbud84

On 2017-6-19 at 10:53, Shadwell Dog said:

I agree to a certain extent. I suppose the problem is that strikers are such an important part of your team. Can you really hang on till later in the close season for someone like Loy to find that he then doesn't become available and all the other options are away. It's a bit of a gamble at our level unfortunately.

we did this before #Bahokan #Tonywatt. both time without success and left us cream crackered for the season.