The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Turns out he signed a years extension until 2019 on 4th August last year and most folk missed it. :lol:

86bab882797c688f02b7c360c167e993.webp

That's a broken link - sorry if I'm being whooshed. If he did sign an extension, that's amazing news, obviously.

Edit: here's another link:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lewis-morgan/profil/spieler/311351

Great stuff. I've spent months thinking the clock was ticking there and wondering why nobody seemed that fussed :lol: 

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, very inexperienced but he's apparently one of a number of targets that were looking at according to James Fowler.

A defensive midfielder was the position I'd mentioned I'd like to focus on us getting a bit of cover in (presuming that Loy at CF and Davis at CB are our two main targets) and that appears to be his preferred position.

Didn't realise he was a DM. That changes things. We deffo need cover/company for McGinn.

Was worried he was yet another 'wanna play the number 10 role but will sit out wide if I have to' players, which, let's face it, we're never short of.

Edited by Coventry Saint

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's a broken link - sorry if I'm being whooshed. If he did sign an extension, that;s amazing news, obviously.

Didn't realise he was a DM. That changes things. We deffo need cover/company for McGinn.

Was worried he was yet another 'wanna play the number 10 role but will sit out wide if I have to' players, which, let's face it, we're never short of.

I've fixed it now. Official Twitter says 2019 but official website says 2018. That's where confusion arises from. 

Could clearly be a typo on either. In this case let's hope it's official website. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've fixed it now. Official Twitter says 2019 but official website says 2018. That's where confusion arises from. 

Could clearly be a typo on either. In this case let's hope it's official website. 

I think it's more likely that they have simply failed to update the lad's profile page. That Twitter post from last August seems far more conclusive to me.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think it's more likely that they have simply failed to update the lad's profile page. That Twitter post from last August seems far more conclusive to me.

You would hope wouldn't you? 

But then it's the hope that kills you. :lol:

Knowing us he'll actually be out of contract in January in a similar fashion to Kyle McAllister. :P

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Actually, looking now, I think it's only til next summer. :unsure:

He was contracted til 2017, then signed  year extension. I think the Tweet must be wrong.

FFS!

I'm not so sure. Would we ever knock back £250k for a guy with a year left?

Also, isn't our usual policy with youth to tie them to a 3 year contract after their first team breakthrough? That's been the case with literally every youngster who has become a first team regular.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm not so sure. Would we ever knock back £250k for a guy with a year left?

Also, isn't our usual policy with youth to tie them to a 3 year contract after their first team breakthrough? That's been the case with literally every youngster who has become a first team regular.

At 250K we would. He has a compensation payout, and we'd probably find lower payout v player for this year a better option. 

Just now, flyingscot said:

At 250K we would. He has a compensation payout, and we'd probably find lower payout v player for this year a better option. 

Compensation is only 3 years though in Lewis' case so drastically reduced rather than likes of McGinn who was with us since he was a kid.

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Compensation is only 3 years though in Lewis' case so drastically reduced rather than likes of McGinn who was with us since he was a kid.

Yes but the compensation for lower age groups is reduced, the bulk of compensation comes from 15+ years. I think it is something like £45,000 a year. 

Charlie Telfer was £180K since age 12. Wouldn't surprise me if Morgan was £100k?

Edited by flyingscot

I confirmed with the club this morning that Lewis is under contract until May 2018. The official site tweet on 4th August 2016 was wrong I'm afraid. A typo or a mistake they should have corrected.

My understanding is we would be due around £150K compensation if the player walked on a bosman next summer. Latest Burton Albion bid said to be around £250K.

The club have rejected that, they really don't want, or need to sell Lewis and they've been talking to him for a while now about extending/renewing/improving his current deal with Saints.

As always, every player has his price. If Burton continue to up their bid, or another club come in, then of course he could still go.

9 minutes ago, Div said:

I confirmed with the club this morning that Lewis is under contract until May 2018. The official site tweet on 4th August 2016 was wrong I'm afraid. A typo or a mistake they should have corrected.

My understanding is we would be due around £150K compensation if the player walked on a bosman next summer. Latest Burton Albion bid said to be around £250K.

The club have rejected that, they really don't want, or need to sell Lewis and they've been talking to him for a while now about extending/renewing/improving his current deal with Saints.

As always, every player has his price. If Burton continue to up their bid, or another club come in, then of course he could still go.

Cheers for clarifying, Div.

12 minutes ago, Div said:

Encouraging to hear the club have knocked back 250K for him which is around the same as what we took for Mclean, McGinn, McAllister and Mallan. They obviously feel we have made enough money from Mallan/McAllister and can afford to keep him for another year. Just need to get him signed up for a further extension now.

I reckon if we get 300k plus a sell on he will be off, hard to knock back that kind of money with only 1 year remaining.

There was rumours of getting mcallister back on loan - was there any substance to this?

Do we have any other youngsters likely to step up this year?

I reckon if we get 300k plus a sell on he will be off, hard to knock back that kind of money with only 1 year remaining.

There was rumours of getting mcallister back on loan - was there any substance to this?

Do we have any other youngsters likely to step up this year?

Sorry missed this, just posted asking about Flanagan. He won Annans young player of the year in League Two.

Is Lewis Morgan the young boy from Greenock? 

Yeah I went to school with him too, total fucking w**k of a guy.

His older sister has been spouting about how he's getting a £2.5 million pound move to Celtic/Rangers whilst on the piss around Gourock!