The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

I bet we wouldn't stand in John Sutton's way if he wanted to leave.  I'm still confident (based on nothing) that we'll get Loy.

Thought Sutton was excellent in our final game at East End. We signed El Alagui to do a similar role but it just ended up with aimless balls being lumped up at him. 

On Reilly, I said a few times that despite him being the worst player we've ever had, he could probably do a decent job elsewhere. Just wasn't right for our team. 

16 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Thought Sutton was excellent in our final game at East End. We signed El Alagui to do a similar role but it just ended up with aimless balls being lumped up at him. 

On Reilly, I said a few times that despite him being the worst player we've ever had, he could probably do a decent job elsewhere. Just wasn't right for our team. 

Obviously that's what we're hoping. I believe it's known as doing a Carswell. Seems Ross has been after him for most the summer (so far) so he's clearly seen a player there somewhere.

On Sutton, he could well be 5th in line to start up front (that's a bit of a generalism: Smith won't play the same position as Sutton) so can't see why he'd stick around.

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Obviously that's what we're hoping. I believe it's known as doing a Carswell. Seems Ross has been after him for most the summer (so far) so he's clearly seen a player there somewhere.

On Sutton, he could well be 5th in line to start up front (that's a bit of a generalism: Smith won't play the same position as Sutton) so can't see why he'd stick around.

Surely it'll be Fowler that's persuaded Ross to have a punt on him.

Signed Reilly eh? 

He is a quick and direct player. He didn't have a good season with us, but as Shandon said above he'll still be a bloody good player in the right team. 

I'd have preferred not to see him in this league, as he'll likely come back to haunt us. All in all a good signing for you guys. 

5 minutes ago, P475 said:

Signed Reilly eh? 

He is a quick and direct player. He didn't have a good season with us, but as Shandon said above he'll still be a bloody good player in the right team. 

I'd have preferred not to see him in this league, as he'll likely come back to haunt us. All in all a good signing for you guys. 

It appears that quick and direct is exactly what we're going for in our team so hopefully he's a good fit.

If Loy and Davis were to follow in the next few weeks, I'd be absolutely delighted.

We are going to be a quick, busy, nippy team next year. There was that Albion fan said Stewart was pretty mobile for a man of his height, too.

Spurs-style pressing from the front, would be my guess. Of course, they've got a Wanyama sitting in there for security...

5 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Or has he St mirren facebook page in full flow because tweet has been deleted

He has. There's a wee issue at the Hearts side though regarding the completion of paperwork apparently and the tweet has been taken down in the meantime...

Bit of a blunder if that's the case.

Edited by djchapsticks

Signed Reilly eh? 

He was never quick nor direct for us, his closing down was awful aswell.

He might well turn out to be OK for St Mirren but there's a reason he's only scored 4?goals from open play in 2 seasons. He showed absolutely no redeeming features in his time at Dunfermline.

Shankland has a better goals to game ratio.

Genuinely surprised if Reilly is as bad as Pars fans are making him out to be that Ross has seemed so keen to get him.

Based on his January business he's looked pretty shrewd in transfer dealings, and given how early this still is, it's hardly a knee-jerk desperation signing.

I'm therefore more than happy to give Ross the benefit of the doubt and believe he knows how he can Make Reilly Great Again :-)!

Genuinely surprised if Reilly is as bad as Pars fans are making him out to be that Ross has seemed so keen to get him.

Based on his January business he's looked pretty shrewd in transfer dealings, and given how early this still is, it's hardly a knee-jerk desperation signing.

I'm therefore more than happy to give Ross the benefit of the doubt and believe he knows how he can Make Reilly Great Again :-)!

There's a player in there somewhere, but for some reason, things really didn't work at us. He looked incredibly low on confidence and uninterested when he was with us.

A regular run in the team and a couple of goals, and you'll have a totally different player than we did. From what I can gather, he seems to have fallen out of love with the game a bit, and is sick of sitting on the bench. Instead of knuckling down and trying to prove himself at Dunfermline, he sulked, which meant he fell down the pecking order.

When we won the new year Derby, he came off the bench late on. At full time, he was our only player, including subs, that didn't come to thank the fans. He just walked down the tunnel, looking miserable. That's when I accepted that he was not going to be any kind of asset for us in the second half of the season.

Maybe this move will help him revive his career. Maybe he's had a bit of a reality check. If not, I'm sure he will soon - sounds like Ross doesn't accept poor attitudes from players. He's probably a stronger character than Johnston, when it comes to putting players in their place.

Think of the worst player that's ever played for St Mirren then multiply his shitness by Shankland and you're halfway to how bad Reilly is. 

Edit: what's equally as depressing from our point of view is we'll probably sign Shankland. 

Edited by Jimmy85