The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 hours ago, flyingscot said:

He got offered a new deal by all accounts. I suspect it wasn't good enough money wise. I'd have liked him to stay as I think over time he'd probably replace Irvine. 

Will be interesting to see where he ends up if he's turned down a new deal from us.  I liked him a lot but I can't imagine there will be many better offers on the table.

When he signed the first time everyone told us how bad he was, and he turned out to be excellent.

I think he'd be a good addition to the squad.

Was he that great? Obviously there was the penalty save and the legendary status that went with winning the cup but I'm not sure excellent is how I'd describe him.

Better get used to people scoring 20 yard daisycutters again. 
It's a bit of a meh signing in all honesty. He's not had a great couple of years and feel we could get better.

That's how i remember it. Cut in from the right wing and shoot low to his right hand side. Saw it so many times.

Was he that great? Obviously there was the penalty save and the legendary status that went with winning the cup but I'm not sure excellent is how I'd describe him.

He wasn't a world beater, but he was as good a keeper as we had in our 10 years in the SPL.

I'm not sure what available keepers would be better at this level.

Samson very rarely has a bang average match. He either makes two or three decent stops or he drops an absolute clanger. Whilst the defence in front of him last season were questionable at best, he made costly mistakes most weeks in the first half of the season.

Post Christmas, he was fairly solid for a couple of months and had a couple of good games. Made a few mistakes (mainly palming the ball directly to a strikers feet instead of away from goal) in the lead up to the split. It all came to a head with one to many mistakes when he dropped a ball at the feet of a Dundee player for them to take the lead in a match that we were in complete control. Robinson clearly had enough and dropped him (with 4 games to go and us up shit creek) for an inexperienced 21 GK on loan from Everton... writing was on the wall for Samson from that point.

Overall, would I want him as number one at my club? No as I think we can attack better but I think at Championship level he is a good enough standard keeper.

Good luck to him!

11 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

33w7btg.gif

Real talk for a second, can you see any redeeming features to his game? Does he work hard? Harry defences? Did you ever get the impression there was a player in there who just CBA to come out, for whatever reason (see Hardie at Saints last season)?

Would he work in one of the wide positions in a 4-3-3?

It's not a signing that is filling me with confidence.

Fwiw I think Samson will probably do alright at St Mirren but having read the thread about him over on B&W Army it's genuinely like they're talking about a different player to the one we experienced at Fir Park.

Mitch pretty much covers it above but while it's fair to say that Samson didn't get much protection it was also clear that the players in front of him had absolutely no confidence in him which was a root cause of our problems. Many of the goals we conceded were less about Samson being exposed and more down to mistakes from him and our defence having to defend on our 6 yard box because Samson would rarely come off his line.

I wish him well and as I said in our own thread and the Dumbarton one when he was linked with them, I think Samson was handled very poorly by McGhee and his confidence must have been utterly shot.

No matter how many mistakes he made (a lot) or points he cost (quite a few) McGhee just kept playing him week in week out with no respite. The obvious and sensible thing to have done would have been to bench him and give him a break maybe after dropping the ball at Steven Maclean's feet at 1-1 with 8mins to go to cost us the game or shipping 5 to Celtic or spilling a 25 yard shot straight at him at 1-1 against Aberdeen and giving away a pen but he kept playing and we kept shipping cheap goals. Carl McHugh in particular looked like he genuinely wanted to murder Samson at various points in the run in and it was Samson's absolute shitemare in first half injury time against Dundee at 0-0 that finally forced Robinson to make a change and drop him with 4 games to go.

Given the number of games he's played for St Mirren and given there's a bit of goodwill towards him off the back of the league cup win I can see the drop down a division working out for him but there's really no argument that he was anything other than a terrible, terrible goalkeeper for Motherwell.

Edited by capt_oats

29 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Fwiw I think Samson will probably do alright at St Mirren but having read the thread about him over on B&W Army it's genuinely like they're talking about a different player to the one we experienced at Fir Park.

Mitch pretty much covers it above but while it's fair to say that Samson didn't get much protection it was also clear that the players in front of him had absolutely no confidence in Samson which was a root cause of our problems. Many of the goals we conceded were less about Samson being exposed and more down to mistakes from him and our defence having to defend on our 6 yard box because Samson would rarely come off his line.

I wish him well as I said in our own thread and the Dumbarton one when he was linked with them, I think Samson was handled very poorly by McGhee and his confidence must have been utterly shot.

No matter how many mistakes he made (a lot) or points he cost (quite a few) McGhee just kept playing him week in week out with no respite. The obvious and sensible thing to have done would have been to bench him and give him a break maybe after dropping the ball at Steven Maclean's feet at 1-1 with 8mins to go to cost us the game or shipping 5 to Celtic or spilling a 25 yard shot straight at him at 1-1 against Aberdeen and giving away a pen but he kept playing and we kept shipping cheap goals. Carl McHugh in particular looked like he genuinely wanted to murder Samson at various points in the run in and it was Samson's absolute shitemare in first half injury time against Dundee at 0-0 that finally forced Robinson to make a change and drop him with 4 games to go.

Given the number of games he's played for St Mirren and given there's a bit of goodwill towards him off the back of the league cup win I can see the drop down a division working out for him but there's really no argument that he was anything other than a terrible, terrible goalkeeper for Motherwell.

He wasn't a decent shot stopper at all, and didn't come off his line. A few years down the line is he going to any better ?

The league cup win bought him a lot of goodwill, but a lot of fans thought he was better than he actually was.

41 minutes ago, monthelie' said:

He wasn't a decent shot stopper at all, and didn't come off his line. A few years down the line is he going to any better ?

The league cup win bought him a lot of goodwill, but a lot of fans thought he was better than he actually was.

Probably not tbh.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by capt_oats

It's fucking weird to see so many posters from other clubs falling over themselves to tell us how poor Samson is. In fact Ross Stewart will almost certainly hold down the starting place with Samson as back up. 

The championship keeper of last season was Cammy Bell who makes plenty of high profile f**k ups, what do people honestly expect at this level.

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Lots of gifs...

Mistake after mistake, no doubt. But I 'm also seeing a defence that is always beaten to the second ball, fails to close down, fails to track runners...

I'm not disputing that he should do better for all of those, but your defence clearly wasn't great either.

He'll be a perfectly ok part of our squad.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Mistake after mistake, no doubt. But I 'm also seeing a defence that is always beaten to the second ball, fails to close down, fails to track runners...

I'm not disputing that he should do better for all of those, but your defence clearly wasn't great either.

He'll be a perfectly ok part of our squad.

Absolutely, as I said in my post in the previous page I think Samson will do reasonably well in the Championship.

There's no question that we were poor defensively it's the reason we were sat 2nd bottom for a large part of the season and it's why the manager is in the process of gutting the squad. However there's no getting away from the fact that Samson was a terrible goalkeeper for us. It was clear very early on that our defence had no confidence in him. They were having to react to basic mistakes that you wouldn't expect a competent keeper at that level to be making, it's little wonder they were on the back foot. You can account for the occasional error however with Samson it was consistent though for reasons best known to himself McGhee chose not to address it. 

I'd also be quite surprised if he doesn't start the season as your first choice 'keeper tbh. Either way, good luck to the guy I'm just relieved he's no longer a Motherwell player.

Edited by capt_oats

48 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It's fucking weird to see so many posters from other clubs falling over themselves to tell us how poor Samson is. In fact Ross Stewart will almost certainly hold down the starting place with Samson as back up. 

The championship keeper of last season was Cammy Bell who makes plenty of high profile f**k ups, what do people honestly expect at this level.

Best keeper last season was Alan Martin.Surprised you did not go for him.You must be looking at the playoffs this season your squad is as good as anyone's in the league

4 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Best keeper last season was Alan Martin.Surprised you did not go for him.You must be looking at the playoffs this season your squad is as good as anyone's in the league

I'm not sure it is, just yet, tbh. If we add Loy, I'll be much happier. I'd also like to see Morgan extend his contract - still worried someone might come in in for him later in the summer.

31 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'm not sure it is, just yet, tbh. If we add Loy, I'll be much happier. I'd also like to see Morgan extend his contract - still worried someone might come in in for him later in the summer.

Huddersfield were very interested in Morgan a few months ago but I'm not sure that's still the case after their promotion. 

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That was your first mistake.