The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

25 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Alan Martin hadn't played a great deal when we signed him either, and he turned out to be a revelation.

It's a matter of personal opinion I think. However if you gave me the choice I'd rather have Gallacher. I've not watched either week in week out like you have though, so you'll know their strengths and weaknesses better than me.

Being a good shot stopper is the absolute minimum requirement for a GK. Samson isn't even that.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Alan Martin hadn't played a great deal when we signed him either, and he turned out to be a revelation.

It's a matter of personal opinion I think. However if you gave me the choice I'd rather have Gallacher. I've not watched either week in week out like you have though, so you'll know their strengths and weaknesses better than me.

I'd probably have Clangers instead of Gallacher. 

Gallacher's strengths can be found below:

6 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Gallacher's strengths can be found below:

Given Saints fans said the same about Stuart Carswell, I'll reserve judgement.

To be honest we're now at the stage where I'm desperate for us to sign anyone. We've haemorrhaged good players so far, and replaced them with a list I've compiled below:

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Was Martin your goalie from last season? Has he left? I thought he was pretty good. Gallacher is a massive downgrade from him.

20 minutes ago, GAD said:

Was Martin your goalie from last season? Has he left? I thought he was pretty good. Gallacher is a massive downgrade from him.

He was indeedy, and he has indeedy. He joined Queen of the South about a fortnight ago. To be honest whoever we sign will likely be a huge downgrade. He's as good as I've seen at the club.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He was indeedy, and he has indeedy. He joined Queen of the South about a fortnight ago. To be honest whoever we sign will likely be a huge downgrade. He's as good as I've seen at the club.

Actually to be fair to Gallacher, he could probably do quite well for you. The saints team he was playing in was a total basket case and his confidence was shot. Dumbarton seem to get the best out of these guys.

It's looking like Stelios is away. He came, he saw, he fucked the Ton, and he went.

Here 's the man himself putting two Ton defenders on their arse while casually slotting home.

DR51LA.gif

Real shame as you don't get many goalscoring fullbacks, but I think he was always likely to be using us as a stepping stone. 

Here's to the gems you can unearth if you know where to look. Such as LinkedIn. :thumsup2

Edited by Coventry Saint

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's looking like Stelios is away. He came, he saw, he fucked the Ton, and he went.

Here 's the man himself putting two Ton defenders on their arse while casually slotting home.

DR51LA.gif

Real shame as you don't get many goalscoring fullbacks, but I think he was always likely to be using us as a stepping stone. 

Here's to the gems you can unearth if you know where to look. Such as LinkedIn. :thumsup2

I think he wanted to stay, he certainly hinted at it plenty on social media. 

More a case of him not being offered a new deal than anything I would guess.  He never nailed down a starting place with us, can't imagine he's going to be getting many better offers.

Delighted we got Samson though, he's by no means the perfect keeper but a team who just finished 19th in Scotland can't reasonably expect to be doing any better.  He has vast amounts of experience in the top flight, he'll do just fine.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Why didn't he get kept on? Thought he was a decent enough player at this level. 

7 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Why didn't he get kept on? Thought he was a decent enough player at this level. 

If you look at his career so far, he's been at quite a few different places. That doesn't bother me in itself, but you do wonder if he (or his agent) is always chasing a new/better wage or signing on fee. I think he'd do well to stay at a club for at least a couple of years and see if he can force his way in.

His stay at the Saints has been very much like Isma's. Brief, successful, scored a few important goals, instant cult hero, fucked off!

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If you look at his career so far, he's been at quite a few different places. That doesn't bother me in itself, but you do wonder if he (or his agent) is always chasing a new/better wage or signing on fee. I think he'd do well to stay at a club for at least a couple of years and see if he can force his way in.

His stay at the Saints has been very much like Isma's. Brief, successful, scored a few important goals, instant cult hero, fucked off!

A bit like Gavin Gunning for us minus the goals. In some ways it's good he's gone. You'll be able to remember all the good he did for St Mirren in such a short space of time instead of him signing on again and maybe having a shiter of a season. 

3 minutes ago, Scosha said:

A bit like Gavin Gunning for us minus the goals. In some ways it's good he's gone. You'll be able to remember all the good he did for St Mirren in such a short space of time instead of him signing on again and maybe having a shiter of a season. 

Yeah, agreed. A bit like a holiday romance, mebbe: it'd only go sour if you tried to stretch it out.

All things being equal, I'd absolutely love it if he stayed, but there's a sense Jack didn't totally trust him, so I'm happy to go with whoever's decision it was for him to move on.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

DR51LA.gif

For what it's worth I heard all that came from the LinkedIn stuff was a guy coming on trial who we didn't sign.

Disappointed if he's off, especially as we had an option for another year. Shame I missed him against Hibs and Morton.