The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Samson seems to be one of the rare players like DVZ to play his best stuff for us and be poor elsewhere.

I think for the level we are at he would be a good signing. He is tagged under the legendary status because of the penalty save in the semi final and of course winning the final, would be a shame if he was to come here and flop.

5 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Better get used to people scoring 20 yard daisycutters again. 

It's a bit of a meh signing in all honesty. He's not had a great couple of years and feel we could get better.

Ross Stewart was GK in the L1 team of the season. Very likely he'll start the season as first choice.

7 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Would be absolutely fine with that. 

:lol: So you rate Scott Gallacher more highly than Craig Samson? 

I don't think Samson is a top keeper by any means. He's far superior to Gallacher though. 

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

:lol: So you rate Scott Gallacher more highly than Craig Samson? 

I don't think Samson is a top keeper by any means. He's far superior to Gallacher though. 

Samson may have been better, but I'd far rather have Scott Gallacher in a Sons' shirt next season than him. I've never been a Samson fan and, given he'd command a reasonable wage by our standards, Gallacher would represent far better value.

I would've had Ross Stewart over the two of them, but someone else pinched him first...

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Ross Stewart was GK in the L1 team of the season. Very likely he'll start the season as first choice.

I can't see Samson coming to us for a place on the bench, nor us paying that much money for a reserve keeper.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Samson may have been better, but I'd far rather have Scott Gallacher in a Sons' shirt next season than him. I've never been a Samson fan and, given he'd command a reasonable wage by our standards, Gallacher would represent far better value.

I would've had Ross Stewart over the two of them, but someone else pinched him first...

I take your point about him being cheaper, but Gallacher probably hasn't even played 50 games in his entire career, Samson will have played as many in the last few seasons, and at a higher level.

Samson is a far better keeper than Gallacher.

Just now, houston_bud said:

I take your point about him being cheaper, but Gallacher probably hasn't even played 50 games in his entire career, Samson will have played as many in the last few seasons, and at a higher level.

Samson is a far better keeper than Gallacher.

Alan Martin hadn't played a great deal when we signed him either, and he turned out to be a revelation.

It's a matter of personal opinion I think. However if you gave me the choice I'd rather have Gallacher. I've not watched either week in week out like you have though, so you'll know their strengths and weaknesses better than me.