The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just off 4night shifts and I see it's all calmed down - no posts in two days.

I guess we're just waiting for the JR to return from his hols to announce the rest of our new signings.

With his new bumper contract I look forward to seeing JR's new wardrobe.

nintchdbpict000272146508.jpg?strip=all&w=771

2 minutes ago, btb said:

Just off 4night shifts and I see it's all calmed down - no posts in two days.

I guess we're just waiting for the JR to return from his hols to announce the rest of our new signings.

With his new bumper contract I look forward to seeing JR's new wardrobe.

Imagine how fucking sharp he's going to look. :wub:

Yeah, it's very quiet in here. Feels weird.

My theories about our summer business are as follows:

1) Of the players we had last year who are yet to come re-sign, only Loy is still realistic. I hope we're not waiting all summer for him, though, because we need goals. We'll score less from midfield this season so a striker is top of the list, as far as I'm concerned.

2) We've taken a few P/T players, so it was obviously important to get them in as early as possible, as (you'd imagine) they will require the longest amount of time to get up to speed with training full time. Also, I assume, if they have day jobs, some of them will be having to work notice (I don't know what, if anything, Kirkpatrick, the Ross Stewarts and Buchanan did for a living, that's just supposition).

3) Despite the early work we've done, we still need: GK, CH, RB (based on the idea that Irvine can cover both sides), DM, CF.

4) The one area we're well stocked in is nippy not-quite-strikers, so I expect we'll be playing a fluid 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 this season. Morgan, Magennis, Smith, Kirkpatrick

I think our first choice XI currently looks like this:

------------------Stewart-----------------------

Irvine - McKenzie - Buchanan - Eckersley

------------------McGinn----------------------

Magennis----Kirkpatrick----Morgan

-----------Smith----------------------------

------------------Stewart/Sutton-----------

I'm not sure that totally works as Kirkpatrick and Smith are kind of filling the same hole. But like i said, it'll probably be pretty fluid. Glaring gaps for me at the base of midfield with McGinn and up front.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

1) Of the players we had last year who are yet to come re-sign, only Loy is still realistic. I hope we're not waiting all summer for him, though, because we need goals. We'll score less from midfield this season so a striker is top of the list, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not expecting Loy to be available. If Dundee don't make a quick call on it, we should make sure we have someone else in mind. 

Stelios seems to have stalled on a new contract, but might still be back. O'Brien doesn't seem to have been offered one- probably can't match his wages at Man City. 

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

2) We've taken a few P/T players, so it was obviously important to get them in as early as possible, as (you'd imagine) they will require the longest amount of time to get up to speed with training full time. Also, I assume, if they have day jobs, some of them will be having to work notice (I don't know what, if anything, Kirkpatrick, the Ross Stewarts and Buchanan did for a living, that's just supposition).

3) Despite the early work we've done, we still need: GK, CH, RB (based on the idea that Irvine can cover both sides), DM, CF.

4) The one area we're well stocked in is nippy not-quite-strikers, so I expect we'll be playing a fluid 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 this season. Morgan, Magennis, Smith, Kirkpatrick

I think our first choice XI currently looks like this:

------------------Stewart-----------------------

Irvine - McKenzie - Buchanan - Eckersley

------------------McGinn----------------------

Magennis----Kirkpatrick----Morgan

-----------Smith----------------------------

------------------Stewart/Sutton-----------

I'm not sure that totally works as Kirkpatrick and Smith are kind of filling the same hole. But like i said, it'll probably be pretty fluid. Glaring gaps for me at the base of midfield with McGinn and up front.

When everyone was fit Sutton was on the bench and I do not see that changing. His League scoring rate was very poor and he does not fit in with the fast attacking style that Jack likes. Sutton gives us an alternative from the bench but doubt he will start many games next season. Loy has to be the target or we'll find someone else.

Just now, NorthBank said:

When everyone was fit Sutton was on the bench and I do not see that changing. His League scoring rate was very poor and he does not fit in with the fast attacking style that Jack likes. Sutton gives us an alternative from the bench but doubt he will start many games next season. Loy has to be the target or we'll find someone else.

Yeah, fair enough - I only stuck him there because Stewart is an unknown quantity and we've yet to sign anyone else. But yeah, mobility is the way forward this season.

Obviously it looks like Reilly is coming in, but again, I don't see him being a first choice, TBH. 

17 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I'm not expecting Loy to be available. If Dundee don't make a quick call on it, we should make sure we have someone else in mind. 

Stelios seems to have stalled on a new contract, but might still be back. O'Brien doesn't seem to have been offered one- probably can't match his wages at Man City. 

I'd love to see Stelios back but the delay seems to go against a return. He's within his rights to see what else is out there, I guess, but he'd be perfect for a 'three full-backs' squad as he can play both sides.

Agree about quick decision on Loy. McCann must have a vague idea if he's wanted - but he has a year to run and is a decent player, so Dundee might even want a small fee, despite being a massive huge club with hunners of money n tha'.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, fair enough - I only stuck him there because Stewart is an unknown quantity and we've yet to sign anyone else. But yeah, mobility is the way forward this season.

Obviously it looks like Reilly is coming in, but again, I don't see him being a first choice, TBH. 

I'd love to see Stelios back but the delay seems to go against a return. He's within his rights to see what else is out there, I guess, but he'd be perfect for a 'three full-backs' squad as he can play both sides.

Agree about quick decision on Loy. McCann must have a vague idea if he's wanted - but he has a year to run and is a decent player, so Dundee might even want a small fee, despite being a massive huge club with hunners of money n tha'.

Should tell them we'll take Loy and settle Hartley's legal situation for them. Then we stiff Hartley. Win Win. 

Edited by flyingscot

Loy is clearly still the one we want and I'd agree with that. Reilly will be semi-regular but I certainly don't see Jack pinning his hopes wholly on him. 

There was also a murmur a few weeks ago that Buchanan coming in certainly didn't render Harry Davis deal dead. That being said we can't and won't hang around forever, especially given he's injured. Someone on BAWA pointed out that Gavin Gunning is without a club and he'd certainly be someone I'd like to see if Davis isn't viable. 

Agree pretty much exactly with Coventry Saint in terms of what we need. I'd even argue we could use cover on the right wing and two forwards rather than one. I'd imagine it's a massive stretch to suggest we'll sign another seven at this point though. Depends on when we finally get word from Stelios I guess as he's the RB cover we would be waiting for and one less new signing we won't need. 

Bit miffed we've still heard nothing from the club regarding guys like Fjelde and Clarkson though. 

Edited by djchapsticks

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Loy is clearly still the one we want and I'd agree with that. Reilly will be semi-regular but I certainly don't see Jack pinning his hopes wholly on him. 

There was also a murmur a few weeks ago that Buchanan coming in certainly didn't render Harry Davis deal dead. That being said we can't and won't hang around forever, especially given he's injured. Someone on BAWA pointed out that Gavin Gunning is without a club and he'd certainly be someone I'd like to see if Davis isn't viable. 

Agree pretty much exactly with Coventry Saint in terms of what we need. I'd even argue we could use cover on the right wing and two forwards rather than one. I'd imagine it's a massive stretch to suggest we'll sign another seven at this point though. Depends on when we finally get word from Stelios I guess as he's the RB cover we would be waiting for and one less new signing we won't need. 

Bit miffed we've still heard nothing from the club regarding guys like Fjelde and Clarkson though. 

I think the most influential poster in P&B history might not be so keen on that idea...

There is no suggestion that we're looking at him or even remotely interested.

To say he wouldn't sign for us though, presumably out of a misguided belief that he holds any sort of loyalty to a club he chucked after 5 months is a bit delusional.