The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Surely the one over whelming factor in this is that Jack Ross is a big Dundee fan and has been since he was at school. I'm sure if they offer him a decent deal he'll be away. Lets face it who would knock back the team they support when they come calling?

He started off his footballing career their too.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

6 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

It's simply not. I've explained above why that is the case. Could it be consider a step up? Possibly, is it a "significant" step? No, not even in the slightest, unless of course you consider something like St Mirren a significant step up from Raith Rovers.

Its a significant step up.  Going from a lower mid table Championship side to a lower end Premiership side with a big budget is a significant step up.

All that is guaranteed is that St Mirren will be playing Championship football next season, and Dundee Premiership football.  That’s a pretty gap in anyones eyes.

I would consider St Mirren a pretty darn big step up from Raith Rovers to be honest, especially given our current plight. 

If anything this thread shows how passionate Saints are for Jack Ross to stay. I'm old enough to remember the Fergie days at St Mirren that feel good factor has only just returned and it shows with our gates risen which will grow more with Rose's brand of football. Ross will stay at St Mirren but everytime a manager position comes up Jack will always be wanted as such I would like to see us renew his contact with a rise this guy is a special one the type that don't come along often. Watch this man guys he will go far in the game. 

Why exactly would it be impossible for a good manager to take Dundee into the top six? Why is avoiding relegation the limit of their ambitions? If Partick could get into the top six this season, why couldn't Dundee in the future? There is a tendency for people to overstate how big a club Dundee are these days, but they clearly still have the potential to be a top six side again.

There is absolutely no suggestion they cannot be top 6, but look at who is likely to be their competition. Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen (and probably) Hearts - with or without Cathro - are likely to take up 4 of the places, leaving 2. St Johnstone are almost perennial top 6 finishers so we have one place left. Arguably County's backer is far richer than the Americans that bankroll Dundee. Thistle have had a lot of cash invested in them. Hibs would have to be in for a shot at the top 6. So really it's a case of diminishing returns the more you actually look at it.

Dundee were competing at the high levels of European competitions, but that's (many) decades ago, so going by the logic of "they've done it once so they can do it again" really you can't argue against them being capable of top 6. It's whether they would be is a different matter and the truth of that is you can't really say until Ross was actually in the job so we are both dealing in conjecture here. I take your opinion, but surely you have to see mine.

Again, it's not so massive a step-up that he'd be crazy to turn it down and you can see why he'd choose to stay, but the suggestion that Dundee isn't a significant step-up from St. Mirren is ridiculous.

The word I have issue with is "significant". I have debated whether it is a step up in my first post (or posts as it seems, sorry I can't seem to delete me earlier double post), and obviously I have tailored that to suit my argument but it's by no means going out on a limb. (Re)building the team, the stadium and the facilities is maybe a big job that Ross

I would consider St Mirren a pretty darn big step up from Raith Rovers to be honest, especially given our current plight.

Probably shouldn't have used Rovers in that example.. ;)

I suppose you've got to try and convince yourself that the better option for him is staying. He may not fancy the set up at Dundee just now you never know but to neutrals its hard to see why he wouldn't go.

1. Dundee fan.

2. Dundee are a bigger club.

3. Dundee are in the Premiership.

4. Higher wages for him.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

31 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Yeah, as a summary of the situation I'd call that pretty way off. Those totally shite freefall teams didn't just give up. Dumbarton, yourselves and several others didn't just walk up and say "you know, we can't be f*cked, you just have the points".

As for the division being harder next season? Did you miss the years where there was Hibs, Hearts and Rangers in the league? Compare that to a demoralised and managerless Inverness and a United side with financial worries, add in a presumably (and ever present) solid Falkirk and you have arguably the weakest division for some years.

Perhaps your post was kidology, and if it was well done you have snared me into a reply, but only because the points you make do not match up with the reality of what happened and what will happen.

Raith were in freefall and Ayr did their traditional collapse. You finished ahead of another part time team on goal difference. Mallan is away. You couldn't beat us and we're not very good, Inverness won the league last time they dropped down, Falkirk and United are going to be the two favourites. Just saying that the timing for Ross to get out would be ideal - his stock is high and he's not daft so will know that a few bad results early in the season and he could be the guy overseeing a lower league mess, rather than being seen as the miracle worker.

17 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I suppose you've got to try and convince yourself that the better option for him is staying. He may not fancy the set up at Dundee just now you never know but to neutrals its hard to see why he wouldn't go.

1. Dundee fan.

2. Dundee are a bigger club.

3. Dundee are in the Premiership.

4. Higher wages for him.

I, for one, am not trying to convince myself.

Dundee's last set of accounts show -

They made a £530,00 loss last season.

Club wages increased by £175,000 (to just avoid relegation).

Maintenance bill for a dilapidated stadium increased by £50,000 last season.

An additional £500,000 will be required next season for rent increases.

Not much scope for a player war chest there. Reasonably, a 1 in 7 chance of a top six play-off. Better odds for bottom six.

St Mirren

No debt.

Some of the best training facilities and one of the best academies in Scotland attracting young talent (half our squad the last 5 years has been Academy players). We sold 3 this year with a potential income of 7 figures. We have sell-on clauses for McGinn (33%) and McLean (10%) potentially generating income this year. And we have two standout young academy players in the team at the moment attracting a lot of attention (Morgan and Magennis) with more talent in the pipeline. ie steady income from player sales.

New ambitious board.

Jack signed loads of players based on his personality - will he walk away from these people after promising them an all out attack at winning the Championship next season?

St Mirren are a club in an upward trajectory. Dundee are treading water at best with little scope for development and a chance to shine. Jack has already started his plan at St Mirren over the last six months by getting rid of almost all the incumbents and bringing in his own men and recently added to that squad. At Dundee he would have to start all over again. St Mirren may get into the Premiership this time next year and become another bottom six club like Dundee. But this season they have a great opportunity to do something and Jack will take that opportunity.

18 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I, for one, am not trying to convince myself.

Dundee's last set of accounts show -

They made a £530,00 loss last season.

Club wages increased by £175,000 (to just avoid relegation).

Maintenance bill for a dilapidated stadium increased by £50,000 last season.

An additional £500,000 will be required next season for rent increases.

Not much scope for a player war chest there. Reasonably, a 1 in 7 chance of a top six play-off. Better odds for bottom six.

St Mirren

No debt.

Some of the best training facilities and one of the best academies in Scotland attracting young talent (half our squad the last 5 years has been Academy players). We sold 3 this year with a potential income of 7 figures. We have sell-on clauses for McGinn (33%) and McLean (10%) potentially generating income this year. And we have two standout young academy players in the team at the moment attracting a lot of attention (Morgan and Magennis) with more talent in the pipeline. ie steady income from player sales.

New ambitious board.

Jack signed loads of players based on his personality - will he walk away from these people after promising them an all out attack at winning the Championship next season?

St Mirren are a club in an upward trajectory. Dundee are treading water at best with little scope for development and a chance to shine. Jack has already started his plan at St Mirren over the last six months by getting rid of almost all the incumbents and bringing in his own men and recently added to that squad. At Dundee he would have to start all over again. St Mirren may get into the Premiership this time next year and become another bottom six club like Dundee. But this season they have a great opportunity to do something and Jack will take that opportunity.

All that means feck all if you've got an emotional attachment to the other club though. And their player budget will still swamp St Mirrens next season. I can assure you of that.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I'd be using this opportunity to stick a years extension under Jack's nose with a nice wage rise. Get that compensation fee high enough that the only clubs who can take him on would be a significant step up and not one we could realistically pass next season. 

GLS pretty much guaranteed Jack's job in December when all looked lost and I don't think Jack Ross will forget that. However, money talks and it's not outwith the realms to be backing out biggest asset with the pay he deserves. 

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd be using this opportunity to stick a years extension under Jack's nose with a nice wage rise. Get that compensation fee high enough that the only clubs who can take him on would be a significant step up and not one we could realistically pass next season. 

GLS pretty much guaranteed Jack's job in December when all looked lost and I don't think Jack Ross will forget that. However, money talks and it's not outwith the realms to be backing out biggest asset with the pay he deserves. 

I doubt Increasing his wages slightly will make any difference. Dundee will still be able to pay him more. The only thing that will stop him going to Dundee is if he doesn't feel comfortable with the current owners up there. It might be the only chance he gets to manage his team though which is bound to have a strong pull.