The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, BuddieInDundee said:

I'd be surprised, not saying that he wouldn't leave us for you (musing that hypothetical has the potential to open up an unnecessary can of worms), but more that I'd be surprised that Dundee would go for him. He's only proven himself at Championship level for less than six months discounting November/December's form.

It's certainly a risk in that regard.

The problem is though, most of the names that have been speculated generally have quite a bit of baggage with them. Guys like Yogi and Houston have some good records to their name at top flight level but have recently ended up fighting with boards and it's pretty difficult to tell how good their records are in context.

If it's somebody unproven at top flight level, I think Ross stands out. The only worry I have is just that compensation money may mean he'd be more restricted in what he could do if that took away from his budget. No idea what the finances on offer would be but we've put in planning permission for a new stadium so it'd perhaps be quite costly if we did get relegated so I think the new guy will be well supported.

14 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Jack supported Dundee as a young boy. Would hate to lose him. The only comfort I can take is his comments = I'm here till I get St Mirren back to where they belong. 

Well you belong in the Championship so mission accomplished.

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We are apparently trying to poach Jack Ross off you according to the bookies. He's just been made odds on favourite. Have we emailed Div?

3/1 favourite. Not odds on. 

Anyway, keep going West along the M8 about 15 miles past Paisley for your new gaffer. Nothing to see here. 

13 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Well you belong in the Championship so mission accomplished.

Let's see if you can coach him away while I'm a wee bit worried Jack has been working hard building a team he wants and the players want. Dundee are a struggling team with little funds hence Neil walked away. The Yanks will drag you down mate, you might not want to hear that but I strongly believe it. 

Let's see if you can coach him away while I'm a wee bit worried Jack has been working hard building a team he wants and the players want. Dundee are a struggling team with little funds hence Neil walked away. The Yanks will drag you down mate, you might not want to hear that but I strongly believe it. 

Based on what exactly?

7 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

If Jack goes through the process of asking himself if he can work with owners etc that he went through when he selected us, then he'll go nowhere. Dundee are a bit of a basketcase being run by the Americans. 

If Jack goes through the process of asking himself if he can work with owners etc that he went through when he selected us, then he'll go nowhere. Dundee are a bit of a basketcase being run by the Americans. 

Again - based on what?

To be fair to the Americans, they got us promoted and we're about to start our 4th year in the top league with the 6th/7th biggest budget in the league.

They got rid of Brown at the right time, Hartley was initially a good appointment but when he started to make a mess of it they got rid of him too just in time to keep us up. We may well go down next season, but not because of the Americans.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Again - based on what?

Based on the fact that Dundee seemed to have bounced from mess to mess in the last few seasons. 

Much like the situation with Stevie Mallan and the £60k bid last season, it's hopefully all a bit pie in the sky and wishful thinking. There is very few clubs in Scotland who can afford to take another full time club's manager with two years to run on his deal. 

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

Do St Mirren fans always come out with confident yet ultimately baseless assertions?

Again, a bit rich considering Dundee fans were telling us for the best part on 3 months last season that Stevie Mallan was a stick on for them yet their club couldn't even muster a third of the fee it would have taken to do so. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Based on the fact that Dundee seemed to have bounced from mess to mess in the last few seasons. 

Much like the situation with Stevie Mallan and the £60k bid last season, it's hopefully all a bit pie in the sky and wishful thinking. There is very few clubs in Scotland who can afford to take another full time club's manager with two years to run on his deal. 

So Dundee are a basketcase with the Americans in charge because they attempted to get a player on the cheap?

So Dundee are a basketcase with the Americans in charge because they attempted to get a player on the cheap?

And because we couldn't agree a deal, that's apparently 'mess to mess'.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Again - based on what?

Don't know the whole financial situation from the outside looking in would ask why Neil walked out after negotiations. The Americans tried to get St Mirren before Dundee but our then chairman would not sell saying they were not suitable. I'm not having a dig at Dundee here a successful Dundee have good potential for pulling good crowds. 

Don't know the whole financial situation from the outside looking in would ask why Neil walked out after negotiations. The Americans tried to get St Mirren before Dundee but our then chairman would not sell saying they were not suitable. I'm not having a dig at Dundee here a successful Dundee have good potential for pulling good crowds. 

They've backed us well, they've stood by their only permanent manager (Some would argue a little too long). Made a glorious left field appointment in McCann who saved us. Have plans to build us a new stadium and training complex.

No one knows what has happened with McCann so you're reaching a bit in your assertion there.