Ladbrokes Championship Manager of the Season

10 players in, 10 players out and a net gain in terms of transfer money is certainly not 'spending a pile of cash'. 
Indeed everything was finely balanced until we sold Kyle McAllister two days before the window closed and that allowed him to bring in Stephen McGinn and Harry Davis. 
A massive disservice to summarise that he spent a pile of cash when the reality is he wheeled and dealed on practically a one in one out basis. 

If we wanted the club propaganda sheet then we'd have listened again to Div's nauseating, sycophantic appearance on Off The Ball last weekend tbh. You've simply regurgitated the same lines.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, virginton said:

If we wanted the club propaganda sheet then we'd have listened again to Div's nauseating, sycophantic appearance on Off The Ball last weekend tbh. You've simply regurgitated the same lines.

Never got the chance to listen in but Div's likely to have spoken the truth because that's what happened.

I already led the debate prior to you piping up with the PR-massaged drivel provided by your club. Which you then regurgitated without much scrutiny like a Falkirk fan. Just let that sink in.

My favourite line incidentally among that rap lecture was the claim that Lawrence Shankland leaving and a fans' fund total supposedly made the Rory Loy deal cost-neutral. Which is truly laughable given the widespread knowledge that Morton were in for Loy and instead washed up with Shankland; although perhaps he just voluntarily agreed to a large cut in his formerly luxurious wages. Mirth underlined by the unconfirmed but widespread understanding that Loy received a substantial bonus in his contract that more than accounted for the reasonable sum raised by your fanbase. I believe that ten thousand pounds was the figure. Hence explaining why he signed for a gubbins outfit at the bottom of the league in the first place.

You can dress up your slithering job in multiple ways, but as a cost-neutral, squad-improving miracle job? Complete and utter bollocks.

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

I already led the debate prior to you piping up with the PR-massaged drivel provided by your club. Which you then regurgitated without much scrutiny like a Falkirk fan. Just let that sink in.

My favourite line incidentally among that rap lecture was the claim that Lawrence Shankland leaving and a fans' fund total supposedly made the Rory Loy deal cost-neutral. Which is truly laughable given the widespread knowledge that Morton were in for Loy and instead washed up with Shankland; although perhaps he just voluntarily agreed to a large cut in his formerly luxurious wages. Mirth underlined by the unconfirmed but widespread understanding that Loy received a substantial bonus in his contract that more than accounted for the reasonable sum raised by your fanbase. I believe that ten thousand pounds was the figure. Hence explaining why he signed for a gubbins outfit at the bottom of the league in the first place.

You can dress up your slithering job in multiple ways, but as a cost-neutral, squad-improving miracle job? Complete and utter bollocks.

Truly laughable, indeed.

I'm still pishing myself! :lol:

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Please explain where a lot of money was spent? As far as I'm aware, no one cost us cash to bin. Ending of loan deals, letting guys like Gallacher and Gallagher move on to Hibs and Dumbarton respectively loaning Hutton to Airdrie. 

In Calum Gallaghers case I know we were concerned the deal wouldn't happen because we didn't think St Mirren were going to pay off his contract. We can't afford transfer fees so you are effectively terminating his contract so that he can join us as is the case in many deals. That requires a settlement to the player so any guys you didn't get a fee for will likely have cost you money.

14 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Please explain where a lot of money was spent? As far as I'm aware, no one cost us cash to bin. Ending of loan deals, letting guys like Gallacher and Gallagher move on to Hibs and Dumbarton respectively loaning Hutton to Airdrie. 

No one was mutually terminated in January so no one actually cost us money to lose off our wage bill. In fact we had so little wiggle room in terms of budget to work with during the January window,  it was decided that the spare SMiSA £8k in the kitty would go towards helping the playing budget and maybe being able to get an extra player in. 

One player was going out to free a wage up in the budget, that player was promptly replaced. To say we threw cash at the problem definitely doesn't do justice to how little wiggle room Jack Ross had to work with and how well he dealt. Josh Todd, Pal Fjelde and Stelios certainly weren't regarded as 'money' signings. It was generally accepted at the time that freeing up Shankland's wage and the 8k SMiSA money were the funding for Loy. Similar with Hardie and Cammy Smith. 

It was a well balanced operation until the last days of the window when we got that funding to get in two final signings. 

Without getting much deeper into it there is seriously no chance your player dealings were anywhere near cost neutral prior to the late sales of Naismith and McAllister. You outbid three other Championship clubs for Loy. There isnt a chance in hell that Airdrie were anywhere near covering Hutton's full wage and Gallagher didnt take a big pay cut to join Dumbarton without some sort if pay up. I very much doubt Gallacher left without one either.

Again, none of that is a criticism. Ross may have known they were going to go and still had to go find the players and do the deals. I'm not suggesting he got lucky, it was excellent management. We still need to acknowledge though he was able to spend significantly to gut the squad in January in a way none of your three main rivals in the bottom four could.

Suppose when you think about it JR deserves manager of the year for punting Shankland and convincing Loy to sign for us who were propping up the table instead of a team challenging in the playoffs at that point [emoji16].

I think the poor run at the end has soured it a bit for the Ton but to have sewn up the playoffs with plenty of games to spare and reach a national semi final with that squad shows how well Duffy done.

If he managed to get Loy that could have swung it in their favour.

12 hours ago, virginton said:

^^^ word salad.

Archived