Ladbrokes Championship Manager of the Season

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Should surely have been Jack Ross or am I missing something?

It does say season and he was only decent from the middle of January onwards.

I make it 11 games after Morton beat us 1-0.

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It does say season and he was only decent from the middle of January onwards.

I make it 11 games after Morton beat us 1-0.

Ross did more in 6 months for St Mirren than any other manager did over the course of the season tbf, with the exceptions of Gary Locke's services to the mighty pars.

should've been Aitken tbh

I would have had Duffy as a stick on till Mortons collapse. Aitken would have been my choice. 

Aitken was one poor result from getting the sack in December. Excellent recovery since but based on the same reasoning for Ross not getting it, Aitken's the same.

39 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Aitken was one poor result from getting the sack in December. Excellent recovery since but based on the same reasoning for Ross not getting it, Aitken's the same.

Different situations, Dumbarton are a part time team and were always going to struggle at times. 

It's a difficult one actually. Lot of people who could be spoken about but good reasons not to vote for any of them.

Neil Lennon won the League but he really SHOULD have been winning the league comfortably and whilst they did so there was a bit of underwhelming stumble towards it really. There seems to be a consensus amongst Hibs fans that they were better the year before.

Peter Houston got second but again, Falkirk probably played better the year before and they've ended up bowing out of the playoffs a round earlier.

Ray McKinnon ended up 3rd and might yet get United promoted but they had a poor start to the season and a horrible run from January onwards that could have cost them a playoff place if there was any credible opposition below 4th. They did win the Challenge Cup though.

Jim Duffy over the piece did well with Morton and an overall 4th place, first round playoff elimination and a League Cup Semi Final represents a return few could have predicted at the start of the season. On the face of it his award is probably deserved. However they did collapse from a position of genuinely favourites for 2nd with a few weeks to go to stumbling into the playoffs and getting hammered once they got there.

Allan Johnston eventually got Dunfermline to 5th but their first half season was distinctly underwhelming and they didn't achieve anything special relative to their budgets.

Queens went through three managers in the season. Gavin Skelton got some tremendous results in the first quarter before quitting but you can't give manager of the season to someone who left in November! Jim Thomson never won a game and Gary Naysmith steadied the ship but ultimately dropped a league place and, like Fowler's team the year before, got themselves into a crucial week when three wins would have moved them into the playoff spot and then didn't win any of them.

Jack Ross is widely perceived to have worked a miracle with St Mirren, and should be given every credit for the second half season come back. However he didn't join until October (?) and didn't win for a couple of months after that until we somehow presented them with one at Palmerston.

Stevie Aitken did well to keep Dumbarton up but general opinion was he was heading for the exit after they lost to Bonnyrigg in the Cup in December.

Ian McCall was relegated and the less said about anybody at Raith probably the better!

For me it's between Duffy and Ross but I'd give it to Duffy probably.

Archived