New formation

SlayerX

Shame Pep's not still around.

Wait, wot???
When did this happen???
Did he just stop posting or was there a monumental "headsgone" and resignation or has he been banned!!!
Can't believe I missed this!!!

Just now, King Kebab said:

Wait, wot???
When did this happen???
Did he just stop posting or was there a monumental "headsgone" and resignation or has he been banned!!!

Don't think there was anything like that, although usually when these things happen, it's a meltdown in the General Nonsense forum.  Maybe he's on a warm weather training camp.

I loathe Scotland's 4 5 ... 1 formation. Or the alternative 5 4 ... 1.  I've only seen this formation work at the top level when a side has a top quality striker and at least one good attacking midfielder. Classically, Chelsea with Drogba and Lampard.

For Scotland, the lone striker gets isolated, we've no out ball and we end up camped 30 yards from our own goal. Even when we gain possession it's 70 yards from the opposition goal. The only time we look like scoring  is from a set piece or in the last 10 minutes when we start throwing players forward. It's grindingly boring to watch and consistently ineffective.

The Albania match was refreshing to see 2 strikers on the pitch at the same time - we actually looked threatening and created chances. With a series of games against teams around our own level coming up, that should be the way forward.

Don't think there was anything like that, although usually when these things happen, it's a meltdown in the General Nonsense forum.  Maybe he's on a warm weather training camp.

It would probably be quite the blow to Peps ego, but to be truthful as a daily user of the Tartan Army Ramblings Forum, I hadn't even noticed he was missing!!!

Not really, I said to play 3-5-2. A 3-5-2 wouldn't have morphed into a 5-4-1, maybe a 5-3-2, but not a 5-4-1. I suppose the 3-5-2 could've morphed into a 5-4-1 if one 1 of the 2 worked himself back to help the 4. Besides, you literally saw the panic in Smalling and Cahill's eyes when Martin came on (THAT'S how bad Smalling and Cahill are). If we played with two strikers, from the start, would've worked
Also, England played with 4-2-3-1... and they didn't really rip us to shreds.
And to reiterate, "Our center backs simply aren't good enough to play in a flat back four, at least not at international level against top players, so it's time to bring back three center back and two wing-backs. If nothing else, the extra center back will naturally fill in a gap."
We were within one and half minutes of the strategy working.
So, what do you suggest? Going back to the tried and failed 4-2-3-1. Because it really worked when we drew with Lithuania at home, and... well... if I'm going to play this game then this reply would look like a novella. Let's just say, we tried the 4-2-3-1, it failed, move on to something different.

We were unbeaten in 2017 playing 4-2-3-1 draw with England at home and beating Slovenia and Slovakia and an away win in Lithuania and draw in Slovenia.

We were unbeaten in 2017 playing 4-2-3-1 draw with England at home and beating Slovenia and Slovakia and an away win in Lithuania and draw in Slovenia.
It was a three against England (Berra, Mulgrew, Tierney) and one of the CBs for all those games in a two (Berra) is obviously injured.
That's not to say McKenna/Souttar/Tierney can't play in a two, but the three seems to suit them a lot more, especially the latter two.

18 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Wait, wot???
When did this happen???

He lost his password and could only find the one for his SlayerX alias

• 2 years later...

Almost four years old and this post aged INCREDIBLY well.

Four years on and Scotland are now playing with a back three, as Steve Clarke came to the exact same realizarion as I did. And Scotland qualified for Euro 2020 as a result.

You're welcome. :)

Edited by SlayerX

On 25/05/2017 at 12:40, SlayerX said:

I would go with:

-------------Gordon

------Berra---Martin---Kingsley

Tierney------------------Robertson

---Armstrong---Brown---Cairney

------Griffith---Martin/S.Fletcher

Are Kingley, Armstrong and Cairney too inexperienced at this level? Maybe, but all three should've been in the squad a year or so ago. 

Or:

-------------Gordon

------Berra---Martin---Kingsley

Tierney------------------Robertson

---------Brown---D.Fletcher

------Armstrong---Cairney

-----------Griffith

We would get relegated from Europe with these teams. Some of those players are retired FFS.