Edinburgh Fringe 2017

Might seem a bit premature but there's quite a few names announced that tend to sell quickly and 2 for 1 tickets for the Monday/Tuesday 7th/8th available to buy online now. 

Going to get in earlier than usual this year to avoid missing certain comedians and try to see as many as possible at 2 for 1.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't imagine having to live and work in Edinburgh during the festival. As I don't, I usually take a few days off work to visit during the time and love the festival.

As someone who's job is by the train station and the majority of my jobs are in the centre of Edinburgh, it can be a nightmare. Everything just takes that little bit longer to do and get to.

I don't mind the festival itself, but as someone who hates people, the increase is never welcome.

As someone who's job is by the train station and the majority of my jobs are in the centre of Edinburgh, it can be a nightmare. Everything just takes that little bit longer to do and get to.

I don't mind the festival itself, but as someone who hates people, the increase is never welcome.

I think I would feel very similarly.
I could only imagine it's a nightmare trying to get anywhere anything quicker than a snails pace. Fine if you're just out for the day, not fine if you're trying to get to work.

15 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

I couldn't imagine having to live and work in Edinburgh during the festival. As I don't, I usually take a few days off work to visit during the time and love the festival.

I live here and work in the centre of it. I can't stand it - even walking around the corner to go to the shop is a constant gauntlet of people trying to give you flyers/tell you about a show/extort money out of you (because the chuggers come out in force as well). You can't just tell them no either, I've had people walk up the road with me who won't go away (because they think they are being funny I suppose) trying to tell me about some act or something. I end up having to swear at them.

I also hate people and crowds, so that doesn't help!

I think I would feel very similarly.
I could only imagine it's a nightmare trying to get anywhere anything quicker than a snails pace. Fine if you're just out for the day, not fine if you're trying to get to work.

Last year I had jobs I was using the trains and trams to get to, just abandoned that for August, quicker walking. Can't get public transport, no chance of a taxi and little point driving. I was unlucky that I had one job up near the meadows/Edinburgh uni and it was crazy. Think I stayed at the girlfriends most of last August cause she lives closer to work. Also means all the usual haunts are rammed on a Friday night after work, so you've got to go to the smaller less known places if you want a quiet meal out or a drink.

Doesn't help my birthday is near the end of the festival, probably go away for it this year.

I'm another miserable hoor when it comes to the festival. My usual haunts are away from the city centre anyway, in the hotel bars and gastro pubs of the less grotty bits of EH11 & EH14, where the tentacles of the festival can't reach.

48 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

It's fucking horrendous. Seems to take twice as long to get anywhere through the city centre and whilst it can certainly be quite colourful and fun around the time of the festival after a day at work I just want to get home not be sitting forever on a bus behind one of those damn rickshaws doing 3.5 mph.

My first one working in Edinburgh. Have never been before. Taking a few days off and will try to get out and see as much as I can. 

I get why people moan but anything that brings that level of economic benefit can't possibly be a bad thing overall.

I go to the festival twice every year one with the family (wife and 2 kids) on a Sunday afternoon and have a night out with the wife. We've already got a voucher for chaophraya so will most Likely use that as well. Any recommendations for a comedian is welcome. Cheers.

Archived