Edinburgh Fringe 2017

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gutted that I'm working during the preview shows this week because they're all tenner at the most. Also I'd recommend a friends of the fringe ticket for those that plan to see a good few shows. £30 for loads of 2for1s.

I saw they're doing a Toxic Avenger Musical. You just try and stop meh going to that action.

Making like a clubless Welsh Bairn right now and flying solo for a couple of hours until girlfriend (Mrs Kev for Romeo) finishes work. 

Roasting now the clouds have gone. Got high hopes for Andy Daly tonight. 

Making like a clubless Welsh Bairn right now and flying solo for a couple of hours until girlfriend (Mrs Kev for Romeo) finishes work. 
Roasting now the clouds have gone. Got high hopes for Andy Daly tonight. 

I went to a couple of shows myself last year. Obviously I'd prefer going with other folk but I wasn't missing out on seeing the likes of Katherine Ryan. Well worth the initial awkwardness.

On 02/08/2017 at 09:05, Boostin' Kev said:

There'll be plenty of free comedy in the old town. White Horse on the Mile is a decent place that has shows in the back room and always has timetables for the all the fringe freebies.

There's always plenty free* shows. I'll be down on Saturday for a piss up while watching some comedy at the same time, cannae beat it. Some of the free shit is by big names too. Phil Jupitus (no my cup o tea) is doing free stuff in Bannermans this year.

* you obviously pay by money in the buckets, which Hearts and Dundee fans will be well used to.

Was there yesterday.

Tom Crosbie You Can't Polish a Nerd, a clever and mildly amusing "nerd" who does fun things with numbers and 100 Rubik cubes (Free Fringe)

Chris Cook Control, comedy magician. He used a really obvious stooge in one of his tricks and his sleight of hand is a bit clunky (Free Fringe)

Shaggers , a comedy variety show hosted "in a sauna in Josef Fritzl's basement". As with all variety lineups it was a bit hit and miss (Free Fringe)

Trainspotting, was outstanding, set in a tunnel-like cellar beneath the EICC. Some advice...don't take a drink in (Renton or Begbie might nick it from you), get in early to get one of the seats just in front of the wall otherwise your back will be killing you, go for a pish before you enter because, due to the actors running about, if you leave during the show you won't be readmitted and don't sit near "the worst toilet in Scotland!" (£17.50)

On Fire (Gus Lymburn and Keir McAllister, Beehive, Grassmarket). Funniest show of the day, partially helped by some hilarious audience participation encouraged by Gus in particular. (Free Fringe)

Bit disappointed by Joseph Morpurgo last night his show 2 years ago was one of the best I've seen. On a plus side managed to jake a few cans of Stella into Potter row for Adam Riches, was getting fed up paying £5.50 a pint. 

This post is full of seethe. I'm through every year so I know what to expect but today's slow walkers are in a different league. Walking 5 abreast to ensure they cover the entire pavement, and then stopping dead without warning. I've left earlier than planned as I just can't take it anymore. And of course, hunners of c***s on the train. 

2 for 1 deals on Monday past. 

Pleasance - The Damned United - really enjoyed this performance.  don't normally do non-comedy shows on our annual trip to the fringe but glad we did.
Pleasance - Sarah Pascoe - not a huge fan of comediennes but as Mrs Dee_62 and I were with another couple we had to mix it up a bit.  In fairness she was actually pretty good although the incest stuff was slightly strange.
Assembly Rooms - Jason Byrne - always try to get tickets to see him and he didn't disappoint this year either.  Another tremendous 1 hour show.  Must've spent the first 20 mins telling this long-winded story about his vasectomy.  Brilliant.

I say old things, 6 shows down - no more to go. That's me had my fill of the place for another year. Normally I go Third Sunday after the schools have gone back (or are nearly back) but this year I went 2nd Sunday and dear dear me. Idiotic tourists walking 5 abreast down the pavement at 0.00001 mph and people standing around looking at maps, work out where you are going before you set off.

I'm not a Salt and Sauce person and try and avoid the East and its pitiful offerings as much as possible but even someone as addled as me can find my way to the toilets at Gloucester Bus Station as and when required.

Anyway,

Rhinoceros - Royal Lyceum

Its the Edinburgh International Festival rather than the fringe to start and here we have the Lyceum in collaboration with the DOT Theatre of Istanbul.

It’s a pleasant Sunday morning in the town square when a Rhinoceros runs past and then a few minutes later another one goes past. Where have they come from and why are they here? Are they European rhinos or are they Middle Eastern rhinos? With the world being over run by animals, Berenger discovers that its people that are changing into the Rhinos and as friends, colleagues and more and more of the population conform with the new norm Berenger finds himself trying to hold onto his present whilst deciding what his future holds.

A director and writer in love with their concept and deciding to highlight how Berengers world is continually becoming smaller by effectively having the stage layered so that from the first act being set across the whole stage he ends up alone in the new world atop a small table.

But they forgot that they have to move the story on - whilst its nice to see characters jumping into the under stage area and have a giant and very life like cat head but they have not put any fizz into the onscreen action. Whilst we see some of the characters change into the Rhinos via some nice simple stage work its hard to care for anyone other than our lead and he's not actually likeable.

Its moderately amusing from time to time rather than outright funny and the message of racism, community, conforming with society and belief is lost amongst three bird poo jokes and some poor performances. 6/10

De Lorean - Assembly Rooms Ballroom

The story of the car from Back to the Future, a lot of potty mouthing in this one as John has a dream that quickly turns into a nightmare. Entertaining but never getting to the nitty gritty of the story.

All Quiet on the Western Front Pleasance King Dome

An adaptation of the book, in which they have changed the ending so he doesn't die - everyone else still does though. Oh dear god its full of expressionist dance and the movement and gurning becomes tiresome in the extreme. 

Also started late and ran a good 10 minutes longer than advertised - tsk tsk. Also the King Dome is a ruddy sweatbox, stifling heat.

Nick Revell - Stand 4

Me and Nick go back a long way, back to when we's wants a training day (obscure cultural reference for the kids there) and this was sad to see. There were 14 of us watching the show and he knew 2 of the others. In the year of Brexit and Trump, Nick has decided to do something different and here we get the moderately amusing but not belly laughs of how his cat tried to take over the world with the aid of his fridge.

Michael Brandon - Assembly Rooms Drawing Room

Another potty mouthed person but here he gives an overview of his career and very entertaining it is too, he's gone way up in my estimation - not only has he been Makepeacing Glynnis Barber for 30 years but he was also married to the Bionic Woman as well. Jammy b*****d.

Richard Herring - Pleasance One

Frig I'm 50 says Richard as he comes to terms with his middle age. Everyone else seemed to find it a lot more amusing than me.

Archived