Edinburgh Fringe 2017

On 2017-5-24 at 12:42, The Diabolical One said:

Can't beat mentioning the Festival to bring the miserable c***s out the woodwork.  I look forward to it every year.

Folk need to lighten up ffs. It's a good time to be in the Capital. If you can't stop the leaflet pushers without saying a word, just a look, you're doing it wrong.

And anyway who doesn't like a mimed Jane Austin play on rollerskates?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/05/2017 at 00:03, bobby carlos said:

I go to the festival twice every year one with the family (wife and 2 kids) on a Sunday afternoon and have a night out with the wife. We've already got a voucher for chaophraya so will most Likely use that as well. Any recommendations for a comedian is welcome. Cheers.

Sorry, just seen this now.  Names I'm looking at so far are;

Jerry Sadowitz, John Kearns, Joseph Morpurgo, Sam Simmons (both of those were 2 of the best shows I saw in 2015), Simon Munnery, Spencer Jones and Tim Key.

Will check reviews first before getting tickets (Chortle is pretty good) apart from the 2 for 1's which I'll just get tickets for. There'll be more names before August that I'll want to see.  Morpurgo and Simmons are definites and will probably see Sadowitz again even though I don't care about the magic tricks.

On 24/05/2017 at 10:31, Jambomo said:

I live here and work in the centre of it. I can't stand it - even walking around the corner to go to the shop is a constant gauntlet of people trying to give you flyers/tell you about a show/extort money out of you (because the chuggers come out in force as well). You can't just tell them no either, I've had people walk up the road with me who won't go away (because they think they are being funny I suppose) trying to tell me about some act or something. I end up having to swear at them.

I also hate people and crowds, so that doesn't help!

I have worked in and around the city centre for the last 3 fringes and can't say it bothers me, I'm the opposite though and love the crowds and all the goings on, its a great time of year and there is something for everyone if you show a bit of interest. Some truly awful shows as well though.

Travelling by Lothian bus is a nightmare and the tourists don't always understand that you pay £1.60 and that takes you anywhere on that route and it is very frustrating hearing the bus driver explain that to everyone who comes on the bus!

• 1 month later...

I work and live just out of the city centre so I can avoid the festival most of the time. The best part is the longer licenses to 3am for pubs and 5 for clubs (not that I got to many clubs these days)

I do have a week off in august and I have decided to try a few shows, I have Frankie Boyle tickets already and probably going to get Jerry Sadowitz. I want to try some of the smaller and cheaper shows throughout the week but it's hard to decide tbh and I can imagine most if them are hit or miss. And I hate folk that stand about being indecisive with programmes in the streets etc so Im not doing that

I reckon by day 2 of my week off I will be sick of it and either sitting in my flat playing a computer game or trying to find out who out my mates are also off to go for pints somewhere with (probably in Dunfermline to avoid festival c@nts).

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:19, throbber said:

Travelling by Lothian bus is a nightmare and the tourists don't always understand that you pay £1.60 and that takes you anywhere on that route and it is very frustrating hearing the bus driver explain that to everyone who comes on the bus!

FFS I forgot about this.

On 5/26/2017 at 16:19, throbber said:

I have worked in and around the city centre for the last 3 fringes and can't say it bothers me, I'm the opposite though and love the crowds and all the goings on, its a great time of year and there is something for everyone if you show a bit of interest. Some truly awful shows as well though.

They don't make it easy on Edinburgh buses. I've got one once or twice (tried using App but you have to spend a minimum of a tenner). If you dare to ask how much it is you're lucky if you get a grunt from the driver. It's like you're meant to instinctively know what the procedures are when as a bus novice you just want a guiding hand. I don't think I've ever manged to get on one without uttering a rude word at some point. 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

They don't make it easy on Edinburgh buses. I've got one once or twice (tried using App but you have to spend a minimum of a tenner). If you dare to ask how much it is you're lucky if you get a grunt from the driver. It's like you're meant to instinctively know what the procedures are when as a bus novice you just want a guiding hand. I don't think I've ever manged to get on one without uttering a rude word at some point. 

I like the you should know what your doing and the sit down and shut the f**k up attitude tbh. It makes the world a better place in my eyes

No more miserable c***s moaning about the Fringe in this thread please.

Apologies if I came across as moaning. I generally love the fringe. Some the acts are shite but there's hundreds of good ones as well. The game Shandon referenced will be one of shite attractions during the period. Hopefully I'll manage to get a show in before or after it.

1 minute ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

I like the you should know what your doing and the sit down and shut the f**k up attitude tbh. It makes the world a better place in my eyes

I get a wee thrill seeing some old codger or tourist raking about in their bag for coins or a map as they stand in front of the driver, as dozens of eyes will them to just f**k off and die. 

I will monitor this thread to see if I can be tempted out of my apathy but I never usually bother going to any shows. I do quite like going out in town for a drink when the festival is on though. Sat next to Tim Rice in a restaurant last year and heard him moaning about some £80 plumbing job to his companion. He must have enough cash to buy his own moon. 

Oh hi Mark.

Booked my annual outing yesterday - 6 shows, 1 day.

Have to say its the first time in years I've not found anything jumping off the screen at me in the way that last year was based around my one and only chance of ever seeing Radio Active live. This year it does all seem a bit meh!

Like to mix things up so this year its a couple of plays, two stand ups (including finally seeing Nick Revell about 25 years after first hearing him on Radio 4), one speech based event and some cabaret to round off the day.

...and after last years shite, no musicals.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived