Success or Failure, position vs player wages

Thought I'd put this wee thing together, commented on a post the other day where a guy gave his own opinion of success or failure for each team this season. Seen a similar thing done with the EPL so why not for us eh lol! 

St Johnstone and Partick fair play to them for their efforts, especially St Johnstone who are consistently top-6. I didn't realise Inverness ranked 6th for wages, definitely felt man for man they were 'too good' to go down but said the same with Dundee United and Hibs in the past. 

Got the wages stuff from when they were released last year, this is the Herald link 

Table and wages.PNG

9 minutes ago, elmejorjay said:

Thought I'd put this wee thing together, commented on a post the other day where a guy gave his own opinion of success or failure for each team this season. Seen a similar thing done with the EPL so why not for us eh lol! 

St Johnstone and Partick fair play to them for their efforts, especially St Johnstone who are consistently top-6. I didn't realise Inverness ranked 6th for wages, definitely felt man for man they were 'too good' to go down but said the same with Dundee United and Hibs in the past. 

Got the wages stuff from when they were released last year, this is the Herald link 

Table and wages.PNG

Ah right, so it wasn't from here then...
Dougie Wright @dougie_analysis
 Follow
More
10:33 PM - 21 May 2017

How did each Scottish Premiership club finish compared to their budget? League's biggest over/under achievers here:

DAYYNRrXkAAV_QR.jpg

Apart the wage bill figures being pure guesswork, the actual metric of "average wage per first team player" is also nonsense.

First of all, everyone will have a different definition of what a "first team player" is - do youth players become first teamers as soon as they make their debut?  Or after 10 games?  Or not until they reach a certain age?  More importantly, the metric punishes teams who decide to operate with a smaller squad - if Team A and Team B both have a wage budget of £4m per year, and Team A signs 20 really good players while Team B signs 40 mediocre ones, then this would show up Team B as having "lower wages" despite paying out the exact amount.

End of the day, you know fine well if your clubs punching or not. You don't need graphs of wages x position, or points x wages as I saw last week. You win games you're happy, you lose you're not, and a graph doesn't make that any different. 

1 hour ago, shootingboots said:

End of the day, you know fine well if your clubs punching or not. You don't need graphs of wages x position, or points x wages as I saw last week. You win games you're happy, you lose you're not, and a graph doesn't make that any different. 

Agreed, I think this is over analysis of the situation and probably based on suspect data and statistics. Essentially is your team are doing well then the players are worth every penny but if they're doing badly then the players are not worth their wages.

I've looked into this before and used the figure each club spends on wages. St Johnstone don't release their wages figure anywhere so difficult to tell with them. However, estimating based on a wages to turnover %, I have them spending about £2.8m minimum per year, It could easily be a bit higher. Ross County spend £3m. It's possible that Saints had the 5th highest budget in the league last season.

Eta: These figures are wages for the entire club but materially it's the football personnel so a decent indicator of what's spent

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Apart the wage bill figures being pure guesswork, the actual metric of "average wage per first team player" is also nonsense.

First of all, everyone will have a different definition of what a "first team player" is - do youth players become first teamers as soon as they make their debut?  Or after 10 games?  Or not until they reach a certain age?  More importantly, the metric punishes teams who decide to operate with a smaller squad - if Team A and Team B both have a wage budget of £4m per year, and Team A signs 20 really good players while Team B signs 40 mediocre ones, then this would show up Team B as having "lower wages" despite paying out the exact amount.

^^^
Exactly the reasons why it's not worth paying any attention to the Sporting Intelligence figures when they get released.

Fair play to the OP for trying to Lad Bible some other persons work by the way (Unless the OP is the same Twitter user).

Saints budget for 10th whether that puts us ahead of others in the league is an unknown, because we've no idea what budgeting for 10th actually is? Plus it's pretty well known we pay low wages, but higher bonuses to incentive players, so that skews the figures. Still who doesn't like close season guessing

Its a rough estimate, based on clubs' overall expenditure on wages and knowledge of some individual player wages and a lot of guesswork to come up with an approximate figure. Can anyone really argue with any certainty that the placings used aren't wildly wrong?

It doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know, other than to make it even clearer that Dundee (and maybe the only surprise in the list) ICT have been rotten, Thistle had a good season, while the job Tommy Wright is doing consistently at St Johnstone is incredible.

Archived