Evening Times Cup Final 2017

codofthenorth

Just wondered if there's any indication as to when the E.T Cup Final is likely to be played. If I remember rightly it's one of the last games of the Junior Season in early June.With the Junior Cup Final being on the 4th June,would I be right in assuming it may be the following Saturday when the English are up North at Hampden. I take it Pollok will be the host Club once again.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Date - depends on when the Div1 champions are decided as they will need to play Glenafton in a semifinal, which also can't be till after the SJFA Cup final on Sunday 4th.

2. Venue - preferably NOT Newlandsfield this year, as we desperately need to get summer work on the pitch & ground started without the usual delay because of being expected to host this match. Plus there's the burden put on the hosting club's committee (all unpaid volunteers) to man gates, provide hospitality etc at a time when many will be off on holiday. Give somebody else a turn!

It's an utterly pointless competition anyway. Scrap it and get the ET to sponsor something else, like the Junior Cup maybe?

I call it the ego cup. Only there to appease the games machines guy lol

Only my opinion [emoji41]

The Evening Times Cup is one that definitely needs looked at seriously. This cup involves 5 teams at present, yet it inconveniences all 64 clubs in the region, due to the need to find out the league winners so that we can squeeze this competition in at the end of the season. Some clubs therefore find they are forced to play midweek games even though there are sufficient Saturdays left to play their remaining league fixtures.

From my 'manifesto'

The Evening Times Cup is one that definitely needs looked at seriously. This cup involves 5 teams at present, yet it inconveniences all 64 clubs in the region, due to the need to find out the league winners so that we can squeeze this competition in at the end of the season. Some clubs therefore find they are forced to play midweek games even though there are sufficient Saturdays left to play their remaining league fixtures.
From my 'manifesto'

Scrap the league cups they have become a pain since it became the west super league I enjoyed it in the old ayrshire league years now I find it an inconvenience then you could play the evening times cup as curtain raiser for new season

1 hour ago, Talbot Bing said:

Only my opinion emoji41.png

What on earth does the ET Cup have to do with "the games machine guy"?

15 minutes ago, thelangonline said:

You would have though there would be a date for the Glasgow Perthshire v Cambuslang Rangers Semi. No reason for it not to be released.
And I'm told final will be at Newlandsfield

Agree with your first point.

But we get this sort of "I'm told" assertion far too often rather than official announcements. And regarding the venue for the ET final, maybe someone should ASK Pollok to host it before telling anyone it will be at our park!

Only my opinion [emoji41]

When did the Evening Times start doing games machines? If your trying to be arsey about it at least get your facts right!

Remember how much worse it was before they simplified it? :lol:

Add up all the low-rent cup competitions and you find that the top teams routinely play more cup games in a season than league games, which is frankly mental.

Yes, it and other tournaments attract badly needed sponsorship but it seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul when you see how much of a debacle the fixturing mess turns the league season into, the reputational damage that results in, and the damaging effect that surely must have on the cash it can generate. 

Oh aye, and look at the absolute state of the once genuinely prestigious West of Scotland cup - now reduced to an end of season fixture headache dragged down and lost amid the clutter of meaningless baubles. But at least everyone gets to win something and the wee teams get the chance of a payday. That's great, except it's adult competitive football with potentially lucrative prizes like Senior Scottish Cup entry at stake, not a weans sports day.

Less tournaments, arranged better if you please. 

13 minutes ago, Talbot Bing said:

Who is the main sponsor?

Are you for real?

Who is the main sponsor?

Are you for real?

Who is the main sponsor?

Are you for real?

Oft aye right enough, take it back lol[emoji23]. Senior moment.

Just on that though why does the old chap who has pollok influence and games machines siding always have his neebs in about the ET cup presentation?

The gentleman you refer to is a Pollok committee member and past president so, as Pollok have been lumbered with hosting the final of the ET Cup since f**k knows when, he's probably been helping out with match organisation.

Can't see why you'd imagine he'd be involved in the presentation, except e.g. 2 years ago when Lok won it!!

Archived