Forfar Athletic 2017-18

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I generally know everything about everything, I must confess I don't know that much about Jim Weir the man and manager.

BUT, having read opinions on here, and reading what Mr Google has to say I'm rather underwhelmed and rather surprised that the board couldn't muster up a more forward thinking and exciting appointment. For me, it's short sighted and lazy. What exactly was the attraction? What are his successes? 

The chairman stated that they would do their homework and due diligence up to the international weekend. He stated that a Scottish Internationalist had applied. It was reported that Iain Murray had applied. It was reported they were inundated with applications. Yet, all they've came up with is Jim Weir! 

I hope it works, but my initial thoughts are that it's a poor appointment. Time will tell I suppose but I hope the rumours of bullying etc don't come back to haunt the club. I also hope the board have stuck to their promise that youth will be the way forward and that Weir isn't just another one who is scared to death of giving young lads the nod. 

Here's hoping. 

Spoiler

Didn't see that coming, Everyone needs to get behind him. If it ends in relegation then it's back to square one. His remit at a minimum should be to keep us up if not he walks away. 

So having slept on this news I sit here on my balcony sipping coffee and enjoying the Spanish morning sun I am feeling like I may have overreacted last night suggesting I may not come back to Station Park while JW is manager. We need to give him a fair chance though like Bollan before him (who was an equally uninspiring appointment) I doubt the fans will give him long. These stories of him being a bully may or may not be true but if factual aren't necessarily a bad thing. One of the biggest bullies in football is revered at our club, I'm talking about the boy from Tealing.

As the temperature rises here I'm away to check the Tarragona website to see how much a season ticket is there then look for a job locally.  Anyone want to buy a nice three bedroom Georgian townhouse in Forfar? Maybe Jim Weir......?

So having slept on this news I sit here on my balcony sipping coffee and enjoying the Spanish morning sun I am feeling like I may have overreacted last night suggesting I may not come back to Station Park while JW is manager. We need to give him a fair chance though like Bollan before him (who was an equally uninspiring appointment) I doubt the fans will give him long. These stories of him being a bully may or may not be true but if factual aren't necessarily a bad thing. One of the biggest bullies in football is revered at our club, I'm talking about the boy from Tealing.
As the temperature rises here I'm away to check the Tarragona website to see how much a season ticket is there then look for a job locally.  Anyone want to buy a nice three bedroom Georgian townhouse in Forfar? Maybe Jim Weir......?

Aye Archie had a somewhat "robust" manner.[emoji6] [emoji6]

Georgian town house up easterbank ? #slums

Guest bernardblack

Writing the bloke off before he's even had a game....standard negativity as usual.

I'll back him 100%

Really don't understand the clamour for a rookie manager on here. Weir will know how to work to a budget and has done well recently

1 hour ago, loon74 said:

Georgian town house up easterbank ? #slums

I don't now and I've never lived up at Easterbank, nothing that old up there you muppet.

#aloonwithclass #tenfootceilingsornatecornicinghugefireplacesyoucanonlydreamof

Jim Weirs ok gave us some decent cup runs and made play off s .Signed some good players at our level too. .He had one bad run with us and got sacked they re was other stuff behind the scenes that I m not sure about but you ll have had worse managers than him. ..

I don't now and I've never lived up at Easterbank, nothing that old up there you muppet.
#aloonwithclass #tenfootceilingsornatecornicinghugefireplacesyoucanonlydreamof

Dreams ? 800 local authority jobs to go #timetodownsize

From my encounters of Weir and what I can remember about him managing the first team up at Montrose (I used to be around the training sessions each week), he was a pretty miserable b*****d but kind of in a good way. He knew what he was doing and had pretty high standards which led to him dishing out a few dressing downs (there was one incident before a big game where the team were messing about and playing football in the changing rooms and he went absolutely ballistic at them for putting themselves at risk of injury before the play-off final). He was very professional though and gave attention to detail in even taking an interest in specific goalkeeping coaching drills and supporting a few guys in furthering their coaching education.

I can't comment on whether he overreached and become a bully and haven't been following his career for years but my instinct is that he's a pretty good candidate in terms of somebody who will get you organised and make the pretty tough decisions that you maybe need to get competitive in the division. Other managers up at Montrose around that similar sort of time period looked like total amateurs compared to him.

1 hour ago, harry94 said:

From my encounters of Weir and what I can remember about him managing the first team up at Montrose (I used to be around the training sessions each week), he was a pretty miserable b*****d but kind of in a good way. He knew what he was doing and had pretty high standards which led to him dishing out a few dressing downs (there was one incident before a big game where the team were messing about and playing football in the changing rooms and he went absolutely ballistic at them for putting themselves at risk of injury before the play-off final). He was very professional though and gave attention to detail in even taking an interest in specific goalkeeping coaching drills and supporting a few guys in furthering their coaching education.

I can't comment on whether he overreached and become a bully and haven't been following his career for years but my instinct is that he's a pretty good candidate in terms of somebody who will get you organised and make the pretty tough decisions that you maybe need to get competitive in the division. Other managers up at Montrose around that similar sort of time period looked like total amateurs compared to him.

Thanks for Harry, most Forfar supporters, myself included, have judged him on his attitude in front of us including refusing to shake hands with our manager following defeat (still no excuse for that) but if he wants high standards throughout play, discipline and player behaviour etc and isn't afraid to enforce it then he's maybe exactly what we need, particularly at this time. We have a few big and strong characters in our current squad who maybe need galvanising. I'm starting to be more optimistic about this appointment.....

Archived