pyramid my horse!

Great stuff! Two top teams from Division 4 promoted to Division 3. Bottom two relegated from Division 3 to Division 4. No Division 4 teams relegated! Ah, just like the good old days! 

If we can have play-offs and pyramids, what newfangled names can we give to Leagues 1 and 2?

League 1: "Most Angus and Fife etc. Superleague" - (if Brechin don't go up).

League 2: "99p Store Bargain League"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brummo said:

Great stuff! Two top teams from Division 4 promoted to Division 3. Bottom two relegated from Division 3 to Division 4. No Division 4 teams relegated! Ah, just like the good old days! 

If we can have play-offs and pyramids, what newfangled names can we give to Leagues 1 and 2?

League 1: "Most Angus and Fife etc. Superleague" - (if Brechin don't go up).

League 2: "99p Store Bargain League"

Never noticed you complain about any of the above 2 years ago when the Mo were bottom^_^ Everyone knows the format at the start of the season.

Absolutely not bitter. Anyone who thinks so has clearly got the wrong end of the stick.

Not against the play-offs or the pyramid in principle, as they do make for a bit of excitement at the end of the season, giving more teams something to play for.

However, in terms of fairness, and because it is a league, rather than a cup, if two teams are to be promoted, it should probably be two up, two down.

Yes, Montrose did benefit from the play-offs in avoiding relegation but the last time we were in the promotion play-offs, we were second and didn't get promoted, while Arbroath, who were fourth, did because that was the season Gretna went bust. At the time, I think most Montrose supporters felt we just had to win it next time.

Play-offs certainly are better for teams facing potential demotion, than they are for teams finishing runners-up, that's for sure. If for example, the team that's demoted has more money to spend it's way out of the league and walks it, then the rest of the league are effectively playing for entry into an end-of-season cup competition. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but just saying. 

My comment on League names was just a bit of cynicism, about attempts to "glam up" football. In any case Brechin have spoiled the Angus "love in" by being too successful. Well done to them!

Absolutely not bitter. Anyone who thinks so has clearly got the wrong end of the stick.
Not against the play-offs or the pyramid in principle, as they do make for a bit of excitement at the end of the season, giving more teams something to play for.
However, in terms of fairness, and because it is a league, rather than a cup, if two teams are to be promoted, it should probably be two up, two down.
Yes, Montrose did benefit from the play-offs in avoiding relegation but the last time we were in the promotion play-offs, we were second and didn't get promoted, while Arbroath, who were fourth, did because that was the season Gretna went bust. At the time, I think most Montrose supporters felt we just had to win it next time.
Play-offs certainly are better for teams facing potential demotion, than they are for teams finishing runners-up, that's for sure. If for example, the team that's demoted has more money to spend it's way out of the league and walks it, then the rest of the league are effectively playing for entry into an end-of-season cup competition. Nothing necessarily wrong with that but just saying. 
My comment on League names was just a bit of cynicism, about attempts to "glam up" football. In any case Brechin have spoiled the Angus "love in" by being too successful. Well done to them!

Arbroath were promoted because we won the playoffs. Nothing to do with Gretna going bust.

Also Montrose were only 3rd that season and were beaten in the playoffs by Stranraer who were also promoted due to Gretna going bust. If you want to look at unfairness the year Rangers folded Airdrie got promoted when in 4th despite Arbroath being a clear 2nd in the league and Airdrie losing the play off final and not having beat Arbroath on the way.

1 hour ago, Hammerafc said:

Also Montrose were only 3rd that season and were beaten in the playoffs by Stranraer who were also promoted due to Gretna going bust. If you want to look at unfairness the year Rangers folded Airdrie got promoted when in 4th despite Arbroath being a clear 2nd in the league and Airdrie losing the play off final and not having beat Arbroath on the way.

Stand corrected that it was Stranraer who got promoted because Gretna went bust. Forgot the details other than the fact that we were the only league 3 side not to get promoted that season.

Someone else has written on another thread about this and they may have got their facts wrong too. Really not on here complaining about play-offs, or any kind of injustice for Montrose. I honestly can't understand the petty-mindedness of others who think that's what the original post is about. It isn't.

Think Montrose had a good season all things considered.

I do think that it's tough that second placed teams who miss out on promotion to lower placed teams in a penalty shootout.

While I am pleased for Brechin (jealous of too) - fair play to them, I can also understand why Wasps are feeling stung.

At the end of the day the playoffs were brought in for 2 reasons. Firstly it gave the club second-bottom of the divisions a chance to save themselves - particularly in SFL1 (as was) the clubs thought 2 down was too many. Secondly it gives more to play for atop the divisions below.

For the price of reducing the relegation from 2.0 to 1.75 it's been a pretty big success, tbh.

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

At the end of the day the playoffs were brought in for 2 reasons. Firstly it gave the club second-bottom of the divisions a chance to save themselves - particularly in SFL1 (as was) the clubs thought 2 down was too many. Secondly it gives more to play for atop the divisions below.

For the price of reducing the relegation from 2.0 to 1.75 it's been a pretty big success, tbh.

Judged by what measure?

I think play-offs are tolerable but not entirely credible in the small sized leagues we have in Scotland.

A league competition should be just that I.m.o.

Judged by what measure?
I think play-offs are tolerable but not entirely credible in the small sized leagues we have in Scotland.
A league competition should be just that I.m.o.

Based on the fact that almost every team in each of the three lower leagues had 'something to play for' going into the last three games of the season. Without the playoffs, 6/7 teams would be 'on the beach' by Easter

2 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Based on the fact that almost every team in each of the three lower leagues had 'something to play for' going into the last three games of the season. Without the playoffs, 6/7 teams would be 'on the beach' by Easter

Has this season not been exceptional w.r.t. this?

Although I agree, from a Montrose perspective, play-offs of one kind or another figured large this year and probably will next season too, hopefully at the right end of the table.

9 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Although I agree, from a Montrose perspective, play-offs of one kind or another figured large this year and probably will next season too, hopefully at the right end of the table.

You are lucky your manager turned it around. You were heading for the wrong end of the table.

Don't think you would have started this thread if you'd finished bottom.

11 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You are lucky your manager turned it around. You were heading for the wrong end of the table.

Don't think you would have started this thread if you'd finished bottom.

Alright, alright, calm down, calm down.

Explanation: I started this thread because...

At the end of the day, there was no relegation and the top two teams were promoted - just in fact the way it was before the trapdoor and the play-offs were introduced.

"My point caller" was that for all the innovation brought in, including changing the league names, and for all the eagerness of the Trapdoorwatch lurkers, nothing much had changed. 

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose, so to speak.

(And yes, there are many French people in Montrose.)

As an auld git, I don't mind in the slightest. 

I also am delighted the Blue Paraguay managed to stay up. Congratulations.

14 hours ago, Brummo said:

2 seasons ago, I think every team in the 3rd tier had something to play for with 3 or 4 games to go.  Last season Airdrie could have got relegated or got into the promotion playoffs with 3 games to go.  I think they were sitting 6th or 7th in the league at that point which would suggest all teams were still playing for something at that point.

Looking at this seasons L1 table there is only 11 points between 4th and bottom which would again suggest most, if not all, the teams were playing for something with 3 games to go.  Pretty much the norm for that league I would say.

5 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

2 seasons ago, I think every team in the 3rd tier had something to play for with 3 or 4 games to go.  Last season Airdrie could have got relegated or got into the promotion playoffs with 3 games to go.  I think they were sitting 6th or 7th in the league at that point which would suggest all teams were still playing for something at that point.

Looking at this seasons L1 table there is only 11 points between 4th and bottom which would again suggest most, if not all, the teams were playing for something with 3 games to go.  Pretty much the norm for that league I would say.

Yeah but no, not in this league... Can't remember a season with as much to play for, going down to the wire, as this one. With the exception of the Champion's League cash-fuelled Bhoys canter to the SPL title, think the Leagues have been remarkably intriguing this season.

2 hours ago, Brummo said:

Yeah but no, not in this league... Can't remember a season with as much to play for, going down to the wire, as this one. With the exception of the Champion's League cash-fuelled Bhoys canter to the SPL title, think the Leagues have been remarkably intriguing this season.

The top three divisions were all won at a canter.

Just now, Toby said:

The top three divisions were all won at a canter.

And the fourth one should have been.

Agree with OP regarding play-offs. It's just no right a team finishing fourth out of ten (mid-table) should be gaining promotion.

Arbroath were promoted because we won the playoffs. Nothing to do with Gretna going bust.

Correct - it was Stranraer who benefitted from Gretnagate. Coincidentally, it was also us who went up when Rangers went out of business.

Archived