Season 2016/17, success or fail?

9 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Worst season ever in the Scottish top flight in my 40 years of watching it, standard atrocious . The bigger city teams may be in all in place next season Inverness and hopefully Hamilton will not be missed

Stop crying cause your team is too pish to play with the big boys. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our season isn't over yet! My Summery so far:

Europe - fail: Could have gone better - didn't show enough guts in the first leg against Maribor. Got another chance to progress further next season. We should be aiming to get further on.

League Cup - fail: Got to the final which was great but didn't play well at ALL - one of our worst performances this season. 

League campaign - success: Fantastic to achieve our record points total and to be so far ahead of the rest. We deserved 2nd and should be expecting to finish there again next season. We've got a fantastic manager who can get the best out of these players. Shinnie, Mclean, Considine, Lewis, Hayes, Logan, Rooney & McGinn to name my stand out players - not so long ago our team was littered with pish - this is the most professional Aberdeen team of my lifetime.

Scottish Cup: TBC

STAND FREE!!!!

11 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Worst season ever in the Scottish top flight in my 40 years of watching it, standard atrocious . The bigger city teams may be in all in place next season Inverness and hopefully Hamilton will not be missed

You weren't watching the the top flight this season, m8.

39 minutes ago, gingerjag said:

Do they not have a televisions in Dundees ? 

I've never been to Dundees mate, so I wouldn't know. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Boyce being bloody brilliant has almost certainly stopped this season from being an utter disaster for us. I'm far from convinced that McIntyre is the man for the job. He has to get his recruitment right during the summer, or we will be joining the Inverness diddies in the land of Falkirk and Brechin.

I can't see Boyce staying at county much longer after the season he's had.

Celtic, success. Some decent CL showings and easing to the treble.
Aberdeen, relative success. 2 cup finals and 2nd in the league is exactly what I'd expect from the countries second force. 
The Rangers, failure. Paying over the odds for pretty shite footballers and 2 crap managers has cost the new upstarts.
St Johnstone, success. We're all going on a European tour. (It may only be 1 journey to Wales but I don't give a f**k)
Hearts, failure. Abysmal season.
Patrick Thistle, who?
Ross County, failure. Roys millions are dwindling away.
Kilmarnock, success. Just staying in the top league is a success for a side so meh.
Dundee, failure. Tayside wee team spend all their money on budgeting for 5th place :lol: utter minter.
Motherwell, failure. With some decent players in their squad they have been pish for a couple of seasons, I blame McGhee.
Hamilton, failure. Get Doon fucking nonentities. 
Inverness, failure. Bye Bye, I'm waving.

At the start of every season we only have 3 ambitions -

1) Stay in business - [emoji736]
2) Stay in the league - [emoji736]
3) Sack our manager - [emoji736]

So a total success for the Dark Blues.

Thank you

I can't see Boyce staying at county much longer after the season he's had.

Was it not rumoured he was going to Hearts? Could certainly see an English Championship club taking a punt on him this summer.

9 hours ago, R.Mutt said:

Europe - fail: Could have gone better - didn't show enough guts in the first leg against Maribor. Got another chance to progress further next season. We should be aiming to get further on.

League Cup - fail: Got to the final which was great but didn't play well at ALL - one of our worst performances this season. 

League campaign - success: Fantastic to achieve our record points total and to be so far ahead of the rest. We deserved 2nd and should be expecting to finish there again next season. We've got a fantastic manager who can get the best out of these players. Shinnie, Mclean, Considine, Lewis, Hayes, Logan, Rooney & McGinn to name my stand out players - not so long ago our team was littered with pish - this is the most professional Aberdeen team of my lifetime.

STAND FREE!!!!

Really!

Europa League wasn't a failure as Maribor has a much bigger budget than us which they was the seeded team and to be truthful they was lucky against us as we was the better side

Don't think the league cup was a failure either as we are playing a side that is sweeping every team aside granted the performance wasn't great but in truth we should be getting beat from a team that has a budget 6 times bigger than us.

What ever happens in the Scottish Cup this season has been amazing. 

We've proven over the course of the season to be comfortably better than everyone bar Celtic. More points than we've ever had since the introduction of the 3 points for a win. 

Season low light for me was definitely the league cup final. Such an abject performance. Hopefully make up for that on Saturday.

Really!
Europa League wasn't a failure as Maribor has a much bigger budget than us which they was the seeded team and to be truthful they was lucky against us as we was the better side
Don't think the league cup was a failure either as we are playing a side that is sweeping every team aside granted the performance wasn't great but in truth we should be getting beat from a team that has a budget 6 times bigger than us.

He does seem to be rather negative. I think Aberdeen have had a brilliant season. 2nd in the league comfortably, 2 cup finals and very unlucky against Maribor in the EL.

Hopefully it doesn't get any better for you lot next week [emoji14]

STAND FREE!!!!

There are legitimate criticisms in there but to be quite frank if this is a season you're not happy with I would suggest supporting another club.

16 minutes ago, Milners said:

Really!

This was just my opinion.

I was hoping to at least reach the play off in Europe so the campaign was a failure in my eyes. We had an awful away journey to Luxembourg abd didn't play to our full potential at Pittodrie against Maribor. Mistakes we'll have learned from. I have confidence we'll reach play off spot and it would be massive to get to the group stages.

League Cup was an absolute failure - Celtic slapped us and we had no answer. We better have the answers on Saturday.

We have had a good season. It will be a great season if we can beat Celtic.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There are legitimate criticisms in there but to be quite frank if this is a season you're not happy with I would suggest supporting another club.

I perfectly happy - just could have went better.

Thanks for your suggestion, as ridiculous as it was, but I'm going to carry on supporting the Dons.

Europa League - Embarrassment. Up there with the worst results in the club's history.
League Cup - Papped out at the first opportunity in the first of four defeats at McDiarmid Park.
Scottish Cup - Squeezed past an awful Raith Rovers side to then be put in our place by First Division Hibs.
Scottish Premiership: Dire. Played awful football under Neilson to scrape points then completely collapsed after he left.

It's not been a great season for Hearts.

Just now, R.Mutt said:

I perfectly happy - just could have went better.

Thanks for your suggestion, as ridiculous as it was, but I'm going to carry on supporting the Dons.

Ach it was a wee bit tongue in cheek.

I suppose I feel sometimes the current squad don't get the credit they deserve.  This is as good an Aberdeen side as I've ever seen and I look forward to watching us every week.  This season has had its disappointments of course as does every season but Celtic are, lets not underestimate this, on a completely different level to any other side in the country.  Whilst that is frustrating it shouldn't stop us praising this Dons side, they are fantastic.

The past week or so has been disappointing from a Killie perspective. Two poor defeats where we could - should in the case of the 'Well game - have done better.

However one year ago today was the second leg of the Falkirk playoff at RP, and you have to compare it to last season which was a total, abject catastrofuck of a failure that the 4-0 win on the final day papered over the cracks of.

Lee Clark proved himself to be a gambler with just about everything - unveiling a whole team's worth of players together on the one day, his tactics, his handling of the Woodman-MacDonald situation, the cryogenic chamber saga - it goes on. Once McCulloch took over we became more stable, even if it was only slightly so. Our League Cup group was an atrocious failure, struggling against the likes of Berwick Rangers and Albion Rovers and our Scottish Cup exit to Hamilton summed up our poor season in the cups.

Against this though, the young players like Greg Taylor, Adam Frizzell, Iain Wilson, Dean Hawkshaw, Innes Cameron et al. have really stepped up and shown a good level of desire and hunger. Being young they're inevitably going to make mistakes and aren't immune to criticism when they do get it - but I'm more than happy to support them if they try their best. 

Overall you could say it's been a success as we managed to avoid 11th and 12th place by a fairly comfortable margin in the end. I'm not convinced that we'd have finished as well as 8th had Clark not left. At the start of the season I said that I'd have been happy with 10th place and I stick by that. 

To further quantify this season as a success MJ is finally leaving which means that we'll be able to attract some of the NAPM crowd back and also get some fresh investment into the club - even getting a proper board rather than a one-man boardroom might be achievable now! I'm pleased that the season has ended as it's been a long one and I'm going to enjoy a good few weeks without bothering much about the football, going and doing some different things on Saturdays. By the time the League Cup starts I'll probably have the big again, but for now I'm content with things the way they are.

Archived