Season 2016/17, success or fail?

Celtic, success. Some decent CL showings and easing to the treble.

Aberdeen, relative success. 2 cup finals and 2nd in the league is exactly what I'd expect from the countries second force. 

The Rangers, failure. Paying over the odds for pretty shite footballers and 2 crap managers has cost the new upstarts.

St Johnstone, success. We're all going on a European tour. (It may only be 1 journey to Wales but I don't give a f**k)

Hearts, failure. Abysmal season.

Patrick Thistle, who?

Ross County, failure. Roys millions are dwindling away.

Kilmarnock, success. Just staying in the top league is a success for a side so meh.

Dundee, failure. Tayside wee team spend all their money on budgeting for 5th place :lol: utter minter.

Motherwell, failure. With some decent players in their squad they have been pish for a couple of seasons, I blame McGhee.

Hamilton, failure. Get Doon fucking nonentities. 

Inverness, failure. Bye Bye, I'm waving.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly harsh on Aberdeen and Ross County IMO. Thistle also had a great season.

If you had offered Aberdeen second place and two cup finals at the start of the season they'd have bitten your hand off. Especially with Rangers superior budget although I think Rangers have been more poorr than Aberdeen have been strong. 

Ross County are probably where they should be? 7th place is respectful for them, no?

6 minutes ago, elmejorjay said:

Slightly harsh on Aberdeen and Ross County IMO. Thistle also had a great season.

If you had offered Aberdeen second place and two cup finals at the start of the season they'd have bitten your hand off. Especially with Rangers superior budget although I think Rangers have been more poorr than Aberdeen have been strong. 

Ross County are probably where they should be? 7th place is respectful for them, no?

A few St Johnstone fans are obsessed with the budget of Ross County. It's sad but there you go.

8 minutes ago, forkboy said:

A few St Johnstone fans are obsessed with the budget of Ross County. It's sad but there you go.

Is it not almost necessary for Ross County to have a bigger budget in terms of logistics? Most players would want to be based in the central belt so it would make sense for you guys to offer more money as part of recruitment. I could be totally wrong though 

With the leagues smallest budget, our main objective was to stay in the Premiership, so it will ultimately come down to the outcome of the play- off final if our season has been a success or not. Nonetheless, we really shouldn't have gotten ourselves into this mess. Today aside, our results since the split have been rotten and has put us into this precarious position.

We finished 5th last season.

Also, given our budget was drastically scaled back our target this season was probably to not get relegated (preferably 10th or above), cash in on Marvin Johnson and have a decent run in the cups.

Managing to be drawn against either Rangers or Celtic 3 times in 2 cup competitions is pretty unlucky tbh.

We were clearly pish in a footballing sense but given the injuries this season us finishing 9th is a success of sorts. As entertainment we were fucking woeful though. Even our good results weren't necessarily good performances.

4th place in the league, best ever away form, record points tally and some glorious wins.

Failure IMO. We shouldn't be finishing below diddies like Aberdeen and Rangers.

7 hours ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

With the leagues smallest budget, our main objective was to stay in the Premiership, so it will ultimately come down to the outcome of the play- off final if our season has been a success or not. Nonetheless, we really shouldn't have gotten ourselves into this mess. Today aside, our results since the split have been rotten and has put us into this precarious position.

Thank Swanson & Foster as but for the extra two points you got in the last minute at NDP that day you would've been down already.

ok but for many other things too, but that one was the most odd thing to happen for a while.

Winning the development league and finishing strongly in 7th can't be seen as a failure, aiming for top 6 but just missing out, don't really think that's a failure either given the competitiveness of the league this season. Id take a 7th place finish for next season right now, especially if Accies loose the play off!

Success/ish, finishing higher than i thought we would during a season where everything that could go tits up, did go tits up.   Seeing several youngsters make their way in to the starting 11 and watching them hold their own in most top 6 games.

Boyce being bloody brilliant has almost certainly stopped this season from being an utter disaster for us. I'm far from convinced that McIntyre is the man for the job. He has to get his recruitment right during the summer, or we will be joining the Inverness diddies in the land of Falkirk and Brechin.

Guest DAVIDB69

Worst season ever in the Scottish top flight in my 40 years of watching it, standard atrocious . The bigger city teams may be in all in place next season Inverness and hopefully Hamilton will not be missed

Archived