What is the obsession with work in this country?

Folk demonise other people for not wanting to work.

Spoiler - I don't want to work -  I do it because I have to - out of economic necessity - my economic necessity.

Politicians and commentators constantly stressing the need for us to 'work hard' - 'hard work'.

Well, f**k that - I don't reckon we're here for the sole purpose of working ourselves into an early grave for the benefit of greedy money-makers.

Righteous indignation. Thank you.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the obsession with work in this country?
Folk demonise other people for not wanting to work.
Spoiler - I don't want to work -  I do it because I have to - out of economic necessity - my economic necessity.
Politicians and commentators constantly stressing the need for us to 'work hard' - 'hard work'.
Well, f**k that - I don't reckon we're here for the sole purpose of working ourselves into an early grave for the benefit of greedy money-makers.
Righteous indignation. Thank you.

Completely agree. There is a stigma that you need to work hard and advance etc etc. Why?? I work because I have to... I'm married with a family to support. But believe me; we get one chance in life so when it comes to work; I opt for the easy option when I can..

I totally agree.

The sad fact is the government see it in a completely binary way:

- People who work pay tax

- people who don't work take tax payer money

And to them, that's all it boils down to. f**k human emotion and life enjoyment.

Aye it's ingrained in the national psyche that we must work, and work hard, and those won't don't are utterly demonised. You even have morons who say if they won loads of cash, on the Lottery for example, that they'd still work as they would be bored and wouldn't know what to do. Because their imagination has been shaped by the scum in charge. Folk working, and working hard, don't have the time or resources to question things and make trouble for the scum at the top who exist to cream in the money.

If I could afford it I'd never work again and would be immeasurably more happy than I am now.

People don't get demonised for not wanting to work, they get demonised if they choose to not work despite being able to, and taking benefits from the state.

I don't want to work, but I do because I can make a better life for myself and my family.  Also because I don't think it would be fair if I chose to not work and relied on getting everything I need (and a few things I don't need) from other people's hard work.

Of course, there are a few people who genuinely enjoy their job, and fair play to them, but I suspect they are in a very small monority.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

So people who work hard don't have a brain to question if things could be done in a better way? Just because someone is different to you doesn't mean they're wrong or thick.

Never said anyone was thick or wrong.

My point was that it's a system designed to make people not question things.

Never seen working hard to earn a living  as a virtue tbh probably closer to the opposite. Always find it strange when people talk about how hard they've supposedly been working as if it's a particularly desirable trait to have in a person. 

Never said anyone was thick or wrong.
My point was that it's a system designed to make people not question things.

Marshmallo is right, that is an incredibly sweeping generalisation that people who work are barely capable of independent thought.

The system is bad in terms of how much we work as a nation but regardless of intelligence, background etc the vast majority of us need to work to feed ourselves and our families. That does not stop us from wishing for a better life.

I worked 7 days a week for several months with a week off then got laid off for going home with the flu half way through a shift as I was a contractor. Vowed never to work a full weekend ever again. Britain needs to get out of working longer unproductive hours and I fear brexit plus the tories will make it worse. What happens in companies who work constant overtime is that workers get burned out and are always working at 70% as they can catch up. Id like to see an experiment of output vs overtime versus a flexible working approach. I think you would get more work done in less hours for less money. There's always one or two greedy workers who claim all the overtime going and get lauded as company men but in reality are stealing resources. Why take a job when you can't afford a lifestyle without constant overtime? Dangerous.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

So people who work hard don't have a brain to question if things could be done in a better way? Just because someone is different to you doesn't mean they're wrong or thick.

I think it's more about people wanting to be creative and inventive in their leisure time, but by the time you've worked a full shift, travelled to and from work, and spent a 'free' hour in the middle of the working day miles from where you'd like to be, you're too fucked to do enough of the stuff you want to do - then you spend your weekend catching up on things, and catching up on much-needed rest.  It's a grind, and the sheer drudgery of it can be quite soul destroying.

Work is shite. Plus as technology advances it is less necessary in order to provide for humanity. We should be looking at four day weeks, stuff like that.

This year my company brought in a "buy back" policy for holidays where you can get another 20 days annual leave and they reduce your salary accordingly. Decent idea but I'm not sure how many folk have taken it up. As has been said, people take on big mortgages and buy fancy cars and have rakes of bairns - expensive stuff.

Archived