There's a massive difference between 'work' and 'your current job' - and this thread is jumping between the two a lot.

You can work really hard getting your house or your garden or you're physique the way you want it - that's work. It requires a decent work ethic and there's a pride attached with that. Stuff that comes easily in life is far less rewarding (which is why many lottery winners can struggle psychologically if they're not careful).

You can have a great work ethic but hate your current job. And you can have a shite work ethic but enjoy your current job (although this is less common).

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

There's a massive difference between 'work' and 'your current job' - and this thread is jumping between the two a lot.

You can work really hard getting your house or your garden or you're physique the way you want it - that's work. It requires a decent work ethic and there's a pride attached with that. Stuff that comes easily in life is far less rewarding (which is why many lottery winners can struggle psychologically if they're not careful).

You can have a great work ethic but hate your current job. And you can have a shite work ethic but enjoy your current job (although this is less common).

I think paranoid android has a shite work ethic and hates his job, hence the thread.

I quite enjoy my job, although management is a bit of a shambles. I earn enough to be pretty comfortable and do things I enjoy. My job entails helping people obtain benefits and sometimes entails making DWP decision makers look stupid , so it's pretty pleasing work at times.

My attitude to work varies greatly, I'm normally on 8-5 and can be my own boss when I choose, we have two facilities and I'm the "manager" of one of those. So if I decide to be at that facility I'm normally in the pub / sleeping / by around 1pm.
The other aspect is that I work offshore 12 hours a day 7 days a week for up to 6-7weeks at a time.
To be brutally honest the times I'm in the pub at 1 are the best.

3 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Shall we set a date? :wub:

We should definitely talk about rings.;)

Ok. I don't want anything too extravagant though. Something like this...5921e569d49d4_massive-4-row-keeper-ring-cast-in-jewellers-bronze-105-grams-any-size-min-size-v-5-126-p.thumb.jpg.cee18841a76830f811ac00eeee2ad6e4.jpg

Thank you. x

4 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

I never even had time to buy a hat, do folk still wear hats?

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Your Rovers toorie will suffice.

It probably landed in the bin along with his Rovers scarf.

I'm a self employed mortgage adviser. I go out to see people all the time, do the majority of my work at home and really enjoy it. Something about working hard for a customer rather than an employer is very gratifying. Being in charge of your own marketing is also good fun.

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Ok. I don't want anything too extravagant though. Something like this...5921e569d49d4_massive-4-row-keeper-ring-cast-in-jewellers-bronze-105-grams-any-size-min-size-v-5-126-p.thumb.jpg.cee18841a76830f811ac00eeee2ad6e4.jpg

Thank you. x

^^^should have left his dreams of a good fingering behind in Dundee.

On 2017-5-20 at 11:58, paranoid android said:

What is the obsession with work in this country?

Folk demonise other people for not wanting to work.

Spoiler - I don't want to work -  I do it because I have to - out of economic necessity - my economic necessity.

Politicians and commentators constantly stressing the need for us to 'work hard' - 'hard work'.

Well, f**k that - I don't reckon we're here for the sole purpose of working ourselves into an early grave for the benefit of greedy money-makers.

Righteous indignation. Thank you.

Probably boils down to having a royal family.

We're the ants scrambling over each other to get nearest to the queen.

20 minutes ago, thelocalcat said:

I'm a self employed mortgage adviser. I go out to see people all the time, do the majority of my work at home and really enjoy it. Something about working hard for a customer rather than an employer is very gratifying. Being in charge of your own marketing is also good fun.

Don't talk shite, you work for whoever pays your commission and both sides hate you. I hope this helps.

I'm not yet 20 but have worked in the kitchen of a small business for 4 and a half years and if I'm being honest it's really starting to drag, the guys I work with are starting to really grate with me and I'm probably being paid less than the other guy who runs the kitchen on my days off but I guess he gets more because he has a family and has held his position longer. I would really like an apprenticeship and totally change my working life but I've found little luck despite appearing at least from the feedback I've had to please the interview panels. Are these gripes and grievances normal for being in the same place of work so long I'm sure some guys on here will have a vast amount more experience than me and would be interested to hear how you guys either enjoy a settled work life or need new challenges every so often 

30 minutes ago, thelocalcat said:

Thanks for sharing, but this isn't some workaholic group hug. (unless you've posted before on this thread.)

Archived