Work is a 2 way contract between 2 parties providing mutual benefit.

No one is lucky to have a job. Thats another great lie perpetuated by the tories

I am a firm believer in the contract, it is after all what we agreed to.

I am required to do X in return for Y.(wage, pension contribution, etc)

The number of people who try to avoid doing X and still expect Y is ridiculous. As is the number of companies/boses who want far more than X(unpaid overtime, still in contact when on leave etc) but still only provide Y.

I am only employed because someone reckons they will earn more from my effort than it will cost them. They aren't doing that though kindness.
I think work ethic is a good thing - and it's absolutely human nature.

Are those who don't want to work happy enough for others you do it so they can benefit? That's a pretty morally corrupt way to look at life I reckon.

Fully agree with this.

I despise the work shy chancers who seem to be on the majority in the country.

However I fully support things like moving towards a 30 hour week, greater holiday allowance, more parental leave etc

I guess in I think we should be working harder as a whole, but over a shorter period of time.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As individuals, as a society, as a nation and globally we should always be seeking to progress.

Only a minority seem to be keen on pushing that.

There is no end goal to progress, it is continual.

What can we be doing to better ourselves? To better our contibution to our workplace, our community?

Just now, parsforlife said:

As individuals, as a society, as a nation and globally we should always be seeking to progress.

Only a minority seem to be keen on pushing that.

We are progressing technologically, scientifically, and that.

I'd rather se us progressing morally.

Not as fast as we could be.

Progressing morally isn't contradictory to scientific or technological advance.

None of that is benefited by spending half your day having aimless gossip and most of the rest of it drinking coffee. Only interested in doing the minimal needed to avoid being sacked.

Just now, parsforlife said:

Not as fast as we could be.

Progressing morally isn't contradictory to scientific or technological advance.

None of that is benefited by spending half your day having aimless gossip and most of the rest of it drinking coffee. Only interested in doing the minimal needed to avoid being sacked.

The pace of life is too fast as it is - have you heard of a thing called stress?

There's plenty of scientific/technological progress - precious little moral progress, though, and I didn't say there was a contradiction between the two.

I don't want to be drawing my last breath knowing I worked hard for The Man - I'd rather reflect on the better things in life - work isn't one of those.

The pace of life is too fast as it is - have you heard of a thing called stress?

I don't want to be drawing my last breath knowing I worked hard for The Man - I'd rather reflect on the better things in life - work isn't one of those.

Pace of life is too fast for some, for many it's far too slow.

I don't want to spend my last breath happy to have worked for the man either, but I wouldn't want to be thinking of for all the time I sat on my arse .

If you are going to be at your work for 8 hours a day then you may as well try to achieve something with that. You sure as hell aren't achieving 'the more important things' in that time.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Pace of life is too fast for some, for many it's far too slow.

I don't want to spend my last breath happy to have worked for the man either, but I wouldn't want to be thinking of for all the time I sat on my arse .

If you are going to be at your work for 8 hours a day then you may as well try to achieve something with that. You sure as hell aren't achieving 'the more important things' in that time.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say the pace of life in the 21st century in the UK is too slow until now,

I think employers get their pound of flesh and more - it's always in their favour, imo.

I like working, especially in my current job.  My job is basically to co-ordinate recovery for IT and telecoms faults for a large organisation, so I get to deal with different things all the time.   It can be stressful and I can work long hours (I'm working at the moment) but I get satisfaction from it.  I like that in my current company we can clearly see the affect of what I do - when we fix things we can tell exactly what we've restored for paying customers and have tangible services.  I worked for a long time in the financial sector doing a very similar role and while it's enjoyable to solve problems and work things through in that environment, you are often dealing with very dry and technical issues that can be difficult to relate back to people's lives.  

I'm well paid and have a good benefits package so I enjoy that.  I get on with my colleagues as well and like going into the office, which is important.   I've worked places where managers were horrible bullies and pressure was piled on staff unnecessarily.  No matter how you enjoy your work or your pay, that's no way to live.

17 hours ago, paranoid android said:

What is the obsession with work in this country?

Folk demonise other people for not wanting to work.

Spoiler - I don't want to work -  I do it because I have to - out of economic necessity - my economic necessity.

Politicians and commentators constantly stressing the need for us to 'work hard' - 'hard work'.

Well, f**k that - I don't reckon we're here for the sole purpose of working ourselves into an early grave for the benefit of greedy money-makers.

Righteous indignation. Thank you.

14 hours ago, paranoid android said:

I think it's more about people wanting to be creative and inventive in their leisure time, but by the time you've worked a full shift, travelled to and from work, and spent a 'free' hour in the middle of the working day miles from where you'd like to be, you're too fucked to do enough of the stuff you want to do - then you spend your weekend catching up on things, and catching up on much-needed rest.  It's a grind, and the sheer drudgery of it can be quite soul destroying.

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

2 hours ago, paranoid android said:

There's plenty of scientific/technological progress - precious little moral progress, though, and I didn't say there was a contradiction between the two.

1 hour ago, paranoid android said:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say the pace of life in the 21st century in the UK is too slow until now,

I think employers get their pound of flesh and more - it's always in their favour, imo.

This thread has confused me since the original post. I'm struggling to understand what the actual problem is. It sounds more like you're having an existential crisis rather than questioning work tbh. 

Since the beginning of time man has had to work. If he didn't go out and hunt a boar and gather some nice vegetation to accompany his meat dish, he wouldn't survive. As humanity has evolved it's become a lot easier to sit at a desk and be rewarded for your 'hard work'. You still have the option to live off the land if you have a problem with "the man". 

Personally I don't have a problem with bosses at the top of the chain getting rich due in part to my contribution to their company. They've provided me with a job and they have to deal with all the stress that comes with their position - good luck to them.

4 hours ago, Dee Man said:

This thread has confused me since the original post. I'm struggling to understand what the actual problem is. It sounds more like you're having an existential crisis rather than questioning work tbh. 

Since the beginning of time man has had to work. If he didn't go out and hunt a boar and gather some nice vegetation to accompany his meat dish, he wouldn't survive. As humanity has evolved it's become a lot easier to sit at a desk and be rewarded for your 'hard work'. You still have the option to live off the land if you have a problem with "the man". 

Personally I don't have a problem with bosses at the top of the chain getting rich due in part to my contribution to their company. They've provided me with a job and they have to deal with all the stress that comes with their position - good luck to them.

My later posts are in response to the boy's suggestion that, if society is to progress towards some kind of magical future, we, the drones, have to keep our shoulder to the wheel.

It's about silver spoon politicians constantly emphasising the need for us to WORK HARD - it's about work being knackering, stultifying, mind-numbing, soul destroying labour when it doesn't need to be. It's about folk grafting away for the least amount of money employers will pay so that profits can be maximised. It's about incredibly rich people staying rich on the back of folk who are supposed to settle for less, but as long as we get our two weeks in June and beer money, we're to continue to bend over, take it dry, and say 'thank you, sir - please may I have another'.

Eat your cereal, and thank you. ;)

I enjoy my work - I think mostly because of  the other staff I work with. If they were arseholes or not very good at the job then I'd have already left. My boss is one of the nicest blokes I've ever met.

In terms of work ethic then it's quite simple to me - I'm there to work, not piss about. It's fine having a laugh and that during shift but not being fully switched on can have such a burdon on the other staff as we work with tight staff:kids ratios (I work in Childcare).

Mind you if I won the lottery (or even the £20k Clyde lottery) my notice would be handed in at the first opportunity but I would work until I was replaced. 

Edit: At 24 and having experienced both periods of time being unemployed and employed, I think the money aspect far outweighs the desire not to work but also the social aspect, even routine. I was unemployed for something like 8 months and it utterly soul destroying. 

17 hours ago, RR #1 said:

I know for a fact most of the Eastern European's at my work think the Scottish workers are a bunch of lazy b*****ds.

I am a forklift driver and last week a new lad started beside me, he is Bulgarian. We were getting on fine at first when I was showing him the ropes. As the week went on though everytime we had finished loading a wagon he would get off his forklift and start sweeping the floor or something similar. I told him he didn't need to do that but he said he liked to keep busy. You get 10-15 minutes in between loads and I take this time to f**k about on my phone or go out to smoke but now I feel like I've got to tidy up too or I will look bad. Over the course of the week I became absolutely seething at his constant cleaning so when he went for his lunch on Friday I threw the brush on the roof, hid the bin and made as much mess as possible all afternoon. By the end of the day he was all stressed out at the mess and got on his hands and knees to sweep dust and bits of cardboard up with his bare hands. Even though I told him cleaners or warehouse staff would sort it. 

Can't understand people with this attitude towards work. People who run about the workplace trying to look keen and hard working is my pet hate in life and makes me more angry than it probably should. 

I feel sorry for the Bulgarian boy.

10 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Utter pish. So if you're lucky enough to be in a job that robots could do, you're free to piss about doing hee-haw for a very generous 24 hours a week - your only responsibility presumably being keeping the robot from killing anyone - while the mugs who chose the "looking after people" role still need to bust a gut to cope with the twin problems of plummeting birth rates and everyone living longer?

No thats not what I said. Thanks for playing though. 

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just remember, you're only allowed to murder the prozzies on your own time.

I abduct them on my 15 minute morning break then strangle and dispose of them on my half hour lunch break. Both of these are unpaid so I can sleep easy at night with a clear conscience.

Archived