Why does the Scottish media get concerned about "the state of the game in Scotland" when Celtic are dominating?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, King Dom's Moustache said:

If Celtic winning everything in sight for the next few years means we can continually pish ourselves at the state of Rangers I'm all for it tbh.

Nothing pleases me more.

Surely Hibs winning said trophies for the next few years would please you more?

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

A secret society of masoic people? I'm intrigued, tell me more.

Is masoic an abbreviation for masochistic?

I thought armageddon was over and now another new armageddon seems to have came out of nowhere. If we can survive another armageddon does that mean were ok or will another armageddon follow this new armageddon after the old armageddon?
What kills armageddons completely?

Armageddon

8 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Rangers were hardly amazing in Europe during 9IAR.

Dodo FC 1873 were hilarious in Europe during the 90's. 

Auxerre 

Gothenborg 

Ajax 

Juventus 

Levski Sofia 

And many more ruined breeks galore. 

:lol:

8 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Rangers were hardly amazing in Europe during 9IAR.

I would agree.  To be honest - I am not all that interested in Rangers - or whatever they call themselves now.

The point is that there once was a time when a Scottish team might do well in Europe without even being the top team in Scotland.

Now we have a team that won the top flight in Scotland easily but got trampled in Europe.

Of course, if said team (not Rangers btw) were to do well in the Champions League this next time - then that might look better for Scottish football at least.
.. or if they played as badly in the Premier league as they did in the Champions League - then that would be even better still.  In terms of consistency - you understand.

1 minute ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Scotland, World Cup 90, Euro 92, Euro 96 and World Cup 98?

We were not happy back then either, to many glorious failures then just failure. When we lost 5-0 to Portugal in 1993 (this was the same game McCoist broke his leg) the shock of that brought about a lot of discussion in the media on why we seem to be falling behind the other nations when it comes to producing home grown talent. I think even the ones who were burying their heads in the sand suddenly realised we are going to be in trouble in a few years. But still there were a few heads buried in the sand cause our top big teams in Europe (more like Rangers than anyone else) were generally doing not bad. People forget our clubs had abysmal embarrassing results in Europe back in the 90's too.

People have very short memories especially when it comes to Scottish football. The past always seems to be painted up as some sort of golden era and we are never happy with what we have now, its part of the mentality that prevents us from seeing any positive in the future and maybe why it appears to some we are making no progress at all. I think we had it far too easy in the 60's and 70's when there was less competition. Now everything is leveling out with more countries to compete against and more teams than ever for our teams who qualify for Europe to play against and there are still some folks who think we should and have some sort of entitlement to the same level we had when there was less competition back in the 60's the 70's and even the 80's, but without the money to invest or promote the game and without the resources and population other countries have. Scottish football is massively deluded.

Archived