The Chlamydia Kid

Airdrieonians off season thread 2017

1,763 posts in this topic

Go and at least capitalise the title, your giving me and my OCD tendencies the fear :lol:

Pedantry aside, I'm away out to drown my sorrows.

Hope all the long suffering Diamonds out there have a pleasant evening

There's always next season.

If it's not Wilson in charge next season would the fans accept John Hughes

19 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

Think Wilson will be in charge,  someone posted that Dalziel has already stated that they should be judged at the end of next season after they've brought in their own players. 

57 minutes ago, carlukediamond said:

Has he not just been in charge as Raith get relegated? No thanks.

34 minutes ago, Nipper said:

Think Wilson will be in charge,  someone posted that Dalziel has already stated that they should be judged at the end of next season after they've brought in their own players. 

If GD is bringing in his own players, I expect very little. He should "depart, I say in the name of God go" ( Said to Neville chamberlain in 1940 I think)

1 hour ago, carlukediamond said:

F**k sake, think before you post Ffs

1 hour ago, carlukediamond said:

That's one way to get rid of Beany.:lol:

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

If GD is bringing in his own players, I expect very little. He should "depart, I say in the name of God go" ( Said to Neville chamberlain in 1940 I think)

It may have been said to Chamberlain as well, but I think it was originally what Oliver Cromwell said when he was dismissing the so-called "Rump Parliament".

9 hours ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

It may have been said to Chamberlain as well, but I think it was originally what Oliver Cromwell said when he was dismissing the so-called "Rump Parliament".

Yes that is correct but I thought going back to the 1940's was easier than the 1640's. Either way I hope the Chairman enforces it.

With both Ayr and Raith Rovers coming down it is important that we don't make an arse of summer recruitment. TW needs to confirm if Wilson will be head coach and back him financially to let him improve the squad. 

Personally I would get rid of both Wilson and Dalziel but I can't see it happening. There was small signs of improvement towards the end of the season but if we want to get out of league next season I feel we need an experienced coach / manager.

Most of the squad still have a year to go on their contracts so there isn't much room for new additions so we need to make sure we get the right players in. I would expect Boateng, Mensing and Leitch will all leave as their contracts have ended. The 3 loan players will also return to their clubs so we will need at least 6 new players. Personally I think we need 7 or 8. We can't afford to have a week subs bench like this year. 

I think we need a keeper to challenge Ferguson (ideally someone with some decent experience), 2 centre halfs, 2 new full backs (Stewart and MacDonald are fine when we play with 3 at the back but not good enough defensively if we play a back 4), a ball winning midfielder, a striker and a winger. Whether we can afford that many signings is another matter.

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jarss said:

With both Ayr and Raith Rovers coming down it is important that we don't make an arse of summer recruitment. TW needs to confirm if Wilson will be head coach and back him financially to let him improve the squad. 

Personally I would get rid of both Wilson and Dalziel but I can't see it happening. There was small signs of improvement towards the end of the season but if we want to get out of league next season I feel we need an experienced coach / manager.

Most of the squad still have a year to go on their contracts so there isn't much room for new additions so we need to make sure we get the right players in. I would expect Boateng, Mensing and Leitch will all leave as their contracts have ended. The 3 loan players will also return to their clubs so we will need at least 6 new players. Personally I think we need 7 or 8. We can't afford to have a week subs bench like this year. 

I think we need a keeper to challenge Ferguson (ideally someone with some decent experience), 2 centre halfs, 2 new full backs (Stewart and MacDonald are fine when we play with 3 at the back but not good enough defensively if we play a back 4), a ball winning midfielder, a striker and a winger. Whether we can afford that many signings is another matter.

It's a tough one with Ferguson, I'd like a more experienced, able back-up/challenger for his position. However when he plays like yesterday he is more than good enough and therefore spending a good wage on essentially a back-up goalie seems a bit of a waste. You aren't going to find an experienced, full-time goalie who is willing to sit on the bench unless you pay them handsomely, which we can't afford to do. The first decision the manager is going to have to make is how much faith they have in him.

I agree with saying we need at least 7-8 players. We only finished 13 points ahead of 10th place this season, had a negative goal difference and the worst goals against in the league. If you'd replaced Andy Ryan with say a 5-10 goal striker this season instead (say Jack McKay) we'd probably have been relegated. That is the reality of the level of the other 10 players who've been starting most weeks. You can get away with 2-3 of those if there's enough quality around about them, but not the number that we have.

Right when are season tickets on sale? Im up for it again. Might try and get a few away games in too. Kirkcaldy, Ayr, Arbroath, can't wait!

Thoughts now turn to the "what are we gonna do now" question.

Obviously we're all hoping for a change of manager + dof.   Both have been absolutely rotten (i have proved that statement on another thread).

We have a core of players remaiming for next season that is not exactly brilliant:   Rohan, McIntosh, Gorman, McDonald, Fitzpatrick, Conroy, Russell and Ryan.

Out of contract are: Mensing, Stewart, Hutton, Brown, Boateng, Leitch, McKay.

Firstly:   Look at the stats needed to get to our ambitions.  We need to be conceding a lot less and scoring a chunk more.   Last season Livvy were 80:32,  we were 61:66.   That's right, even another season of just Andy Ryan isn't enough.

Our defence in the last 8 or 9 games got the goals against ratio down to 1 per game after going to a back 3.   It was still a bit shaky but with McIntosh, Gorman and McDonald still there we may need to keep that shape.

However we didnt get enough goals from the midfield and wings.   Russell chipped in but Brown was really disappointing given his role.  Leitch had a poor return and we needed more from the Fitzy/Hutton/Conroy combo.

IMO,  I'd be looking for us to release Brown and Leitch on that basis alone.   We got more in 10 minutes from Loudon at Alloa though he isn't the answer.

A right sided winger cum striker is an absolute must, and he must profile to be amongst the goals.

Does anyone think Fitzpatrick and Conroy is the centre mid pairing to win the league?   We need a box-box midfielder capable of getting at least 5 goals.  It isn't Hutton and it isn't Leitch.  Maybe migrating Scott Stewart could help and we can get a better defensive wingback?

Lastly for now the defence.  Stick or twist with Mensing?   I really didnt like him as things got worse.   The ship steadied lately but was that down to McIntosh and Gorman?   The alternative could be Crighton.  Another player I was down on but that was as much guilt by association as I cant have Lithgow under any circumstances.   Crighton is very good in the air which is something we're needing.   He is flawed but would be a good alternative and influence on McIntosh and Gorman.

These are my thoughts for now.    

Release:  Mensing, Boateng, Hutton, Leitch, McKay and Brown

Re-sign: Stewart

Sign:  centrehalf (Crighton),  rightback/wingback (O'Neill/Bain type), right winger (nipper/mcphee type) and some bench filler.   Cairns, McLaughlin, Thomson, Leighton and truesdale to puch more.

Agree with you generally. I just hope we don't lose any of the little quality we actually do have in the squad.

That would see us effectively having to start from scratch, which would be a disaster.

I'm no fan of Dalziel for obvious reasons, nor Wilson who too often has looked down his nose at the fans and the club. I'd prefer both to go. 

But for the sake of the club, we desperately need an organised close season managed by people who understand the failings and weaknesses in the current set up. Therefore, keeping them may be the most pragmatic thing to do.

Let's hope they have a long list of targets already and can spend the next few weeks whittling that down to secure the signings we need to justify Wotherspoon's considerable investment. The back of a fag packet signings of the likes of Schmidt and Faria can't be allowed to be repeated.

The rumours of his departure seem premature, a few people close to him have said he is energised and committed. I think a lot of us, Wotherspoon included, thought the full-time thing might be the panacea, and were left disappointed by its failure to deliver immediate progress. 

Let's hope for some stability behind the scenes over the summer and some efforts at bridge building between the club and the fans. 

20 minutes ago, OTL2014 said:

I'm no fan of Dalziel for obvious reasons, nor Wilson who too often has looked down his nose at the fans and the club. I'd prefer both to go. 

But for the sake of the club, we desperately need an organised close season managed by people who understand the failings and weaknesses in the current set up. Therefore, keeping them may be the most pragmatic thing to do.

Let's hope they have a long list of targets already and can spend the next few weeks whittling that down to secure the signings we need to justify Wotherspoon's considerable investment. The back of a fag packet signings of the likes of Schmidt and Faria can't be allowed to be repeated.

The rumours of his departure seem premature, a few people close to him have said he is energised and committed. I think a lot of us, Wotherspoon included, thought the full-time thing might be the panacea, and were left disappointed by its failure to deliver immediate progress. 

Let's hope for some stability behind the scenes over the summer and some efforts at bridge building between the club and the fans. 

Agree with this, stability is required to get us up and running properly and a change of management isn't exactly providing that.

With regards to signings I would like to see what we are able to achieve when we are not under pressure of trying to find players in January which is always a tough task. Mensing, McGregor and Hutton have done ok (being very generous) but we really need to be avoiding signing more players like McKay, who tried his best but really was just a younger version of Taylor Morgan.

Agree with this, stability is required to get us up and running properly and a change of management isn't exactly providing that.

With regards to signings I would like to see what we are able to achieve when we are not under pressure of trying to find players in January which is always a tough task. Mensing, McGregor and Hutton have done ok (being very generous) but we really need to be avoiding signing more players like McKay, who tried his best but really was just a younger version of Taylor Morgan.

I don't think signings like Jack McKay were the problem to be honest. That was a kind of "nothing lost, nothing gained" signing as I can't imagine we were paying much (if any) of his wage and he added another body to the squad.

The problems were signings like Dan Boateng and Jack Leitch, who without doubt would have taken a much more significant proportion of the first team wage budget without really contributing anything.