St Johnstone FC European Tour 17/18

Steve McQueen

We clearly are if we're qualifying for Europe.

In Europe as you well know.

The reality is that your team are good enough to shitfest their way through a 38 game season - any bad run is usually compensated by points ground out elsewhere. In a 2-leg tie you don't have that luxury - f**k up as you did in the first leg and there is a distinct lack of creativity to haul you back in to the tie.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

If we take 2011-12 as the starting point - 5yr ago and after Motherwell's runs in the 2 previous seasons - then in addition to Celtic and Aberdeen's various runs you've also got Hearts beating Paksi and Infonet, and St Johnstone beating Rosenborg and Lucern.

Dundee Utd, Hibs, ICT, Motherwell and Rangers came up short.

Respectable defeats would include Hibs to Brondby (on pen); Inverness to Astra; St Johnstone to Trnava, Minsk (on pen) and Eskisehirspor; Motherwell to Kuban, Panathinaikos and Levante; Hearts to Liverpool and Spurs; Dundee Utd to Dynamo Moscow and Slask Wroclaw.

On the balance sheet of embarrassment you've Hearts losing to Birkirkara; St Johnstone losing to Alashkert and Trakai; Motherwell losing to St Jarnan; Rangers losing to Niederkorn; and also add in Hibs thrashed by Malmo.

Before going into liquidation Rangers had also lost v Malmo and Maribor under McCoist.

On the positive side, that tie introduced the world to the Viking Thunder Clap, which isn't tedious in the slightest. And the biggest turd in that fucking U-Bend is the introduction to the world of that fucking clapping thing. 

Stjarnan, BTW.

The reality is that your team are good enough to shitfest their way through a 38 game season - any bad run is usually compensated by points ground out elsewhere. In a 2-leg tie you don't have that luxury - f**k up as you did in the first leg and there is a distinct lack of creativity to haul you back in to the tie.

Well yeah, a lack of cutting edge when we're the stronger team is something we've struggled with for years. Since the May season, our quality in attack has slowly been dwindling away. It's too early yet, but Scougall looks a quality addition, but hes surrounded by absolute dross when going forward. He'll likely create enough chances for us to win games if we can keep clean sheets, but we're looking at another season of scrappy games.

I'll swap Blair Alston for local Perthshire lad Scott Shepherd. Quick, strong, scored a bucket load in the development league last year. Great potential...

Ha ha Trump, I know Scott personally, stopped short of saying no Scott Shepherd at the time!, ill let him know your feeling tomorrow,

So who else for Alston, Ill also say not Loy think we binned him for Rory  Fallon FFS.       

7 minutes ago, Center half said:

I'll swap Blair Alston for local Perthshire lad Scott Shepherd. Quick, strong, scored a bucket load in the development league last year. Great potential...

Ha ha Trump, I know Scott personally, stopped short of saying no Scott Shepherd at the time!, ill let him know your feeling tomorrow,

So who else for Alston, Ill also say not Loy think we binned him for Rory  Fallon FFS.       

Can you ask him if he dyes his hair? Can't possibly be natural. 

As RandomGuy hinted at earlier on, we simply aren't tested enough by the majority of Scottish teams. It's a struggle when you're suddenly required to raise your game to a whole new level. 

What next? Another top-four finish and an early exit from Europe.

It's time for us to enquire about the possibility of playing our football in the EPL.

42 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

So DeeTillEhDeh  what is the answer, as a Dee explain the secret on how we need to get past this first round hurdle, I am sure all of us are awaiting the answer,

We also had this semi final hurdle for a while and eventually we overcome that, we even got over the cup final hurdle and won that also! think the City of Dundee was involved in that as well, so appreciate your advice.

8 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Can you ask him if he dyes his hair? Can't possibly be natural. 

His old man had the same hair colour 30 years ago,

FFS  is that it not his ability  in question his hair colour, ill pay attention and discreetly find out .

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think that's a fair analysis of us. We have been shitfesting for a few years now and we got what we deserved in Europe.

So DeeTillEhDeh  what is the answer, as a Dee explain the secret on how we need to get past this first round hurdle, I am sure all of us are awaiting the answer,
We also had this semi final hurdle for a while and eventually we overcome that, we even got over the cup final hurdle and won that also! think the City of Dundee was involved in that as well, so appreciate your advice.

Still hurting after 55 years.

We lost at home last week to Cowdenbeath. This week we lost away to Cowdenbeath. Ten man Cowdenbeath both times.

Apologies to Cowdenbeath, but I'm not buying this stuff about how Trakai were halfway through their season, their players are under 21 internationalists, they are technically better, we lack quality, our players can't be faulted for effort, blah, blah, blah. That was, over both legs, inexcusable.

Thought we were poor again tonight, very little from anyone to get excited about. Made an average team look a lot better than they are.

Players came off tonight not looking too tired. Can be excused in the first leg, but when you're needing a win and your next competitive game, if you loose, is a month away players should be running themselves into the ground. If tonight was a competitive match, somebody frorgot to tell Saints.

14 hours ago, Kyle said:

I'd like to revise what I said last week. This is not a top 6 side we're playing against - we just made them look like that for the first hour of the match. 

You don't say?

Loving the idea that a humiliating European exit is somehow ok because strangers on a football forum are "raging". 

Archived