St Johnstone FC European Tour 17/18

Steve McQueen

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Widge said:

Ahh probably should have made it clearer there's 2 of us. So it's not quite that cheap haha. Think our flights were £350ish since we'd left it later. Still I'd happily pay anything just in case it's the last time in my lifetime to see saints in Europe.

Okay I thought you had unearthed a new route and costs, i am struggling time wise at work (I am just back from 14days holidays) so the charter would have suited best, still might make it although there has to be a balance on how much you pay for a game of football and possibly the last time in Europe for a while (Said that for 5 of the last 6 years now).  

Aberdeen route looks the best for me just now not to long a journey time (Hanging about airports etc) .

and good flight times as well. hopefully flight costs will settle now and give me time to organise something.      

No shock really, Jack's always been the type to act the "hard man" so seeing him launching into tackles during a warm up game is hardly a shock. Interested to see how our defence will look if both Anderson and Easton miss out.

Easton started today seemingly, no idea how he fared though.

My guess for the line up is..

Clark

Foster
Shaughnessy
Gordon
Easton

Alston
Millar
Craig
Wotherspoon

MacLean
Cummins

On 24/06/2017 at 16:27, RandomGuy. said:

Easton started today seemingly, no idea how he fared though.

My guess for the line up is..

Clark

Foster
Shaughnessy
Gordon
Easton

Alston
Millar
Craig
Wotherspoon

MacLean
Cummins

I'm with Neil..

You've begged the club to sign him the past couple of seasons (I was keen on it too admittedly), then when we finally get him, you leave him out of the team?!!!

I'm with Neil..

You've begged the club to sign him the past couple of seasons (I was keen on it too admittedly), then when we finally get him, you leave him out of the team?!!!

That's not the team I want, its just the team I expect.

Clark

Foster

Shaughnessy

Kerr

Easton

Millar

Craig

Wotherspoon

MacLean

Scougall

Cummins

Would be the team I want

With the quick breaks from their midfield I'd be wanting either Paton or Muzz in Instead of Craig. The wee Liberian looks a threat, Paton or Muzz running the studs down him early may help our cause greatly. Also get Kerr to f**k, Gordon should come straight in.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's not the team I want, its just the team I expect.

Clark

Foster

Shaughnessy

Kerr

Easton

Millar

Craig

Wotherspoon

MacLean

Scougall

Cummins

Would be the team I want

Ah ok. I think seeing as we've pushed the boat out to Scougall, probably convincing him to sign partly with the promise of european football, that it would be quite bold not to start him.  I think he'll play.

Easton needed an injection for his knee so I'm hoping the fact he managed to play yesterday suggests that has worked/settled down and he'll manage Thursday. Losing Anderson is now the big blow and a knockout game is hardly the ideal situation to introduce one of the young centre backs. I do think he'll go with Gordon but it wouldn't shock me massively if it's one of the other two.

I think other than obviously MacLean, the rest of team is hard to pick though. Despite the fact it's virtually the same squad as last season, I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing at this stage of the season. Just hope the manager gets it right for Thursday as really feel we need to get the job done at home. Going over there needing something or even with just a slender lead (especially if having conceded an away goal) isn't something I'd be confident about doing.

There's no way the biggest/only jewel won't play. Given what young Brown will have forked out I expect Scougall to play every game, do a shift in the car park pre-game and help serve pies at half time. 

I'm really happy we got Scougall and have high hopes for him but I don't think it'd be unreasonable if he starts this one on the bench. He's only been here a week, even if we have had three friendlies in that time. There is talk of sussing each other, so he could make an impact off the bench and is then more likely to start in Vilnius, with MacLean sidelined.

That makes complete sense. But I'm inclined to go for the opposite!

I think we'll want to go over there with a good lead and I think our most creative player (on paper at least) will be a big part of it.  As you said in your previous post, going over there with a slender lead or a draw doesn't inspire confidence against a complete unknown on an AstroTurf pitch.

I reckon the plan will be to get a good lead at home, then we'll see a classic attempt at St Johnstone shitfestting over there, with Macca and Scougs dropping out, and reliable safer options making up a midfield 5 e.g. Millar, Liam Craig etc with Kane upfront on his own in full run all day, constant harrying mode.

All just complete conjecture, and to be honest I very rarely successfully predict a Tommy Wright team selection, especially in European games, so who knows..!!

FK Trakai beat 4th division side Garliava 8-0 in the Lithuanian cup yesterday at home.

It looks like if the league tables are correct they've drawn 7 away matches and lost one, but won all matches at home. Very vital we go with a lead across there.

Archived