Homeless in Glasgow Blog.

Morning, folks! 

Another blog up today https://homelessnessinglasgow.wordpress.com/2017/06/02/shouldnt-have-gone-to-specsavers/

Would appreciate if anyone would share elsewhere, FB, Twitter and lesser football forums!! 

Cheers. This should be the second last one so won't be boring you all for much longer.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrific writing again mate. So hard to come to terms with the fact that this is actually real. I have (kinda) had the threat of homelessness looming a couple times (a relationship breakdown, a lease ending when it was previously agreed to carry on) but at no point did I realise the severity of the situation I was facing - which is an absolute blessing in disguise. I've no idea how I would have coped in the situation you faced.

On 2017-6-3 at 15:49, NorthernJambo said:

Terrific writing again mate. So hard to come to terms with the fact that this is actually real. I have (kinda) had the threat of homelessness looming a couple times (a relationship breakdown, a lease ending when it was previously agreed to carry on) but at no point did I realise the severity of the situation I was facing - which is an absolute blessing in disguise. I've no idea how I would have coped in the situation you faced.

Thank you, buddy. Like you I was close to it a few times but had no idea the severity of the life on the ground. Really bleak stuff and most definitely not the two or three month blip I thought it would be. You'd have coped. You have to! Going forward I intend to ensure I always have a wee nest egg squirrelled away so this can't happen again. 

Thank you, buddy. Like you I was close to it a few times but had no idea the severity of the life on the ground. Really bleak stuff and most definitely not the two or three month blip I thought it would be. You'd have coped. You have to! Going forward I intend to ensure I always have a wee nest egg squirrelled away so this can't happen again. 

Hopefully I never need to find out but if it did happen, then hopefully you're right enough.
Sounds a good plan to try and get a bit put aside in case of emergencies. Has been my intention to start doing that for long enough but amongst other things, your blog has helped give me motivation to.

2 hours ago, Homelessglasgow said:

You're obviously bright and determined enough to have gotten through it in spite of officialdom. Did you have much contact with the city centre homeless? I wondered about whether some of them are beyond help now, as far as housing goes. It looks like more of a mental heath issue. 

1 hour ago, NorthernJambo said:

Hopefully I never need to find out but if it did happen, then hopefully you're right enough.
Sounds a good plan to try and get a bit put aside in case of emergencies. Has been my intention to start doing that for long enough but amongst other things, your blog has helped give me motivation to.

I'm just thinking from my point of view. If I read this about a year ago I wouldn't have known whether I would have gotten through it all but you find the mettle from somewhere. 

Aye, it is one of many lessons I have learned. Get yourself a wee stash sorted, mate! I know I am going to. 

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You're obviously bright and determined enough to have gotten through it in spite of officialdom. Did you have much contact with the city centre homeless? I wondered about whether some of them are beyond help now, as far as housing goes. It looks like more of a mental heath issue. 

Nah, mate, I stayed away from other homeless folk. I am a pretty insular and introverted guy anyway but seen no good in mingling with other homeless folk. I avoided soup kitchens and the like for this reason. In the Mitchell Library there is a large group of Eastern European and African immigrants who linger around and use the computers to whilst away some of the day, like I used to. I got on nodding terms with some of them but that us as far as it went. 

Folk in the town I think are habitual homeless. You can get papped out of the hostels and bed and breakfasts pretty easily so it is easy to see how mentally ill and folk with addiction issues - probably the same thing - get caught in the cycle permanently. For instance if you don't come home one night to the bed and breakfast and aren't there by tweleve pm the next afternoon your belongings are stuck in black bin bags and you are back on the streets and at the bottom of the pile again.  

Archived