NHS under attack

Scratch that, the Russian Internal Affairs Ministry have been hit with this. Russian authorities tend to turn a blind eye to hackers and careers as long as they don't target Russia.

If some Russian hacker has decided to target the Russian Internal Ministry, expect them to either spend the fee decades in Siberia or turn up south of alive PDQ.

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Scratch that, the Russian Internal Affairs Ministry have been hit with this. Russian authorities tend to turn a blind eye to hackers and careers as long as they don't target Russia.

If some Russian hacker has decided to target the Russian Internal Ministry, expect them to either spend the fee decades in Siberia or turn up south of alive PDQ.

If it was the Russians, it would give the game away a bit if they were the only country unaffected.

15 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

This is being described in the press as a targeted and sophisticated cyber attack on our poor NHS when in reality some stupid old c**t has opened an attachment on an email.

Pretty much - any organisation's cyber security's only ever as good as its dimmest employee.

I'm assuming in this particular instance something fairly elaborate has been used - most people would be able to get round the old-style screenlock ones in five minutes.

Pretty much - any organisation's cyber security's only ever as good as its dimmest employee.
I'm assuming in this particular instance something fairly elaborate has been used - most people would be able to get round the old-style screenlock ones in five minutes.

Indeed. Anyone that works with that amount of sensitive personal information, especially public-sector, should be aware of basic network best practices.

I'd wager that it wouldn't be too hard to find out who was responsible in the first place, and they should be getting fucking hammered for this. If there was a hypothetical scenario where someone left a bank vault open because they didn't understand the lock - and the place was robbed blind - then I'd expect them to be held responsible and this is no different.

Buzzing to head in to work tomorrow. Been off all week and I have no doubt there will be a nice wee PR email about this.

Some great points on this thread, and the sarcastic comments are so close to the actual truth it's scary.

Archived