Berwick Rangers 2017/18

Huge sigh of relief that we are safe from the play-offs, thought that is all about Cowdenbeath and nothing much to do with Berwick Rangers.

I don't know the individuals on the Board as well as most, but it is crystal clear that something in the club's governance needs changing. We've tried a big name manager and we've tried a full-time manager. Both failed dismally. Robbie Horn, running on the club legend ticket, has fared no better and is as hacked off with club politics as much as anyone else.

The common denominators during the 10 years of crap we've had to endure are the Board and the 2 supporters organisations. Seems they all prefer to win minor battles with one another rather than focus on the major issue of us peering over the fecking cliff every year.

One or more of these units needs to step up, learn from the likes of Montrose, communicate, eradicate all the poisonous dissent and do something a lot different. We've been calling for a leader on the pitch for years, but we sure need one in the boardroom too.

More of the same intransigence, and we will be just hoping for a good cup draw and a worse team in the league than us again.

Meanwhile, big man-hugs to Ouzy See and his family.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I love you guys. What a fucking marvellous football club. Every cloud has a silver lining, and throughout the depressing decade Clyde FC has just suffered, we have been side by side with Berwick Rangers for 8 wonderful seasons. I can't wait for you to join us in League 1 in the 2019/20 season once Horn assembles his own squad and starts his dynasty. With this division set to be as weak as ever next year, surely a play-off finish is achievable <3

A word salad above which takes the form of some interesting, and yet hilariously misguided, viewpoints. John Coughlin for all his flaws has stepped in to a very difficult situation with Selkirk recently and immediately galvanised them: who would bet against him taking them up next year, and passing Berwick on the way down? One of the few decisions Bell and the gang (we all know who runs the show) have gotten right recently is to back Coughlin in the summer. It's not his fault that Berwick is such an unattractive proposition for football players; geographically alone, you're a nightmare. The club doesn't have the finances or the facilities to compensate for that. The decision to sack JC so soon in the season (or had he just had enough?) seemed bizarre at the time and that's now being proven, looking at his work with Selkirk.

Horn is a good Berwick man but he will never win promotion with the club as he did a decade ago. With a very healthy budget at Bonnyrigg he did not much more than a decent job. Again, though, Berwick couldn't attract a better candidate. But you'd have been better off giving Coughlin the time, patience and resources needed to build a dynasty. He's worked miracles before - just look at what he did with Berwick in his first spell, and almost getting East Stirlingshire into the promotion play-offs a few years back.

Would hate to see my beloved go down next year, so get the finger out. Take control of your god damn club and give the town an immersive community club of which it can be hugely proud. And, for the love of god, get some young local lads in there too. Bring the passion back to BRFC.
Fraud. Clearly not a Clerwick Rangyde fan.

I just wanted to credit everyone at Berwick Rangers for what they've done so far to help Ouzy See. 

It is a fantastic offer and one I know from speaking with Ousman, that he really appreciates. 

To reach £2,500 already is great: but I hope it can be more. I spoke with See this week to try and publicise his situation. 

The article can be found on my website, here for anyone who'd like to share it and try and enhance the appeal going around just now. 

All the Best for next season. Thanks. :)

Well done to Robbie, the coaching staff and the players for a positive end to the season. With little to play for from half time in the Montrose game, the application and attitude has been first class. 

The management are really changing the mentality in the dressing room. 

This all bodes well for next season but it's the hope that kills you. 

Happy summer holidays. 

If I recall rightly, I wasn't at the meeting where it was voted for. I'm pretty sure I recall saying at the time, I'd have likely voted against it if I had been, but looking at it objectively, I really don't see much of an issue with strengthening fans stake in the club, both then, and now. If anything, it's a decision that might age well with the club in a time of turbulence and with our future looking fairly uncertain. For me, there needs to be someone holding the board accountable and certainly, during my time on the SC Committee, we drove for that at every meeting.
If you want honesty & transparency though, it's my view that neither the Trust nor Supporters Club do a good enough job. For me, the Trust play the card of being sheep in headlights very well. They create a feeling of being 'helpless', that the SC have bullied them with this share purchase and that John Bell, arguably the director with the closest ties to the trust, isn't listened to.
The reality is John is just as guilty as any other board member of causing factionalism. On a different but related note, I resigned from the Trust board about ten years ago because he outright refused to pass on the feelings of the Trust to the board - a good example of the Trust also being poor at holding the board accountable.
One thing that is admirable is their stance on donations - I couldn't believe what I'd hear from some of the old guard on the SC, who felt that the Trust should simply hand money over no questions asked and for any purpose. I also told them that they were wrong.
Elsewhere, for all the effort mentioned above to drive accountability at board level, define roles for directors, establish working groups across different disciplines, progress was incredibly slow with the Supporters Club. Constructive feedback was often met as criticism and shot down furiously.
The club were good enough to open up somewhat - the communications working group is a good example of a success. But the reality is that as the biggest shareholder, the SC is atrociously bad at holding the club accountable, astonishingly naive in handing across funds and very much stuck in their ways.
When we got involved, there was a hope from some of the 'older' folk on the committee that we'd be able to drive some change. The reality is, that even with a well-sized group of fairly young people looking to improve the future of their club and the one or two who welcomed a fresh outlook, we were outnumbered, outvoted and often wasting our time even trying to open the minds of some of those who sat on the committee.
The two organisations think on very different wavelengths. I think ST are more micro, whilst SC are more micro. That doesn't mean the SC are better - their whole process is by far the more flawed. There are arguments for and against there being just one supporters organisation - the macro/micro argument being a great example.
Personally, I think it should be one. It's been suggested for years now, and talks were even had while we were on the committee. Yet people are still in denial - there are claims that no rift exists anymore. It's a myth peddled to maintain the status quo by those who deep down, don't want it to happen. If they did, it would have by now.
I think the sad reality is that until a few folk who hold grudges die and a younger generation are actually allowed to steer the club forwards, the club will remain this way. I thought the very much realistic threat of losing league status might be enough to change some ways, but there are too many people in the club's setup who are way too comfortable with failure. Of course there are problems at board level. I said myself in the last post that I don't think the board are fit for purpose.
But your last sentence sums it up. We all want the same thing, yet have people in fan groups who outright refuse to work together in anything bigger than a 'co-hosted event'. Change starts with the fans - especially at a club that is lucky enough to be owned in the majority by supporters. There are two ways out of this mess for us. Gamble, put shares up for sale and hope a mystery buyer has a fetish for disaster, or work together, find a way forward, engage fans, identify talent in different discplines and work forwards as a club. I'd take either at the moment, but I know which one should be easier.   
His name's Moray by the way. Do your research!
Big bolo supping his coco pops with the league 2 trophy in sight....super way to stay the Sunday!!!

On 29/04/2018 at 09:01, mo83 said:

Big bolo supping his coco pops with the league 2 trophy in sight....super way to stay the Sunday!!!

Can you imagine not even being able to enjoy the biggest moment in your club's history because you're too busy absolutely seething at a Berwick fan?

Can you imagine not even being able to enjoy the biggest moment in your club's history because you're too busy absolutely seething at a Berwick fan?
Oh don't you worry I enjoyed it.....So did big bolo!!!

5 hours ago, onecowden said:

My beer has got a whole lot dearer today guys. Can anyone recommend any good supermarket(s) in lovely Berwick?

There's a Morrisons - its near the roundabout as you come into Berwick from the North on the A1. For really fat b*****ds there's a Maccy D's next to it.

Mind you when Cowden are playing Gretna in the LL next season you can just skip across the Border... :P

29 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

There's a Morrisons - its near the roundabout as you come into Berwick from the North on the A1. For really fat b*****ds there's a Maccy D's next to it.

Mind you when Cowden are playing Gretna in the LL next season you can just skip across the Border... :P

Thanks for that. 

Archived