Berwick Rangers 2017/18

For a team that conceded the most goals in the league last season, surprised to see four existing defenders signed on for next season and talks continuing with a fifth. Hamilton should be allowed to leave and McKinlay given a free with Wilson. We need more quality and stability at the back and settling for the same isn't likely to improve our goals against column. 

It's very early into the close season but when you see the progress made by the likes of Stenhousemuir and Montrose, we are already falling behind.

Rutherford is an excellent acquisition but we need to build from the back starting with a decent keeper. 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Thomson has now signed too. So that's 10ish of last year's underachieving team. 

Having said that, it's probably the best 10, other than Euan Spark. So sign Sparky on, a Keeper, an experienced Centre-back, a midfield playmaker and 2 nippy strikers, and I'll be fairly happy. But it's those half dozen new signings that are absolutely key.

20 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Isn't it time we signed someone?

(Copied and pasted from same date last year)

I'm sure Annan, Elgin, Edinburgh City and Stirling fans are thinking the same.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

I'd make Berwick favourites for the drop for the coming season. 

They will only really sign the dregs no one else wants.

Just so you know.

Why do you think we don't know this ?? This is what we do year in year out

I agreed with the view last season, that sharing news /speculation before signing was counter-productive. If Coff finds a gold nugget or two; players from higher divisions wanting 1st team football, best not to be broadcasting it.

It's so much about the packages we can offer being attractive enough for players the management team want.

Let's see what the outcomes are of the countless meetings and conversations the management team have been having, since the last ball was kicked.

Remaining optimistic that no news is good news.

4 hours ago, A Believer said:

Let's see what the outcomes are of the countless meetings and conversations the management team have been having, since the last ball was kicked.

Any idea how many meetings and conversations the management team have had?

Have I missed any announcements about the new away strip or are we still awaiting the grand reveal?

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Any news on friendlies? Is it still just Consett AFC + Hibs?

Home to Morpeth Town on Sat 8th July........and we've signed young Sauchie Juniors defender, Oliver Fleming 

Any news on friendlies? Is it still just Consett AFC + Hibs?

1st team playing Dev Squad on 1st July, 2pm ko. I know it's not a 'pre-season' as such, but might be interesting to see the whole squad competing with each other for places. Pre-season training started tonight. What closed season.

1 hour ago, A Believer said:

1st team playing Dev Squad on 1st July, 2pm ko. I know it's not a 'pre-season' as such, but might be interesting to see the whole squad competing with each other for places. Pre-season training started tonight. What closed season.

Look forward to seeing our new #1, Jonathan Craig.

Archived