Berwick Rangers 2017/18

I disagree on the new signings.
Young Jamie Todd is getting better with every game and is an improvement on Scullion and Fairbairn.
Declan O'Kane has given us energy and a competitve edge in the middle of the park, we just need someone with more craft to compliment him.
Marcus Godhino was recalled by Hearts and now in the first team.
Ouzy See started really well but has dropped off a little in the last few games.
Jack Hamilton has done well, scoring three goals. He has had to play a little wider than ideal on a few occassions due to a lack of options.
Paul Willis has disappointed since his return, he is an experienced player that should be doing better. 
Overall I think the above players have helped the squad despite the results. 
Being manager of Berwick is a huge task right now, we can't do any better than Robbie Horn with what we have to offer in terms of a budget.  It's going to take some magic to get us competitive next season. Already we need to fill the following positions with new players IMO. Goalkeeper, Right Back, Two centre backs, three midfielders and two strikers. Trying to get the quality needed to compete at the top of the table isnt easy with the money available. Geography will become an even bigger factor with junior teams moving into the pyramid system. The philosophy from above, seems to be to rumble on as we are in the hope we get some cash from a cup draw. We only have the Scottish Cup, the structure of the League Cup makes it impossible for clubs such as Berwick to proceed out the group stages. First and foremost, everyone should be behind the players to help secure our safety this season. Then it is time for serious discussions to take place about the overall running of the club.

Well said; I hope we can turn out tomorrow night in numbers and show Robbie and the guys that support.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion; quite right; although I sense that the predominant view is to have faith in what we have, seeing the value of stability, so let's show that tomorrow night.

If I may, albeit he's on loan, no need to change McCrorie; I'm sure you don't mean that. For me, Brennan hasn't put a foot wrong, and is up against a top keeper in Robbie.

If Robbie M doesn't extend next season, then we need another no.2 keeper /competition as no.1; but Sean's demonstrably good enough IMHO. Not a problem area right now.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was probably harsh on O'Kane - he is a grafter. Nowt wrong with that. Desperately need someone with a bit of finesse alongside him and Notty. Only 2 we have with any experience are Tommo and ..... Willis! (Maybe move him more central?

Some of the decent players We've lost were not in our control - Irving, Godinho, Rutherford - and remember that Waugh, Donaldson, Scullion, and Fairbairn have played plenty of times this season, so Robbie has shifted some dross too.

Has O'kane actually been on a winning Berwick team? To suggest he is giving us a competitive edge is somewhat staggering. He can graft but lacks any creativity, and tbh playing him and Notman together doesn't help the forwards. 

The effort is there from all during the games, but the fact we're not winning games while showing effort is worrying and should concern everyone.

I like Horn but I'm not gonna be blinded because he has been a successful player for the club.  He needs to be judged on results and tbh to date it's been well below par. 

Willis was unreal through as a number 10 in his last spell. I've barely been to any games, but even from what I see in highlights, he looks like one of the few who actually tries to drive things from deeper rather than lumping it. I'd be surprised he's getting criticism, but was criticised early in his last spell too before he was moved central and started to net, so not much of a shock. This is the same support that hounded Henderson out then demanded a goalscorer.

Watching the development team at Alloa - it's live on YouTube.

Enjoying most of the possession, better team, and then ........  awful defensive cock-ups.

Losing 2-1 with 15 mins left.

Back at the 1st team, Henderson, McKenna and Willis IMO all had long poor spells for Berwick before coming good. (Hendo went on to Stirling to repeat the process, without the good bit).

Willis needs to get away from the touchline - we need his control and footballing nous in the middle. 

Players can suddenly click if you get the right set-up around them.* That is what managers are for, and it takes a while to get it right or wrong. It happened with Hendo, Gold at Arbroath, and Jordyn Sheerin is having a stormer lately at Beath.

* Except Josh Morris.

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:56, Redcar said:

Jordyn Sheerin is having a stormer lately at Beath.

Don't buy the hype, he's shite. One of the worst strikers we've had, a slow lump that can't finish.

How's Jack Hamilton getting on, saw he's scored quite a few goals for you guys. Does he stand out at this level? Quite a few Livi fans starting to think he's a decent option for us to explore when he's back whether it be in the Championship or in L1 on loan again. In saying that, could be up front in the Premiership for us if a few unlikely circumstances link up :D 

19 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Don't buy the hype, he's shite. One of the worst strikers we've had, a slow lump that can't finish.

How's Jack Hamilton getting on, saw he's scored quite a few goals for you guys. Does he stand out at this level? Quite a few Livi fans starting to think he's a decent option for us to explore when he's back whether it be in the Championship or in L1 on loan again. In saying that, could be up front in the Premiership for us if a few unlikely circumstances link up :D 

Hamilton has done really well. Works his socks off and has scored a few important goals. Won our MoM on Tuesday. Still a bit raw obviously, but improving all the time, and would clearly benefit from another full season at Berwick if that can be arranged.  Ta!

17 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Better get the grape out to get it drained for Saturday don't want to have to make another Tuesday night trip down at this stage of the season.

More rain forecast later today and another very wet day tomorrow. Thursday and Friday need to be good drying days. Club can't afford another Saturday postponed, particularly with the chance of a decent gate this weekend.

Archived