Berwick Rangers 2017/18

BUT the again the financial situation is looking bad, and has been said previous we may not even be here in 5 years time !!
Again said previous even the supporters seem to lost the will to get behind the team
The board really need to step up NOW

I may be wrong, but I think the financial trend may look particularly bad compared to the previous seasons where we had cup runs and revenue. Early exits recent years.

From what I see on social media, the club are trying hard to maintain sponsorship and generating income streams, can the board do any more in in the income stream?

It's not hard to correlate attendances with income drop; last Tuesday's game was a season's low 302, and with the postponements, we'll have more lost premium Saturday revenue.

Perhaps the board can do more, but as supporters who have the concerns we have, and the feelgood of Robbie and the new signings, I think supporters have a responsibility too.

Voting positively with our feet in support of the new regime, particularly mid-week, is vital to add to the coffers and perhaps galvanise the team to a strong finish.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, A Believer said:

I may be wrong, but I think the financial trend may look particularly bad compared to the previous seasons where we had cup runs and revenue. Early exits recent years.

From what I see on social media, the club are trying hard to maintain sponsorship and generating income streams, can the board do any more in in the income stream?

It's not hard to correlate attendances with income drop; last Tuesday's game was a season's low 302, and with the postponements, we'll have more lost premium Saturday revenue.

Perhaps the board can do more, but as supporters who have the concerns we have, and the feelgood of Robbie and the new signings, I think supporters have a responsibility too.

Voting positively with our feet in support of the new regime, particularly mid-week, is vital to add to the coffers and perhaps galvanise the team to a strong finish.

In my opinion, a time for togetherness, hard work, mid to long term planning and patience.

Oh I quite agree, but being a geriatric old fool, I'm not on these fangled social sites to basically only use P&B and Berwick's own site. To say its been quiet on here is an understatement , the club's own site can be hit or miss at times (although much improved after recent years).

So then we get the Saturday's results and in fairness they have been dire. So making a 600 mile round trip spending stupid amounts on travel really does seem unappealing.

Believe me its nice to see some spark behind the scenes and not the usual finish the season in January, and I hope we have the makings of challenging for the league. But after Cowdens late resurgence could be sooner rather than later

51 minutes ago, Striker said:

I think 1 in 14  when Coughlin got sacked he was 6th the players brought in are not as good as what has left. How many mangers in scotland would still have a job after that record

Most on here seem happy with the manager?? His performance and that of his assistants is woeful.  He has taken a very poor team under coughlin and somehow managed to make them even worse. Sad sad days when this is accepted by fans and board members.

Suppose the draws with Montrose & Peterhead in late February can now be considered a "highlight" :(.

Solitary win over Cowdenbeath since the advent calendars came out is a horror stat.

Before that 1-0 win v Stirling (Dec 2nd), you'd have - another solitary win over Cowdenbeath aside - to go back 6+ months to September.

However, if you want to put a better light on it those 2 wins over Cowdenbeath have proven absolutely vital. Had they been draws we'd only be 3pts clear.

Few exceptions aside, squad is rubbish with total overhaul required.

Here's the table since DL/GB took over at Clyde/Cowden in mid-November (I'd made it up for another reason). You've played a game or two less than most teams in that time period because of the weather but are the worst team in the league in what basically amounts to half a season; most defeats, most goals conceded, least goals scored. Nowhere near anyone else except Cowden. Not pretty reading.

dltable2.png

1 hour ago, David W said:

Here's the table since DL/GB took over at Clyde/Cowden in mid-November (I'd made it up for another reason). You've played a game or two less than most teams in that time period because of the weather but are the worst team in the league in what basically amounts to half a season; most defeats, most goals conceded, least goals scored. Nowhere near anyone else except Cowden. Not pretty reading.

dltable2.png

The single ray of sunshine is Robbie?

Spoiler

Elgin City (H)

Annan (A)

Stenhousemuir (H)

Peterhead (H)

Stenhousemuir (H)

Montrose (A)

Cowdenbeath (H)

Clyde (A)

What is a realistic points total from these games?

10 hours ago, ShiPi said:
  Hide contents

Elgin City (H)

Annan (A)

Stenhousemuir (H)

Peterhead (H)

Stenhousemuir (H)

Montrose (A)

Cowdenbeath (H)

Clyde (A)

What is a realistic points total from these games?

Honestly ??? Absolutely nothing

Coughlin overspent his budget this season by around 35k and for the second time left the club in a mire. Add on another 13k, that he and his goalkeeper coach received after they were sacked and they have made a huge dent in the savings. Directors should have been more in control of the situation but a quick glance around the boardroom table doesn't inspire confidence, one or two apart. There is a real lack of leadership and direction from the chairman down.  

Players have left because of travel commitments and another wanted to retire from football and then signed for Edinburgh City two days later. 

Robbie is working with severe restraints and now needs to secure safety before turning his attentions to next season.  It's ludicrous to suggest he should go. He and Davie know where they want to be and what they require to get there but the support from above is poor. 

At the end of the day the players brought in are, at the minute, looking really poor compared to the players who left the club.  The team management are responsible for that. 

It is also imperative now that a run is put together till the end of the season, to at least give the support some optimism for the start of the next season. I'd much prefer solutions than to the usual excuses that are being churned out. 

22 minutes ago, David Brent said:

At the end of the day the players brought in are, at the minute, looking really poor compared to the players who left the club.  The team management are responsible for that. 

It is also imperative now that a run is put together till the end of the season, to at least give the support some optimism for the start of the next season. I'd much prefer solutions than to the usual excuses that are being churned out. 

Trouble being this statement can apply to any year from 2007

Personally think everyone of the above is contributing to the situation we're in. As usual we will give it until next season, usually around Christmas rumblings start and by Easter we're calling for mass overhaul and sackings.  We are always looking for the Summer transfer window then the January window to rescue the season.

The only thing to break the above cycle will be this year !! Because I really don't think we have what it takes to stay in this division.

19 hours ago, David Brent said:

I disagree on the new signings.

Young Jamie Todd is getting better with every game and is an improvement on Scullion and Fairbairn.

Declan O'Kane has given us energy and a competitve edge in the middle of the park, we just need someone with more craft to compliment him.

Marcus Godhino was recalled by Hearts and now in the first team.

Ouzy See started really well but has dropped off a little in the last few games.

Jack Hamilton has done well, scoring three goals. He has had to play a little wider than ideal on a few occassions due to a lack of options.

Paul Willis has disappointed since his return, he is an experienced player that should be doing better. 

Overall I think the above players have helped the squad despite the results. 

Being manager of Berwick is a huge task right now, we can't do any better than Robbie Horn with what we have to offer in terms of a budget.  It's going to take some magic to get us competitive next season. Already we need to fill the following positions with new players IMO. Goalkeeper, Right Back, Two centre backs, three midfielders and two strikers. Trying to get the quality needed to compete at the top of the table isnt easy with the money available. Geography will become an even bigger factor with junior teams moving into the pyramid system. The philosophy from above, seems to be to rumble on as we are in the hope we get some cash from a cup draw. We only have the Scottish Cup, the structure of the League Cup makes it impossible for clubs such as Berwick to proceed out the group stages. First and foremost, everyone should be behind the players to help secure our safety this season. Then it is time for serious discussions to take place about the overall running of the club.

Archived