Berwick Rangers 2017/18

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep; sack the board, fire everybody, kick the dug.....

We're not regarded as a destination club by most players, so unless anyone can find a bookie or oligarch with deep pockets and a love for Berwick Cockles, any sustainable improvement is (still) long term grass-roots development.

'Mon the black & gold; keep fighting guys.

58 minutes ago, A Believer said:

Yep; sack the board, fire everybody, kick the dug.....

We're not regarded as a destination club by most players, so unless anyone can find a bookie or oligarch with deep pockets and a love for Berwick Cockles, any sustainable improvement is (still) long term grass-roots development.

'Mon the black & gold; keep fighting guys.

I don't think that's quite the case.

Again in the Peterhead  post it was stated. Players couldn't give a toss.  I don't think its about money. its about effort. Why is the manager not kicking ass ?? Why is the board not kicking the manager's ass.

Which brings me to why should I haul my carcass up 300 miles if they can't be arsed 

Vicious Circle ??? So what does it need to break it

Again in the Peterhead  post it was stated. Players couldn't give a toss.  I don't think its about money. its about effort. Why is the manager not kicking ass ?? Why is the board not kicking the manager's ass.
Which brings me to why should I haul my carcass up 300 miles if they can't be arsed 

You could assume that; but can I perhaps ask what makes you so sure that the appropriate passion is not there and that encouragement is not being given? Sometimes you can take a horse to water etc etc. I still think this is a decent squad and a management team worth supporting.

We might agree that the squad needs strengthened, which brings me back to not being a natural destination club and not having cash to make it one I'm afraid.

It IS a vicious circle, and change will only happen if every key stake-holder is on the same journey towards the same objective. I have a feeling that may not be the case.

8 minutes ago, berwicksfinest said:

Very unfair to characterise this team generally as not giving a toss. The Peterhead game was the first in a long while where some of the players seemed to not care enough. Recent performances have been full of commitment and energy, but lacking in quality.

I expect the boss to have kicked some arse after a really poor display yesterday and I guess some won't figure on Tuesday. It is also likely that some names on the teamsheet yesterday will have a permanent red line through them.

8 minutes ago, A Believer said:

You could assume that; but can I perhaps ask what makes you so sure that the appropriate passion is not there and that encouragement is not being given? Sometimes you can take a horse to water etc etc. I still think this is a decent squad and a management team worth supporting.

We might agree that the squad needs strengthened, which brings me back to not being a natural destination club and not having cash to make it one I'm afraid.

It IS a vicious circle, and change will only happen if every key stake-holder is on the same journey towards the same objective. I have a feeling that may not be the case.

I don't think anyone can say that the players couldn't give a toss because of one game. However I also don't know why you think that this is a decent squad and  I feel every management team should be supported. "change will only happen if every key stake-holder is on the same journey towards the same objective." That is the key and not constantly changing managers or manoeuvring to get your favourite in place. It cannot be a short term fix, but I am alarmed that there seems to be an acceptance of our current plight. 

I don't think anyone can say that the players couldn't give a toss because of one game. However I also don't know why you think that this is a decent squad and  I feel every management team should be supported. "change will only happen if every key stake-holder is on the same journey towards the same objective." That is the key and not constantly changing managers or manoeuvring to get your favourite in place. It cannot be a short term fix, but I am alarmed that there seems to be an acceptance of our current plight. 

Yeah, I do think we're on the same page, as OMG, I'm certainly not accepting of where we are right now. I was reacting to 'sack the board' post, and am massively frustrated that we're not doing better. However, I think we agree that constant change is not the right answer.

The current squad has good enough players to stabilise our position, but that's not a good enough aspiration: although, this season, no playoff will be a success unfortunately.

With a good pre-season and one or two new faces, who knows.

Strong discussions required to say what 'future state' looks like for our club. Stagnating at Shielfield isn't what I see.

Fair play. As I say I can only base my opinion on to what others have written. 

I hope we are heading in the right direction. I think Robbie is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't and I hope the board see fit to back him with the money to bring in some quality.

I just see the same arguments season after season with the hopes pinned on transfer time and new faces 

On 7 April 2018 at 18:22, Disc Potato said:

S A C K

T H E

B O A R D

Instead of "Sack the board", perhaps the Chairman would take the time to provide an explanation of why the club is failing in so many areas in a public meeting. 

The failings within the board room and the decline of the club in general since the current Chairman was elected by his Supporters Club cronies are slowly sucking the life out of the football club. The financial losses incurred under his tenure cannot be sustained for much longer. 

So Mr Chairman, if it's appropriate to put the manager in front  of the fans in a "Managers Talk In" then it's only right that you call a public meeting and provide some answers to the fans questions and of course go public with your grand rescue plan.

If you expect the fans of Berwick Rangers to continue to pay at the turnstiles it's only fair that you engage with us. Hiding in the boardroom with your free food and drink will not resolve these problems.

Somehow I doubt it will happen.

1 hour ago, Eric's Rangers said:

Instead of "Sack the board", perhaps the Chairman would take the time to provide an explanation of why the club is failing in so many areas in a public meeting. 

The failings within the board room and the decline of the club in general since the current Chairman was elected by his Supporters Club cronies are slowly sucking the life out of the football club. The financial losses incurred under his tenure cannot be sustained for much longer. 

So Mr Chairman, if it's appropriate to put the manager in front  of the fans in a "Managers Talk In" then it's only right that you call a public meeting and provide some answers to the fans questions and of course go public with your grand rescue plan.

If you expect the fans of Berwick Rangers to continue to pay at the turnstiles it's only fair that you engage with us. Hiding in the boardroom with your free food and drink will not resolve these problems.

Somehow I doubt it will happen.

I want to know how the board think 1 win in 2018 is acceptable. Horn should be under massive pressure but somehow he seems to still have the backing from all of the board. That is worrying. 

Why are the board suddenly getting the blame? Is this being used to deflect the blame from the managers performance? I didn't see this when people wanted Coughlin out. 

The factions in the board room bores me, it's been going on for years and is slowly killing the club.  Too many people driven by own self interest and seem incapable of putting the club first. We've been awful for years now and tbh it probably stems back when board members started being driven by their own agendas. The club has suffered from it. 

As for the manager, he's lucky to still be in a job imo. Easily the worst team in Scotland over the last 6 months. Useless. 

The board are getting the blame because they've taken the club from a comfortable financial position to a critical position in the space of 2 1/2 years. 

A board member had secured thousands of pounds in grants to repair the current pitch problem, yesterday the board voted against it because it meant spending a rather paultry amount to get the grant. Obviously they haven't done the figures on lost revenue from postponed games this season.

Another director telling locals the club is f***** and going down next year if not this.

Losing sponsor's left, right and centre due to the administration.

The club is lacking leadership and direction from the top, as a result we are sinking fast towards the lowland league.

There is little respect from individuals in the boardroom towards their colleagues, the atmosphere is toxic and spilling down onto the pitch.

The club asked for volunteers to repair the pitch for Tuesday. A handful of people turned up. Where was board members/supporters club committee members/Supporters Trust members.

Next season is once again structured around getting a cup draw, if we fail, the cupboards are bare.

Robbie is still working with a previous managers squad, he shouldn't be judged until he puts his 11 on the pitch.

Now is the time to be pro-active rather than re-active when it's too late.

There is a mammoth task ahead.

Can it be saved ?  I hope so but people need to wake up and realise how critical the situation is right now.

5 hours ago, berwicksfinest said:

Fair play. As I say I can only base my opinion on to what others have written. 

I hope we are heading in the right direction.

You are- it's cheaper for Berwick to go to Gala, Selkirk and Edinburgh Uni than Montrose, Elgin and Peterhead.... 

2 hours ago, Disc Potato said:

The board are getting the blame because they've taken the club from a comfortable financial position to a critical position in the space of 2 1/2 years. 

A board member had secured thousands of pounds in grants to repair the current pitch problem, yesterday the board voted against it because it meant spending a rather paultry amount to get the grant. Obviously they haven't done the figures on lost revenue from postponed games this season.

Another director telling locals the club is f***** and going down next year if not this.

Losing sponsor's left, right and centre due to the administration.

The club is lacking leadership and direction from the top, as a result we are sinking fast towards the lowland league.

There is little respect from individuals in the boardroom towards their colleagues, the atmosphere is toxic and spilling down onto the pitch.

The club asked for volunteers to repair the pitch for Tuesday. A handful of people turned up. Where was board members/supporters club committee members/Supporters Trust members.

Next season is once again structured around getting a cup draw, if we fail, the cupboards are bare.

Robbie is still working with a previous managers squad, he shouldn't be judged until he puts his 11 on the pitch.

Now is the time to be pro-active rather than re-active when it's too late.

There is a mammoth task ahead.

Can it be saved ?  I hope so but people need to wake up and realise how critical the situation is right now.

P             GD          Pts

05/08/17 – 19/08/17       Coughlin              3              -6            3             

20/08/17 – 31/01/18       Robbie                 18           -12          21          

Transfer Window

01/02/18 – 07/04/18       Robbie                  10           -11          5

31           -29          29

Loving the blame game, all we need now is 'get the local laddies in' and we've got a full house. Let's get secured in this division first before starting to calling for sackings because we got beat by the team sitting at the top of the league. 

Of course Robbie can be judged now. You take into account that he’s only been here 7 months, but can also judge them on how they’re performing with the players they have at their disposal. It’s very rare a manager will have enough time in a job to be able to put out their own 11.

I’m certainly not calling for his head, but I am worried by what I see out on the park. It’s the worst Berwick team I’ve seen since supporting them and I’m pretty sure it’s the worst run of form I’ve seen from us in this division. We’re 11 points off last seasons derisory total, in a season were we struggled with keepers and didn’t have the good loan players we’ve had this. He’s also had a transfer window where he was able to make quite a few changes. We have Orru starting left back and not McDonald. A young player who’s improving, but not in the same class yet. We have O’Kane in midfield. We have a 17 year old (who has been class) starting up top on his own when it’s clearly not working. We haven’t started playing in recent games until O’Kane goes off and See and/or Murrell come on and we start to inject just a little positivity into proceedings.

Again, I’d not be looking for a change and hoping for a good summer as I have some confidence in Robbie, but Berwick is rotten with ‘he’s a good guy’ or ‘he’s my pal’ so give him more time as opposed to others we’ve had. Even as far back as Sandy Clark we’ve had judgements on managers seemingly based on which people or factions of the board a manager is closest to. Managers shouldn’t be in the slightest bit involved in any of that shite, and they should all be judged on their own performance and merits.

As for the boardroom, and regardless of the deflection that seems to be taking place, I haven’t changed my opinion since last summer. The whole board should recognise they’ve failed, or at least are failing and actively look for totally new leadership, not linked to any of them to take the club forward at the top.

Factionalism has been tearing the club apart for years and you have to wonder how far we will sink before it finally clicks and the good of the club comes before self interest. Unfortunately, rather than calm heads and a group of people working together towards a proper goal, we’ll probably get more mountains out of molehills, shooting from the hip and people prioritising their egos being dented over the club. Why do we even find out about board decisions a day after the meeting that can be presented on here without any details of a reason behind a decision other than because of factionalism? It’s pathetic.

We’re a small football club with a dwindling support of 300-350 fans. This isn’t the House of Commons with a government and opposition, or it shouldn’t be. How much energy is wasted and how many opportunities aren’t grasped while people are even subconsciously thinking about the politics behind every decision? How many clever, clued up people could help the club or be an asset, but wouldn’t go near it with a bargepole? The vast majority of our small support couldn’t care about most of this shite, they just want to see a successful team on the park. Get a grip.

9 hours ago, BerwickMad said:

The vast majority of our small support couldn’t care about most of this shite, they just want to see a successful team on the park. Get a grip.

It's Lenny and his merry men who need to get a grip. If they don't get their @rses in gear in the next few months the savings account will be empty and the doors may well be closed for ever with jobs being lost.  So it may well be that the vast majority of our small support won't have a team to watch......successful or otherwise. 

Well said Disc Potato.......spot on.

Surely the Commercial Director should be considering his position given that he doesn't seem to be able to generate enough income 

On 26/03/2018 at 20:32, David Brent said:

Has O'kane actually been on a winning Berwick team? To suggest he is giving us a competitive edge is somewhat staggering. He can graft but lacks any creativity, and tbh playing him and Notman together doesn't help the forwards. 

The effort is there from all during the games, but the fact we're not winning games while showing effort is worrying and should concern everyone.

I like Horn but I'm not gonna be blinded because he has been a successful player for the club.  He needs to be judged on results and tbh to date it's been well below par. 

Games  30

Won      6 (20%)

Drawn   8 (26.67%)

Lost        16 (53.33%)

For         22

Against 53

GD          -31

15 hours ago, ShiPi said:

Games  30

Won      6 (20%)

Drawn   8 (26.67%)

Lost        16 (53.33%)

For         22

Against 53

GD          -31

That is pretty damning. But the same people who wanted coughlin out because of results seem content to back robbie horn??  Suppose it depends on who appointed horn??  I keep hearing he is john bells appointment?? Is this true??

So whats going to be the answer if we manage to stay in Div 2 ??

Basically I can't see any change on the horizon, The Board will be noticeable by their silence, no money will be a reason for not being a force in the Summer transfer window.

What players will be welcomed to sign on with Berwick ?

If this carries on into next season how long before Robbie is made accountable and moves on ??

How long will supporters finally not accept the  situation, instead of looking forward to a transfer window to rescue the season.

Personally if we scrape by this season we won't next !!

Archived