Berwick Rangers 2017/18

12 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Todays post from the club suggests that Robbie Horn has a more positive view of the development team than previous managers. Herriott might have played yesterday if he wasn't injured, and the very promising Jack Simpson came on as sub. If we are actually going to give them a chance, the current set-up seems sensible.

I suspect more of the development squad will get first team minutes this season than ever before. Especially if Beath continue to be pish.

In other news, O'Kane's early entry for unpredictable cock-up of the season has been rejected by the committee because there were too many assists.

I don't know if you can say he had has more positive view than previous managers, considering what Coughlin had put in place and who he had brought to the youths. It was never going to produce instant results. I don't think we would be happy if the object is to stay above Cowden!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

The GoPro is a good addition to the highlights. Though neither O'Kane nor McCrorie cover themselves in glory for the first, I wouldn't blame either for it. There's a huge opportunity to reorganise and instead defenders switch off at a key time - Henderson shows clever movement but could be covered far better, whilst the Annan 9 has a free run at it too. It's mad to think the amount of criticism Henderson used to take at Berwick. I'm almost certain I'm right in saying we haven't had a forward with a better goal to game ratio since, and given our goal drought at the minute we could really do with someone who takes his chances up top. Hopefully big Ouzy can start notching after he gets his fitness up. A hat-trick at Cowden would be just lovely.

On the youth side, why over-complicate things ? Surely it's a simple case sending the players to the club that will aid their development best. Different players will have different development needs at different times. No one club is ever going to be a perfect hub and be able to satisfy all of those development needs. Tweedmouth are a shambles and unless there's a player who has a development need of being pumped every week, I don't really see the point in sending anyone there atm.

The Go-Pro is a £12 waterproof effort from Amazon and would be able to use a whole load more if ball boys stayed behind the advertising hoarding.

I've all but given up on this website but i've a few points i'd like to make on this so i'm attempting a sensible post.
Firstly, we used to have our own team in EOS and the best it produced was Josh Morris. What you're suggesting is pretty much turning Tweedmouth into BRFC 20s. The whole point of loan deals  is to get the boys mixed in with adults and learn from it. If they're all in the same team that's not going to work so well so one or two max at each club is probably much better. By  that logic we'd be as well not sending anyone to Tweedmouth and playing friendlies on Saturdays.
That leads me on to point two. We're not a charity. The whole point is to develop the players and get them (hopefully) ready for SPFL football. The 20s don't exist to prop up our neighbours. 
Which leads on nicely to point three. Local football is absolutely fucked. I've nothing against any clubs but they're having a real struggle to attract players etc. I watched Tweedmouth v Eyemouth fairly recently and Eyemouth won 5-0. The same Eyemouth were boasting on Twitter about having 12 players at training. Why should we be sending all of our prospects to play in teams full of folk who can't be arsed? they're going to achieve nothing. I assume you'll have watched plenty this season so you'll know fine well. With Kelty pumping everyone in sight and Dalkeith applying to join the party sadly I don't see the likes of Eyemouth and Tweedmouth lasting long.
Now i'll admit at this stage I don't know a huge amount about football at this level but it appears to me that most of the 20s have been loaned out to teams at a better level (or certainly a better team) than Tweedmouth. This kind of links to point two here but surely they should be sent to the best possible level. The age old saying train with people better than you etc etc etc. 
I'll finish with location as my final point. Tweedmouth play at Shielfield, same as the first team. We struggle to attract players to the first team due to being so far away and that is with wages. I can't think of any reason why players from Edinburgh and the central belt would come to the 20s if we then told them they'd be travelling that far week in week out. Especially to get pumped every week. 
I've absolutely no problem with sending a couple to Tweedmouth. As i've just said with location they're probably ideal for the local youngsters but hopefully you realise that what you are suggesting really isn't a win win situation at all. 

Edited to add: I wouldn't want them to go to Tweedmouth purely to guarentee game time either. Yes they need to play but it's important to have them fighting for places too. The competitive aspect is needed.

Yep, all good points well made. Particularly not making TRFC majority BRFC 20's, and the value of them training and getting some game time with better clubs. Maybe the compromise is just 2 or 3 more, if relatively local and have no loan deal or getting any game time.

Totally get the value of playing with senior players, as well as against them.

I guess I'm frustrated seeing what you predict being likely; in local EOS clubs folding; but, as you say, what's the point if training attendance is so low.

4 hours ago, Yellow Feet said:

I've all but given up on this website but i've a few points i'd like to make on this so i'm attempting a sensible post.

Firstly, we used to have our own team in EOS and the best it produced was Josh Morris. What you're suggesting is pretty much turning Tweedmouth into BRFC 20s. The whole point of loan deals  is to get the boys mixed in with adults and learn from it. If they're all in the same team that's not going to work so well so one or two max at each club is probably much better. By  that logic we'd be as well not sending anyone to Tweedmouth and playing friendlies on Saturdays.

That leads me on to point two. We're not a charity. The whole point is to develop the players and get them (hopefully) ready for SPFL football. The 20s don't exist to prop up our neighbours. 

Which leads on nicely to point three. Local football is absolutely fucked. I've nothing against any clubs but they're having a real struggle to attract players etc. I watched Tweedmouth v Eyemouth fairly recently and Eyemouth won 5-0. The same Eyemouth were boasting on Twitter about having 12 players at training. Why should we be sending all of our prospects to play in teams full of folk who can't be arsed? they're going to achieve nothing. I assume you'll have watched plenty this season so you'll know fine well. With Kelty pumping everyone in sight and Dalkeith applying to join the party sadly I don't see the likes of Eyemouth and Tweedmouth lasting long.

Now i'll admit at this stage I don't know a huge amount about football at this level but it appears to me that most of the 20s have been loaned out to teams at a better level (or certainly a better team) than Tweedmouth. This kind of links to point two here but surely they should be sent to the best possible level. The age old saying train with people better than you etc etc etc. 

I'll finish with location as my final point. Tweedmouth play at Shielfield, same as the first team. We struggle to attract players to the first team due to being so far away and that is with wages. I can't think of any reason why players from Edinburgh and the central belt would come to the 20s if we then told them they'd be travelling that far week in week out. Especially to get pumped every week. 

I've absolutely no problem with sending a couple to Tweedmouth. As i've just said with location they're probably ideal for the local youngsters but hopefully you realise that what you are suggesting really isn't a win win situation at all. 

Edited to add: I wouldn't want them to go to Tweedmouth purely to guarentee game time either. Yes they need to play but it's important to have them fighting for places too. The competitive aspect is needed.

I hate to agree with you:lol: 

But I would say your right re your under 20 lads being out at the various junior clubs rather than playing together at the likes of Tweedmouth, first off the juniors  are of a better standard and playing against teams of a better standard.

A youngster will be better off playing with seasoned pros every week and facing seasoned pros and learning more than they would playing with guys a similar age. That's one of my griped about the current set up when you can play against the same players from your 8 until your 20.

Off the youths who came through at Cowden and done anything of note the ones who went out to juniors fared better in the majority - Jon Robertson, Thomas O'Brien etc.

Just now, dreamteamer said:

Berwick sign local lad Jack Hamilton,  Striker on loan from Livingston...........

Was kinda hoping he'd get a few games for us to see how he got on but i'm sure he'll do well for Berwick and it'll help with his development. 

Wow. Thanks for posting that BWD. Berwick fans haven't seen this many goals all season, so this is hugely refreshing.

I know he's only 17 and will meet better defenders, but the lad looks really confident and has a bit of zip too. Get him in the side, Robbie.

I hate to agree with you:lol: 
But I would say your right re your under 20 lads being out at the various junior clubs rather than playing together at the likes of Tweedmouth, first off the juniors  are of a better standard and playing against teams of a better standard.
A youngster will be better off playing with seasoned pros every week and facing seasoned pros and learning more than they would playing with guys a similar age. That's one of my griped about the current set up when you can play against the same players from your 8 until your 20.
Off the youths who came through at Cowden and done anything of note the ones who went out to juniors fared better in the majority - Jon Robertson, Thomas O'Brien etc.

I hated to agree with him too; it was the shock of a reasoned argument, fair comment and no trolling. #whobodysnatchedyellowfeet

TBF, it was never about dropping all the 20's into one team; in a nutshell, is it better to have 3 or 4 good 20's getting limited/ no game time with juniors, or more game time in EOS league.

I would argue that although skill level might be lower (and Tynecastle, LTHV and Kelty would disagree) the boys would get the same (or better) exposure to the art of course football. The thing that can make the difference when stepping up.

Archived