Cherry picking

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

Stevie Mallan. I think we will sign Sibbald for about 70k too.

Yep, we will sign Cummins for 50k to replace Baird

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Players often tell die-hard fans that they're desperate to leave the club right enough.

Marino Keith did at a supporters club poty. I actually found it refreshing, than the usual bollox

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

No but they dont just pick a number out of the air either.There are guidelines which would set it at over 200k as long as we offer him a contract that is no worse than what he is on at the moment. More likely he'll stay with us for another season and then leave for hee haw unless by some miracle we go up.

There are guidelines, but certainly domestically that's all there is. There is no formula and no way on earth Sibbald or anyone else has a "set" figure.

4 hours ago, Jackie Moon said:

They do when its a development fee unless its across border to England, think the fee is in the region of £240k between clubs in Scotland which is paid if the player is under the age of 24 but dont quote me on that.

You have that wrong way around. Once FIFA get involved on a cross Border deal there is more of a formula about it, relative to what divisions the respective clubs are in and what country. None of that applies to a domestic deal.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

They pretty much do pick a number out of the air, which is why Bradford ended up paying £250k for Mark Stewart. Not that it matters though as Hibs would offer well under the full figure, Sibbald would demand to leave and Falkirk would take the deal on the table. 

Bradford were a higher level club then than they are now and I think Falkirk were a Premier side and FIFA's calculation came into use.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

I won't tbh, because that's nonsense. If a standard £240k fee applied to any under-24 player moving at the end of their contract in Scottish football (having been offered a new deal) then either the transfer market would be in meltdown or half the clubs would have folded. When Morton signed Gary Oliver from Queen of the South last summer we paid a far smaller fee under the same conditions - probably around £10k although others will be much better placed to know the precise sum. The same figure applied when we foolishly signed Tony Wallace from Dumbarton a few years ago. 

The compensation figure is arbitrary. There's no doubt that Falkirk would be entitled to much more than anyone should get for Tony Wallace if it went to a tribunal, but the clubs would likely strike a deal about the figure instead in a buyers' market. 

One of the factors involved is the time and cost spent in development. I'm not going to discuss the actual number (obviously) but Oliver was never going to demand much in the way of compensation as he was only our player for about 8 months (September - May) before joining Morton. Sibbald has been the best part of a decade at Falkirk and played a lot of first team football. He'll go for an awful lot more. The comparison with Telfer made earlier in the thread though is not really a good one. As you pointed out yourself, it was very much based on the costs Rangers were able to show they had expended on developing him and clearly Rangers invest an awful lot of money in their youth development programme. I imagine Falkirk spend a fair bit too but not by any means Rangers levels.

If Sibbald ends up in a domestic tribunal situation with a Hibs or a St Johnstone level club then they will look at his first team experience, his wage level, the contract being offered to him, the development costs, and any other factors they feel relevant before reaching a decision felt fairest. I think it's pretty unlikely to be over £200k but it wouldn't surprise me given his importance to Falkirk if it was into 6 figures. If they want £200k+ for him he'll need to be moving to England (or within contract to a willing transfer agreement of course).

Pointless discussing Sibbald's fee until Brexit negotiations are complete tbh. 

He'll probably end up at Rangers anyway. Which will at least keep a large percentage of the Falkirk support happy. 

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

Terrible effort :lol:

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Aye whatever. Your windups are boring now.

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

Thread ruined inside 2 pages

54 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Tbf IQ75 was just doing his usual shite trolling 

48 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Yep, we will sign Cummins for 50k to replace Baird

Marino Keith did at a supporters club poty. I actually found it refreshing, than the usual bollox

image.gif

Good to sign Hippolyte, bury him alive in the 18 yard box at the Cowden end of the ground and lay the new pitch over him. The large hump on the edge of the six yard box would serve as a warning to others thinking of diving against us.

We've been tenuously linked with Miles Hippolyte and Simon Murray in recent months. The former would make sense given Chris Erskine's tendency to tire after an hour and we could do with someone else in the squad with a bit of flamboyance. Murray would be an interesting one, always quite liked the look of him as a centre forward and we could do with another option up front. Suspect any move for either would depend on the outcome of the play offs.

Elsewhere, we were rumoured to have an interest in Nicky Devlin last year and could have seen us going back after a good season with Ayr. That was before the emergence of Christie Elliot as a very capable full back though. Wouldn't rule it out yet but suspect he'll end up elsewhere.

I think Tony Andreu would thrive in our team but Norwich will be wanting to recoup at least some of the dosh they forked out for him which will likely put him out of our range.

With us likely losing Liam Lindsay in the summer and Niall Keown going back to Reading, we'll be in the market for a centre half or two. To this day, Thomas O'Ware put in one of the worst showings I've ever seen when he played at left-back during a game at Cappielow but has evidently come on leaps and bounds in the time since. I'd imagine there'll be a bit of interest in him as there will with a few other Morton players - Forbes, Lindsay, Murdoch, Quitongo.

I like big Grant at Falkirk but would cost a decent whack, I'd think.

"Sibbald told me he was staying so I 100% believe him" :lol:

Football fans really are the most thick and naïve people in the world.

31 minutes ago, smpar said:

"Sibbald told me he was staying so I 100% believe him" :lol:

Football fans really are the most thick and naïve people in the world.

Nah, that's working class Tory voters man.

1 hour ago, mackenzie43 said:

Don't get the hype around Sibbald, would much rather push the boat out for Henderson or someone of that ilk. Especially if we're having to fork out for a comp fee..bring Maloney in Lenny :wub:

Is that cuz he doesn't stop scoring againt Hibs or....?

11 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

Alex Harris has been released by us. Has Dumbarton written all over it. Would be surprised if graham, handling and Stanton stay too. 

Would take Harris given that Andy Stirling is away. I would take any of those mentioned actually but I think they'll all get full-time deals no bother with the exception of maybe Harris. 

Archived