Cherry picking

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

They pretty much do pick a number out of the air, which is why Bradford ended up paying £250k for Mark Stewart. Not that it matters though as Hibs would offer well under the full figure, Sibbald would demand to leave and Falkirk would take the deal on the table. 

Why would we sell him for a number way below his compensation value? Even our bod aren't that stupid. The Mark Stewart debacle was a cross border move which are dealt with totally differently. If Hibs want Sibbald they either pay what we value him as or we go to the said tribunal. Hibs like ourselves will have a good idea what the figure for compo is approx and I would expect them to offer something in that region but probably a tad lower. If they offer a nominal fee like 70k then I'm sure they'll be told to do one. Sibbs is a Falkirk boy and would be quite happy to stay for another year before moving on. In my opinion thats the most likely result.

Lets not forget that McGinn had only played 80 odd games for St Mirren. Sibbald has played over 200 for us and I'm sure if St Mirren had been offered 70k for Mcginn they would've told Hibs to bolt. I also presume that Saints didnt want to lose him for nothing a year later so went down that root. As far as I'm aware we're quite happy to have him for another season even if it means losing him for nowt.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think Harkins is going to keep going down the leagues until he finds his level: the trick is making sure your club doesn't go with him.

Has he ever played well for a club outside Dundee?

1 hour ago, P475 said:

I'd have M'Voto from raith in a heartbeat, he is about the best player they have imo.

In our last game v Raith he looked terrified any time someone ran at him, or if he was further forward than 10 yards from the 18 yard line. Probably their best player right enough. 

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why would we sell him for a number way below his compensation value? 

Because he has no set "compensation value" - this is a complete myth peddled by Falkirk and a handful of other clubs to their gormless fanbase. His value will be determined either by a deal between the two clubs or by taking it to a tribunal, not before. The idea that £70k counts as a "nominal fee" for a player who has spent most if not all of his career in the second tier of Scottish football is also laughable. 

Sibbs is a Falkirk boy and would be quite happy to stay for another year before moving on.

If you're not his agent then you're not really in a position to speak for the player's happiness to pointlessly mill around the second tier for yet another season. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Because he has no set "compensation value" - this is a complete myth peddled by Falkirk and a handful of other clubs to their gormless fanbase. His value will be determined either by a deal between the two clubs or by taking it to a tribunal, not before. The idea that £70k counts as a "nominal fee" for a player who has spent most if not all of his career in the second tier of Scottish football is also laughable. 

If you're not his agent then you're not really in a position to speak for the player's happiness to pointlessly mill around the second tier for yet another season. 

Or I could just have spoken to him on a number of occasions. I guess we'll just need to wait for us to accept 70k for him then.

7 minutes ago, virginton said:

Especially when I know Sibbs wants to leave regardless of what league we are in.

Dundee utd had to pay sevco 170k for telfer because they developed him from the age of between 12-18. Sibbs has been with us longer, made over 200 first team appearances - his development fee will be larger than telfers - which was set by a tribunal.

Our bod have already said we'll keep him an extra year if we don't get the money.

16 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Or I could just have spoken to him on a number of occasions. I guess we'll just need to wait for us to accept 70k for him then.

Players often tell die-hard fans that they're desperate to leave the club right enough.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Players often tell die-hard fans that they're desperate to leave the club right enough.

As  I said its all hypothetical pish. We don't know whether anyone will come in for him and if they do who it will be. I still feel any sensible club will wait a year and get him for nothing. He's a decent player but not one I'd be in a rush to sign if i knew I could get him for nowt on a pca in 6 months or so.

I'm pleased with the spine of the team we already have signed up - Murdoch (GK), Ashcroft (CB), Wedderburn (HRH), Clark (St). I know he has retired but Steevo from Ayr would be a better back-up keeper than David "Sinclair" Hutton.

57 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

If Sibbald leaves we will get more than 70k. And I expect he will move down south anyway. I think his game will develop more if he moves there rather than the Premier league.

We will offer around 70k and you should take it tbh. That's a lot of money for a side like Falkirk. Sibbald will probably take Fyvie's place. If someone like st.johnstone come in for him too then there might be a bit of a bidding war which could potentially go up to around 120k. Big money for a big player.

37 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Has he ever played well for a club outside Dundee?

In our last game v Raith he looked terrified any time someone ran at him, or if he was further forward than 10 yards from the 18 yard line. Probably their best player right enough. 

Pretty sure Thistle fans raved about him too.

Absolute waste of space.

We will be on the hunt for a couple of centre backs, couple of strikers, maybe a right winger and a goalkeeper/maybe two.

Already released Webster, Ben Gordon and Jordan Stewart.

13 minutes ago, Ryan-FFC said:

Dundee utd had to pay sevco 170k for telfer because they developed him from the age of between 12-18. Sibbs has been with us longer, made over 200 first team appearances - his development fee will be larger than telfers - which was set by a tribunal.

Telfer was being brought through at a top-flight club (now deceased) and was moving to another top-flight club, which was taken into account in determining compensation. Sibbald has spent his career in the second tier of Scottish football, so those "200 first team appearances" are of diminished value.

Our bod have already said we'll keep him an extra year if we don't get the money.

Tough talk until they actually get an offer on the table, Sibbald's agent does what he is paid to do and your BOD folds like a Ukrainian deckchair. That's football. 

6 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

We will offer around 70k and you should take it tbh. That's a lot of money for a side like Falkirk. Sibbald will probably take Fyvie's place. If someone like st.johnstone come in for him too then there might be a bit of a bidding war which could potentially go up to around 120k. Big money for a big player.

Terrible effort :lol:

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Telfer was being brought through at a top-flight club (now deceased) and was moving to another top-flight club, which was taken into account in determining compensation. Sibbald has spent his career in the second tier of Scottish football, so those "200 first team appearances" are of diminished value.

Tough talk until they actually get an offer on the table, Sibbald's agent does what he is paid to do and your BOD folds like a Ukrainian deckchair. That's football. 

If we were in desperate need of 70k then I can see your point but we arent. 

Hypothetical question:

A player is out of contract and the club he is with who are due compensation if he moves on offer him a 3 year deal. If no one comes in for him does he only have two options? Either take the 3 year deal or simply not play at all until someone is either willing to pay comp or he becomes old enough not to qualify fro compensation?

21 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

Aye whatever. Your windups are boring now.

Archived