Cherry picking

So which players would you take from the teams that may well go down this season? Even from teams that are safe, or going up (teams going up may off load some players for what they consider better quality) 

I'd have M'Voto from raith in a heartbeat, he is about the best player they have imo. I'd also have Devlin from Ayr too. 

Raith will get some better players when Cowdenbeath go down, I'm sure they'll have to off load many of their players :)

who would you take from other teams in this league? 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M'Voto is absolutely gubbins; Dunfermline should definitely sign him if they get the opportunity. I'd take a goalkeeper like Sean Murdoch as an upgrade over that clownshoes liability Gaston every day of the week, but IIRC he is under contract until the end of next season. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

M'Voto is absolutely gubbins; Dunfermline should definitely sign him if they get the opportunity. I'd take a goalkeeper like Sean Murdoch as an upgrade over that clownshoes liability Gaston every day of the week, but IIRC he is under contract until the end of next season. 

Will swap for Bryn Halliwell

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:

Will swap for Bryn Halliwell

Done. As P and B threads obviously act as legally binding contracts, I reckon a repeat of that time Dunfermline took Andy Barrowman to give us Ross Forbes in exchange has just been completed.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Falkirk don't get to set a compensation fee; you'll either negotiate a mutually agreed sum or go to a tribunal. 

No but they dont just pick a number out of the air either.There are guidelines which would set it at over 200k aslong as we offer him a contract that is no worse than what he is on at the moment. More likely he'll stay with us for another season and then leave for hee haw unless by some miracle we go up.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Falkirk don't get to set a compensation fee; you'll either negotiate a mutually agreed sum or go to a tribunal. 

They do when its a development fee unless its across border to England, think the fee is in the region of £240k between clubs in Scotland which is paid if the player is under the age of 24 but dont quote me on that.

They pretty much do pick a number out of the air, which is why Bradford ended up paying £250k for Mark Stewart. Not that it matters though as Hibs would offer well under the full figure, Sibbald would demand to leave and Falkirk would take the deal on the table. 

If Raith go down there's a few I'd like from them, Benedictus, Stewart and Vaughan (:wub:). Highly unlikely we'd get any of them, perhaps Stewart if he's out of contract. 

Aside from that we'll be doing our usual in waiting for teams like Falkirk or Morton to release players who are "shite" and "not good enough for this level" and watch them perform perfectly fine for us.

1 minute ago, Jackie Moon said:

They do when its a development fee unless its across border to England, think the fee is in the region of £240k between clubs in Scotland which is paid if the player is under the age of 24 but dont quote me on that.

I won't tbh, because that's nonsense. If a standard £240k fee applied to any under-24 player moving at the end of their contract in Scottish football (having been offered a new deal) then either the transfer market would be in meltdown or half the clubs would have folded. When Morton signed Gary Oliver from Queen of the South last summer we paid a far smaller fee under the same conditions - probably around £10k although others will be much better placed to know the precise sum. The same figure applied when we foolishly signed Tony Wallace from Dumbarton a few years ago. 

The compensation figure is arbitrary. There's no doubt that Falkirk would be entitled to much more than anyone should get for Tony Wallace if it went to a tribunal, but the clubs would likely strike a deal about the figure instead in a buyers' market. 

Similar to us and SJM. We waived the tribunal fee for McGinn because we really didn't have a lot of choice: the 33% sell-on looks like a decent alternative for us, unless he goes in a swap deal, in which case we get hee-haw.

If Raith go down there's a few I'd like from them, Benedictus, Stewart and Vaughan (:wub:). Highly unlikely we'd get any of them, perhaps Stewart if he's out of contract. 

All three are signed up for next season, although of course there's every chance they may leave anyway if we go down. Not sure any would be happy to go part-time though, even if they did move up a level.

Just now, itzdrk said:

If anyone fancies taking Harkins, Fleming, Meggat & Forrest that would be great.  

I think Harkins is going to keep going down the leagues until he finds his level: the trick is making sure your club doesn't go with him.

Just now, Paco said:

All three are signed up for next season, although of course there's every chance they may leave anyway if we go down. Not sure any would be happy to go part-time though, even if they did move up a level.

Aye, that's fair enough. Our market will be young boys released from Premiership teams and hopefully the best players in League 1.

Archived