St Mirren to win the league

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Irony aside, I still think we'll come third behind you and the Arabs. 

A season to soon for me, I expected us to be up there challenging but not as winners. I'll take it if we do go on to win it of course, but the Pars and Utd still favourites in reality.

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

A season to soon for me, I expected us to be up there challenging but not as winners. I'll take it if we do go on to win it of course, but the Pars and Utd still favourites in reality.

Interestingly, both times we've gone up in recent memory, I think the belief was that we were operating a season ahead of expectations.

I agree with you - I think this season will be a tall order - but we have confounded expectations before.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Interestingly, both times we've gone up in recent memory, I think the belief was that we were operating a season ahead of expectations.

I agree with you - I think this season will be a tall order - but we have confounded expectations before.

I'm not sure we have a strong enough defence as things stand. 

Davis and McKenzie are a huge loss and it all depends on both of them returning match fit and hitting the ground running mid season.

I also think we need to strengthen the striking options in Jan. I would punt Darryl Duffy and possibly Hilson who is yet another perma crock.

Pars players and management talked about promotion being the sole target this season. General consensus from Pars fans was that they were collectively insane. We've not beaten United this season or last and St Mirren have not beaten us this season or last. Would still be happy with 4th but we do seem to be capable of blowing teams away due to having so many goalscorers who all have really good movement. 

St Mirren could pump Morton, we lose in Inverness and then there's a healthy 5 point gap. With so many teams capable of beating each other Saints could just grasp the opportunity and pull away. Not sure Hartley's plan to 0-0 Falkirk's way to glory will work. Not convinced the maths stack up with that one. 

10 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

let's hope we avoid the meltdown they've had then :):)  anyone cant beat anyone in this league i'd be happy with top 4 considering last season

This time last season, Pars 8th, St Mirren 10th. We didn't have Nat Wedderburn and you didn't have Gavin Reilly then though. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

This time last season, Pars 8th, St Mirren 10th. We didn't have Nat Wedderburn and you didn't have Gavin Reilly then though. 

I'm led to believe that the imposter that was Alex Rae tried to sign Wedderburn but the Pars offered a better deal. 

I don't think anyone is disputing the current Saints team has flaws - but then so do all the teams in the division.

My pre-season prediction was 3rd - 5th but from here I'll be disappointed if we finish outwith the play-off spots.

Current prediction 2nd-4th.

3 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I'm led to believe that the imposter that was Alex Rae tried to sign Wedderburn but the Pars offered a better deal. 

Not having to deal with Alex Rae on a daily basis was probably the sweetener for big Nathaniel.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Not having to deal with Alex Rae on a daily basis was probably the sweetener for big Nathaniel.

I'm still in shock that Rae actually had the ability to spot a a decent player, given the utter dross he previously tortured us with.

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I'm not sure we have a strong enough defence as things stand. 

Davis and McKenzie are a huge loss and it all depends on both of them returning match fit and hitting the ground running mid season.

I also think we need to strengthen the striking options in Jan. I would punt Darryl Duffy and possibly Hilson who is yet another perma crock.

Yeah, agreed on all counts. Can't imagine Hilson's deal being extended and Duffy was a total waste of a signing (never saw that coming...)

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, agreed on all counts. Can't imagine Hilson's deal being extended and Duffy was a total waste of a signing (never saw that coming...)

Hilson save our ass against brechin he'll get a new deal lol  is he injured again

Archived