Another Summer of confrontational cyclists.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Why are cyclists all so angry?

I've wondered that before and think it must be adrenaline and/or lack of oxygen to the brain. You see these folk who are probably normally totally quiet and respectable suddenly get all arsey and wanting to fight.

47 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I've wondered that before and think it must be adrenaline and/or lack of oxygen to the brain. You see these folk who are probably normally totally quiet and respectable suddenly get all arsey and wanting to fight.

I believe it's a class thing.    The younger Bmx cyclist might ride down the wrong side of the road smoking a doobie, pull a wheelie and give you the w****r sign.   But they'll grow out of it and probably get some driving lessons for their 17th.    The problem with adult cyclists is every passing vehicle is a reminder they're using an inferior transport method.    I can understand using a pushbike could get you down,  but it doesn't have to be this way.    There was a bloke in our office who used to cycle in from Fife, I showed him how to apply for finance now he's a proud owner of a 59 plate Hyundai i20.   

Middle-aged conservative voters, who are trapped in sexless marriages so the only enjoyment they get is cycling to work everyday.

32 minutes ago, Pearbuyerbell said:

I believe it's a class thing.    The younger Bmx cyclist might ride down the wrong side of the road smoking a doobie, pull a wheelie and give you the w****r sign.   But they'll grow out of it and probably get some driving lessons for their 17th.    The problem with adult cyclists is every passing vehicle is a reminder they're using an inferior transport method.    I can understand using a pushbike could get you down,  but it doesn't have to be this way.    There was a bloke in our office who used to cycle in from Fife, I showed him how to apply for finance now he's a proud owner of a 59 plate Hyundai i20.   

The cyclists I see are mainly beardy middle class types. I used to cycle from Fife to Edinburgh for work but only because it was quicker than going by car. Then I realised that living in Edinburgh would be even quicker.

8 hours ago, Dee Man said:

No, 'Did Ye Aye' dog memes after this tale please. Thank you.

I was crossing Princes Street on a green man about 4 years ago from the bottom of Frederick Street to the gardens side with the missus and kids when some bellend flew right through the middle of us on his bike so obviously I hurled a few profanities his way which he clearly took exception to, so bold boy turned back on his bike threw his bike against the railings and started coming towards me with a heavy swagger. Not one to back down from confrontation I marched towards the red light ignoring madman fully expecting a face to face showdown, with me clearly being in the right with plenty of witnesses there was no danger I was backing down. As I approached him asking him what the f**k he was playing at, he duly smashed his head full force into my face resulting in me losing a front tooth and bursting my mouth wide open. Slightly shocked at this rapid turn of events, I was in a situation where I had my wife staring at me in disbelief screaming "What the f**k??", my 5 year old daughter hysterically screaming and my two boys stood open mouthed and a cyclist jumping back on his bike and trying to flee the scene. I chased the fleeing assailant down Princes Street heading west, caught up with him and pushed him off his bike and was pleasantly surprised to find that my Judo groundwork that I hadn't used in 20+ years hadn't left me (it must be just like riding a bike hahahahahahaha) as the now-regretting-his-moment-of-madness-blood-spattered-cyclist tried in vain to escape being pinned to the ground on the central reservation on the road outside Boots the Chemist. "Let me up, I promise I won't try to get away". Nae bather, m8.

Obviously 5pm on a Saturday on Princes Street in the middle of summer is quite busy so there was quite a crowd around to witness the excitement so by the time the wife had called the police she said they'd already received a number of calls about it and were on their way. Plod came and took him away and charged him with assault and gbh or something.

I got just short of £4000 out of it in criminal compensation so as well as quite an exciting end to the day it turned out to be pretty lucrative as well. I got paid out shortly before I moved to Oz so that came in handy. Cheers cycling cunto.

Nice picture of Dee Man's wife..

93919-lee-wallace-has-signed-a-five-year-contract-with-rangers-after-completing-his-switch-from-hearts.jpg

It's the feckers that ride two abreast that do my head in, as you are trying to pass.

According to that cycle safe advert you have to leave a car space for them.

Passing these feckers would mean I would be in the field! Part of me wants to run over the outside one and part of me says "you won't like prison".

Don't get me started on lycra clad gangs of them on country roads. All I see is skittles waiting to be knocked down.

Their lack of self awareness is the catalyst for me. Can't stand it.

Riding two abreast is perfectly legal and is little different to, for example, a tractor.  In my experience, in line with the Highway Code, if cycling two abreast and causing a long queue of cars, a group will usually go single file to allow to motor vehicles to pass more easily.  Groups of cyclists also usually choose quieter roads to cause less disruption to motor traffic (and for their own safety).  

It's worth noting cyclists can get stuck behind slow moving motor vehicles as well.

On the other side, my experience of drivers is that almost all the time they give cyclists enough time and space and confrontational incidents between the two are rare.  

There are few idiots and hotheads on both sides of course, but that doesn't you can tar all of them with the same brush.

Riding two abreast is perfectly legal and is little different to, for example, a tractor.  In my experience, in line with the Highway Code, if cycling two abreast and causing a long queue of cars, a group will usually go single file to allow to motor vehicles to pass more easily.  Groups of cyclists also usually choose quieter roads to cause less disruption to motor traffic (and for their own safety).  
It's worth noting cyclists can get stuck behind slow moving motor vehicles as well.
On the other side, my experience of drivers is that almost all the time they give cyclists enough time and space and confrontational incidents between the two are rare.  
There are few idiots and hotheads on both sides of course, but that doesn't you can tar all of them with the same brush.

The big difference is that a tractor can't choose to take up less space, the cyclists can easily choose not to be arseholes and go single file. Just because a person isn't actually breaking the law doesn't mean that they aren't a selfish w**k.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I have a bike and I have a car. Unsure if that places me in a unique position to comment???

Anyway, when using roads in any vehicle one is constantly surrounded by bell ends. So when on a bike, its hardly surprising that the bell ends become a little bolder. One thing I always remind myself if, is regardless of who is in the right, when on a pushbike I am quite obviously the softest and most fragile side of the arguement. And I have no intention of going under a car to make a stand for cyclists and their right to the road.

When in my car, I must admit the two abreast crew does do my nut right in, and it is certainly fairly common behaviour. I expect slow moving vehicles to show courtesy in allowing me to pass where possible, so I am unsure why some cyclists think they have to god given right to the full road with no regard for others.

So aye, wanks on both sides.

Thanks for that Bairnardo it's an excellent reply.  

Rest assured you're not the type of person who needs the help of the cycling attitudes team.   

Anyone reading your thoughtful musings can see you're an asset the tarmac and mentally stable.  

Equally, we can read the angry slaverings of Marr1 and others and make reasonable assumptions about their bike-based-behaviour.

if cycling two abreast and causing a long queue of cars, a group will usually go single file to allow to motor vehicles to pass more easily.

Pish

They do not "usually" do that.

I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful part of North East Fife, albeit not as stunning as Perthshire.

Unfortunately the local byways are used on a regular basis by cycling clubs for road races. On such days it can be nigh on impossible to venture out due to the congestion that is caused by these inconsiderate, Bradley Wiggins, wannabes.

Tell me Pearbuyerbell. Have you thought of expanding your cycling attitudes survey team (CAST) to other areas of the country? As I'm sure there is a demand to do so

37 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful part of North East Fife, albeit not as stunning as Perthshire.

Unfortunately the local byways are used on a regular basis by cycling clubs for road races. On such days it can be nigh on impossible to venture out due to the congestion that is caused by these inconsiderate, Bradley Wiggins, wannabes.

Tell me Pearbuyerbell. Have you thought of expanding your cycling attitudes survey team (CAST) to other areas of the country? As I'm sure there is a demand to do so

Thanks for the support comrade.     You'll find more information on the organisation's plans for 2017 on this thread http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/236116-the-big-cycling-attitudes-survey-2016/

An absolutely we have plans to cover all the major cities in Scotland as part of the 2017 campaign.  Transport isn't a problem for us because we use motorised cars.   Although new recruits are always made very welcome.   In particular, we like to hire fearless, very strong males with assertive voice.   

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 13:04, MONKMAN said:

Because most drivers are a*** holes, give them enough room

Thanks for the support comrade.     You'll find more information on the organisation's plans for 2017 on this thread http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/236116-the-big-cycling-attitudes-survey-2016/

An absolutely we have plans to cover all the major cities in Scotland as part of the 2017 campaign.  Transport isn't a problem for us because we use motorised cars.   Although new recruits are always made very welcome.   In particular, we like to hire fearless, very strong males with assertive voice.   

Many thanks Pearbuyerbell.

The thread highlighted makes for an interesting if, somewhat, depressing read. Despite some very articulate and constructive arguments by your good self and others it would seem that the cyclists on the thread resort to there default response, that of arrogance and aggression. Unfortunately it's an reaction that us users of motor vehicles are all too familiar with.

I don't drive myself but I frequently see quite blatant provocation towards drivers from very aggressive and obnoxious cyclists. I imagine these cyclists must have a very sad home life and are taking it out on the average joe who's just trying to get from A to B with a minimum of hassle.

25 minutes ago, ecto said:

Because most drivers are a*** holes, give them enough room

10 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Pipe down! Is your Lycra nipping you uncomfortably? It's the only reason I can think of for this outburst.

If you think my last post was an outburst, you have led a very sheltered life, there is plenty room on our roads for everybody, I have driven for over thirty years, and cycling is not for me, but just drive responsibly around them, show them a bit more respect and respect will be shown in return, but be a Dick towards them and you deserve everything you get, just a thought

If you think my last post was an outburst, you have led a very sheltered life, there is plenty room on our roads for everybody, I have driven for over thirty years, and cycling is not for me, but just drive responsibly around them, show them a bit more respect and respect will be shown in return, but be a Dick towards them and you deserve everything you get, just a thought

Exactly the sort of outburst I'd expect from Mr Raleigh or Mizz BMX. Just highlights the extent of the problem.

Archived