New Kits for 17/18

Xara is an American brand that still caters to amateur sides in their domestic market, but saw their last contract in Europe expire when Norwich ripped up their agreement to pen a better deal with Errea. I own two fo their Norwich tops and one from Livingston (the infamous deckchair design), good quality, if a bit heavy in feel.

Masita is a Dutch sports brand with a long history of going bust and rebranding themselves, who have finally figured out how to make decent kits and not go bust; two clean tops for MVV Maastricht ruined by the most effortless corporate mascot ever;

594d357a25907_19390724_1402513536493011_6751484207983740560_o1.thumb.jpg.b47312439116a6e624cd1c69aab30d2f.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

I'd totally forgotten them. Seemed only ever to do West Ham shirts, also Spurs for a couple of years in the late 90s. Weren't too bad a firm as I remember

Also did the lovely number for Southampton.

Gotta love a 90s kit

IMG_6345.JPG

IMG_6346.JPG

You missed out Le Coq Sportif. We had them in the mid nineties, I think they may have bought out Matchwinner as we ended up with a green red and white striped away kit which was identical to a Carlisle Matchwinner kit from a year or so before.

Virma :lol: (San Marino, Chester City, Stirling Albion, Clyde: Stirling's was a real shocker as I remember)

Did Pony not do Motherwell for a season or so as well?

finally, big missing name I remembered randomly: le coq sportif. Peak was the late 70s/ early 80s in France, but I remember a particulalrly horrible Falkirk kit from the mid 90s (if I remember rightly, pixellated dark blue on sky blue: the Chris Waddle era). Responsible also for the East Fife relegated-by-Christmas-under-Jimmy-Bone top

final players : bukta (more of a rugby brand after the early 80s in Scotland although they were producing Hertz tops until the mid-90s) and the genuinely hideous ellgren, better known for rugby league tops in Northern England, but responsible for this hideous monstrosity associated with the Shire for half a season around 91-92-93:

https://www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0dc2d03fe217f8c83829496872af24a0/e/-/e-stirling-92-home-use.jpg

:wacko:

7 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Kit makers past and present in order (italics means defunct / no longer in the market)

Diadora had a funky design for Raith Rovers and Dumbarton in the mid 90s. Plus, they supplied The Rangers in the early 00's.

Reebok did a couple kits for Hearts too.

Have to admit to not being too happy when it was revealed that Joma were going to be doing the East Fife kits a couple of years ago but have to admit that they have have been superb both in look and in quality!!!

And if course the return to Black and Gold stripes has been glorious!!!

We also appear to be getting bespoke kit as well, why do so many, supposedly bigger teams think getting the cheaper "template" models will endear the Club's choice to the fans when they then ask them to shell out £40-50 for them???

59 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

why do so many, supposedly bigger teams think getting the cheaper "template" models will endear the Club's choice to the fans when they then ask them to shell out £40-50 for them???

Exactly this. IMO the lesser known brands tend to put a bit more effort into their designs. But like you said, the bigger brands just churn out the same old rubbish template for every team, so everyone ends up looking the same. I can understand that the bigger brands might have more contracts with teams and financially it's not beneficial for them to produce a bespoke design for every single team they supply.

Archived