Goalkeepers

DBA

For a number of years now, we've had 3 very good options in goals and they have helped to reduce the impact of our shoddy defence. However, they're all now the wrong side of 30 (Marshall 32, Gordon 34, McGregor 35).

Keepers normally have a longer shelf life and can continue for longer, but realistically how long can we expect them to be available? 2/3 years?

An interesting stat is that this month, it'll be 11 years since any goalkeeper started a match for Scotland with the exception of those 3 plus Matt Gilks (who started 1 game - away in Luxembourg). Prior to Gilks, it was Neil Alexander in the Kirin Cup - 88 matches ago.

Who can we expect to see around the squad in the next few years?

Jack Hamilton and Scott Bain are the only younger keepers who have been involved in recent years - are either of them good enough to step up? I've got my doubts but haven't seen either on a regular basis. Others who have been in or around the squad in the past 4/5 years like Cammy Bell and Scott Fox are now pushing 30 and highly unlikely to get a look in.

Do we have a secret keeper hiding away until these 3 disappear? Or is our goalkeeping options going to go the same way as our centre-halves?

I think it will come down to necessity. Remember Gordon (playing for Hearts, so in a similar standing as Bain and Hamilton) seemed a bit of a gamble when we finally gave up with Rab Douglas and Paul Gallagher and the likes and handed him a few starts. Until we give a younger keeper a run they'll always seem sub-international standard.

Also worth noting that neither Marshall or McGregor are first choice at their parent clubs at the moment.  Marshall's on Hulls bench and McGregor is out on loan to Cardiff from Hull.

Looks like Gordon's our first choice for the foreseeable future.

Still plenty time for Bain & Hamilton to become international players. They've been in pretty dreadful form recently but so have their respective clubs. Gordon will be our first choice for the next couple of years and I'm fine with that. Hopefully onr of the two memtioned above have progressed enough to take over, or someone else has emerged. 

Also worth noting that neither Marshall or McGregor are first choice at their parent clubs at the moment.  Marshall's on Hulls bench and McGregor is out on loan to Cardiff from Hull.
Looks like Gordon's our first choice for the foreseeable future.

Rightly so as well I'd say. Use him for the next few years while he's still firing on all cylinders - but establish a solid, young understudy if we can.

Clark, Hamilton, Archer will all probably be called up eventually.
Bain hasn't been the best over the last 2 year and I wonder if he's blown his chance.
There is Angus McNeill at City. But he's apparently not interested and is interested in representing England.

That might change. But for now it doesn't look likely.

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

Clark, Hamilton, Archer will all probably be called up eventually.
Bain hasn't been the best over the last 2 year and I wonder if he's blown his chance.
There is Angus McNeill at City. But he's apparently not interested and is interested in representing England.

That might change. But for now it doesn't look likely.

Angus Gunn you mean?  Angus McNeill is an MP...

As for Gunn, yeah he's the son of our ex goalie Bryan and seems to be very highly rated down south.  However he was born and brought up in England so unsurprisingly he wants to play for them, if he can't get a game we may have a chance a few years down the line.

Angus Gunn you mean?  Angus McNeill is an MP...
As for Gunn, yeah he's the son of our ex goalie Bryan and seems to be very highly rated down south.  However he was born and brought up in England so unsurprisingly he wants to play for them, if he can't get a game we may have a chance a few years down the line.

Still, might be worth giving Mcneill a cap. You never know...

Jon McLaughlin was first choice at Burton Albion in the English Championship, he played for Bradford City the year they made it to the league cup final. Although Burton have just released him. He's 29 so not the youngest but may end up playing for a decent club at a good level.

Ryan Fulton is only 20 and at Liverpool, he just spent the season on loan at Chesterfield where he was first choice.

If Millwall get promoted to the Championship then Archer is probably most likely to become a regular squad member ahead of all others that have been mentioned so far.

Gordon, Marshall, Archer would be my personal preference.

• 5 months later...

...was anyone actually seriously considering ruling him in?

Archived