Cowden: why it matters

1 hour ago, PELE said:

That's part of the problem. Kids and amateur matches played on Saturday's.

Some games I can't get to because of the timings.

This isn't unique to Cowdenbeath, Scotland or even the UK.

Kids should absolutely be encouraged to play as much football as possibe and for as long as possible - that is why artificial surfaces are great. You get the kids in playing games in the morning before a game then you hope they stay around spending some money on food and merchandise etc. What you may lose out on in a few kids entry fees you hopefully make back in other avenues. Maybe even a play or two if the progression is there and the environment is correct.

Central Park, unfortunately, couldn't be less appealing. So it isn't worth us worrying out about.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Kids should absolutely be encouraged to play as much football as possibe and for as long as possible - that is why artificial surfaces are great. You get the kids in playing games in the morning before a game then you hope they stay around spending some money on food and merchandise etc. What you may lose out on in a few kids entry fees you hopefully make back in other avenues. Maybe even a play or two if the progression is there and the environment is correct.

Central Park, unfortunately, couldn't be less appealing. So it isn't worth us worrying out about.

You could offer driving lessons.

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

Agree with most of it. Artificial pitches are good for revenue, but not great to play on. Too many of the kids pick up injuries from training and playing on them.

It's just a shame that fans and potential fans cannot attend because they are playing in games at the time.

In my experience artificial pitches are far better to play on and I just wish more of them (at such high standard) were around when I was younger. 

People get injured on grass pitches too. 

47 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

In my experience artificial pitches are far better to play on and I just wish more of them (at such high standard) were around when I was younger. 

It's a moot point Muzza. I was ready to chuck 5s playing on a hard surface about 10 years ago, moved to astro and still play twice a week. The difference is the speed professionals or part timers play at. It might not be right for some. I do think the current and next generation will adapt to it. The game might be different, but you and i will be long dead.

52 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Yeah, you can get injured anywhere, but a lot of the kids come off with sore knees and ankles after training and playing on the plastic.

Archived