Cowden: why it matters

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Kierkegaard said:

Just a matter of weeks ago, the notion that we could avoid the drop by winning on our own turf at the fag-end of the season  seemed like a dream. Now it's the reality. East Kilbride are a good side and a well-organised club, and should be congratulated on what they've achieved. But it's now dog-eat-dog and we have to put them to the sword on Saturday. Gary Locke, Billy Brown and Neil Irvine have done a fantastic job in turning our fortunes around in a very short time - we're playing pretty well and the spirit on the park is there for all to see. I hope there's a big crowd at CP, and that lots of neutrals come along, creating a great atmosphere (and providing much-needed extra revenue). Cowden and EK are well-matched sides, both with everything to play for: the backing from the terracing and the stands could make the difference that counts. Let's create the atmosphere we had on Helicopter Saturday, 2006 and have the old ground rocking. We can do this!

6. Innes&Mixuwithcup.jpg

helicopter.jpg

I hear and feel what you are saying Ron, but there is a massive however.

this game is to avoid a 3 Rd consecutive relegation. Helicopter Sunday was to complete a good and rare (for us) achievement. Massive difference. 

There is a lack of backing locally, too many have given up on the club and the rest don't care enough to come to games.

And what are your club actively doing to rectify that?

Charging a silly price to basically ensure a minimum number of people attend. With the game to close to call doing a £5/£2 would have been a good idea IMO.

I am sure someone who knows more about these things has run the numbers and worked out that £10/£5 will bring in the most money on the day and a 12th man isn't important.

18 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

I feel your pain re the bus journey its one hell of  a trip!

Feel that pain too- I remember what it was like taking the bus from Edinburgh to Inverness to watch Caley.........but Orkney to Cowdenbeath, that's beyond dedication

12 hours ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Charging a silly price to basically ensure a minimum number of people attend. With the game to close to call doing a £5/£2 would have been a good idea IMO.

I am sure someone who knows more about these things has run the numbers and worked out that £10/£5 will bring in the most money on the day and a 12th man isn't important.

The club need every penny that they can get especially if we are relegated down to the Lowland League.  How many more people do you think would actually come along if it was £5 and £2?  Simply cutting prices doesn't guarantee more fans will turn up.

They way the club can get more fans into games is to engage more in the community which is what they've been trying to do for the last few years.

On 15 May 2017 at 08:09, The Minertaur said:

The club need every penny that they can get especially if we are relegated down to the Lowland League.  How many more people do you think would actually come along if it was £5 and £2?  Simply cutting prices doesn't guarantee more fans will turn up.

They way the club can get more fans into games is to engage more in the community which is what they've been trying to do for the last few years.

What about a flute band?

How much have attendences increased by over the last few years with all this community engagement? Would it be a negative number? Of course you can prove anything with statistics.

For reference I was thinking of bringing my family with me this weekend at current prices it will be £35 at my suggested price it would be £17. I'd pay £17 but not £35 so as it stands the club will get £10 so that's -7 pounds.

3 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

How much have attendences increased by over the last few years with all this community engagement? Would it be a negative number? Of course you can prove anything with statistics.

For reference I was thinking of bringing my family with me this weekend at current prices it will be £35 at my suggested price it would be £17. I'd pay £17 but not £35 so as it stands the club will get £10 so that's -7 pounds.

They've reduced prices before though and it's not really made a difference.  Cutting the prices in half of course means we'd be needing double the people through the turnstiles  which I don't see happening no matter what we charged!  There's just a general apathy from the town towards the club going back to the MacDougall era. 

8 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I'll ask again. What are your club actively doing about it?

The Cowdenbeath FC Community team are in and around the local schools a fair bit.  Fairly sure there is after school coaching sessions as an example. There's areas which could be improved but that's the same at every club.

11 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

The Cowdenbeath FC Community team are in and around the local schools a fair bit.  Fairly sure there is after school coaching sessions as an example. There's areas which could be improved but that's the same at every club.

I pass the high school every home game and there's always plenty activity on the all weather pitch. Seems youngsters would rather play football than watch it. We can't even get ballboys. When I was younger you couldn't buy a job like that at CP.

There is no right or wrong price for these games (within reason) and no way to please everyone. I think £10 and £5 is pretty fair but I can understand the call to reduce them as this is a high profile game so, unlike reducing them in a run of the mill game, you may attract more interest.

There will likely be a large neutral crowd at this as well so lowering the price may encourage a few more of them to attend.

2 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I pass the high school every home game and there's always plenty activity on the all weather pitch. Seems youngsters would rather play football than watch it. We can't even get ballboys. When I was younger you couldn't buy a job like that at CP.

If a youngster wouldn't rather play than watch I would be a lot more concerned!

43 minutes ago, big al said:

If a youngster wouldn't rather play than watch I would be a lot more concerned!

So we shouldn't encourage youngsters to our games?

I played plenty football when I was younger but I was always pleased when there wasn't a game so that I could go and watch Cowden.

28 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

I played plenty football when I was younger but I was always pleased when there wasn't a game so that I could go and watch Cowden.

That's part of the problem. Kids and amateur matches played on Saturday's.

Some games I can't get to because of the timings.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Kids football should be sat morning or Sunday. Anyone physically able should choose playing over watching, you're a long time not playing when older and it sucks.

Archived