The Handmaid's Tale

Cerberus

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, L. Brilliant said:

Saw half an hour of this. Thought, Oh a simpleton with a budget has just seen Children of Men

I'm assuming you know they're both based on books but The Handmaid's Tale was published seven years earlier.

Based on the first episode they seem to have put a lot of the book into it given there's ten episodes. I hope there's more world-fleshing in the later ones.

I watched the first couple of episodes. Agree that it's a bit on the depressing side and although it's really well made and the story telling is great, I just can't muster up the energy to watch any more. The missus is up to date with it. Because wimmin. 

I'm assuming you know they're both based on books but The Handmaid's Tale was published seven years earlier.
Based on the first episode they seem to have put a lot of the book into it given there's ten episodes. I hope there's more world-fleshing in the later ones.

Read the book years ago and also saw the film version with Natasha Richardson, which undoubtedly suffered from trying to squeeze too much into a couple of hours.

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 16:41, L. Brilliant said:

I just found it wooden, unconvincing dialogue and narration, lacking scene-setting and character dev. Why come on and say so? I hardly watch any tv drama and saw a thread.
Would highly recommend Children of Men film instead.

But the acting is meant to be wooden and the dialogue is meant to be unconvincing, no? That's surely the point. They're part of a society which is forcing them to act and speak totally unnaturally.

Edited by The Real Saints

I can't say I found the acting wooden. More understated than anything. But to each their own. 

I'm all caught up now and from ep 4, it's been pretty compelling stuff. 

Only seen the first two but it's excellent IMO. The quietness of it all makes it more scary somehow, and Joe Fiennes is perfect as the guy who we don't know much about. It's good that they show wee glimpses of what happened before and hopefully we get more of an idea how it all went to pot as it continues. It's also worrying that some of the things happening to the women are still happening in the world somewhere. Well worth a watch.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So much for my theory that it was going to start on Sunday 13th May, they are showing the film Eddie The Eagle in the slot left vacant by Homeland. 

Hopefully that's just a one-off and the new season kicks off the following Sunday with a double bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Season 2 opener on Channel 4 last night. Not the sort of subject matter you can say you enjoyed but it is compelling even though some scenes are extremely harrowing. Thought the choice of the Kate Bush song that played over the 'execution' scene was really good.

23 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Watched the Season 2 opener on Channel 4 last night. Not the sort of subject matter you can say you enjoyed but it is compelling even though some scenes are extremely harrowing. Thought the choice of the Kate Bush song that played over the 'execution' scene was really good.

My wife and I watched the first series and while she loved it I wasn't overly enamoured.

However the first episode of season 2 was excellent and I'm looking forward to the one coming this week. 

• 2 months later...

It was an excellent second season.  My wife was the one who wanted to watch this but I found myself getting more and more drawn into it and the final 2 episodes were superb.  Looking forward to the next season!