Challenge Cup 2017-18

3 minutes ago, Big Berk said:

I think we're a much better team than then, but so are they.

Not sure if they are better or not.  They don't have Stevie Mallan at least.

It will be a good test to see where we are at, although a lot of important league games to get through first.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I doing think I'm in the right place mentally for another trip to St Mirren.

Not enough time has elapsed since 29th April.

6 minutes ago, Big Berk said:

I think we're a much better team than then, but so are they.

Wouldn't say we're 'much better', but we are continuing in the right direction. That day, you just hit a very hungry Saints side with a buzzing Mallan, while you yourselves were shot of all confidence.

I'd imagine it'd be a close enough game and I wouldn't rule out your chances at all. Could be quite entertaining, given that it really is a pressure-free competition for both teams. Is Alba showing any of these games this season? Wouldn't surprise me if they went for this one (working on the basis that Oswestry would be too far for them to bother following Elgin.)

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Not sure if they are better or not.  They don't have Stevie Mallan at least.

It will be a good test to see where we are at, although a lot of important league games to get through first.

Theyve given Dundee Utd, Livi (away) and Falkirk all a doing in the league already. They ahd a blip against Morton in their derby but I think they were down to 10 men for a lot of the game. So I expect we'll be up against it.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Wouldn't say we're 'much better', but we are continuing in the right direction. That day, you just hit a very hungry Saints side with a buzzing Mallan, while you yourselves were shot of all confidence.

I'd imagine it'd be a close enough game and I wouldn't rule out your chances at all. Could be quite entertaining, given that it really is a pressure-free competition for both teams. Is Alba showing any of these games this season? Wouldn't surprise me if they went for this one (working on the basis that Oswestry would be too far for them to bother following Elgin.)

Its the Welsh channel SC4 that shows TNS home games. I would expect United v Linfield or maybe Falkirk Pars would be high on Albas list.

2 hours ago, VillaKnollBoy said:

Meh!

"At least it's a home tie" (Berwick Rangers supporter before round 2.)

As a Queen's fan said about drawing Montrose away: "not the end of the world."

As King Kenny said: "maybes aye, maybes naw."

Fear no foe!

ETA  Arabs Vs Linfield : Tangerines Vs Oranges. And they said this cup wasn't seeded!

So do Elgin get £4000 for this game or is it only ones over the sea?
Elgin will need to travel down the night before, part-time players doing 8 hours plus in a bus, then back again to play in this shit, surely they will be out of pocket. What's the point in being in this cup if it costs you?
How is this still allowed to continue, 500 odd at most games just there, were attendances that bad before?
It's fucking madness. Honest to f**k isn't it time they bin this cup. It's nearly always played the same weekend as internationals. Just give us a break from domestic football ffs, theres too many games as it is. 

Agree it's not ideal but is there not at least a chance the Elgin players might enjoy this different challenge and be looking forward to it?

You wouldn't want to make the journey all the time but occasionally I don't see the issue, especially when they get £5k for the privilege.

Would be interesting to hear Elgin fans' views on this and if any are travelling for it. It doesn't clash with Scotland much.

46 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

I'm sure United/Linfield will be a quiet affair.

To cut costs Crusaders could ask Linfield if they want to share bus,

Crusaders could drop them off in Dundee on the way up to play Cove Rangers, and collect on the way back.

Can't see any issues there for anyone.

Meh....could have been better. At least St Mirren will give us a good test to see where we are as a team compared to last years shambles. No pressure to Win the game and we'll not be out of pocket. Get through nice wee bonus and a quarter final, go out and let's be honest who cares it's only the challenge cup.

Just now, MEADOWXI said:

Crusaders could drop them off in Dundee on the way up to play Cove Rangers, and collect on the way back.

I expect they'll fly. Maybe chartering a flight between them might be cheaper

12 minutes ago, Big Berk said:

Its the Welsh channel SC4 that shows TNS home games. I would expect United v Linfield or maybe Falkirk Pars would be high on Albas list.

Yeah, good shout, they'll probably do the United game, if only for the banter.

Falkirk/Pars isn't even a derby, apparently.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, good shout, they'll probably do the United game, if only for the banter.

Falkirk/Pars isn't even a derby, apparently.

Not a derby but theyre only 12 miles apart, its a serious grudge game and always draws a decent crowd. Whether BBC Strathclyde are aware of anything of significance over here is another matter....

PS ok its Alba, but I expect theyre controlled from Glasgow?

9 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

..... em Crusaders don't really like Linfield :)

Archived