Challenge Cup 2017-18

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool, I'll leave the QOS and Dumbarton fans to glamorise this diddy cup everything is rosey. 

That's completely irrelevant to the discussion. FWIW I couldn't care about the Challenge Cup and therefore wouldn't travel 3 hours to go and watch QoS play in it. If you hate the competition that much why would you bother to do that? Surely a total boycott of the games would make more sense.

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The Queen of the South fans have firmly stuck their colours to the Sons mast.  The Hibs lads will no doubt have our backs too. Mon in, btb, the water's lovely.

It's nothing personal, it's just that a non-Scottish final would be a slap on the back of the head for the SPFL chiefs.

See the source image

Because it is demeaning to have an U20’s side play against a first team. IMO

An Under 20s side is never going to win this competition. There is a very good chance a foreign side could win it. I find that far more embarrassing for our game.

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

An Under 20s side is never going to win this competition. There is a very good chance a foreign side could win it. I find that far more embarrassing for our game.

There is no point inviting them if they're not going to have an impact on the competition. 

I have no issue with the foreign sides being in, and I also don't see that it would be an embarrassment if they win it. These are the top sides in their respective countries, whereas we play in the second tier in ours. 

The U20s element is a farce though, get that to f**k.

There is no point inviting them if they're not going to have an impact on the competition. 
I have no issue with the foreign sides being in, and I also don't see that it would be an embarrassment if they win it. These are the top sides in their respective countries, whereas we play in the second tier in ours. 
The U20s element is a farce though, get that to f**k.

I agree with the 20s FWIW, I just think both are equally as farcical. It would be embarassing that a side outwith Scotland win a Scottish cup IMO. The only thing the foreign teams bring to the cup is the chance of a day out. They don't exactly add to the attendances at home games (Linfield being the possible exception as they have the draw of being the Irish The Rangers). I imagine TNS's attendance on Sunday was one of the best they'll have but that doesn't exactly benefit us.

Yes, but by definition the minute you invite foreign teams, it no longer becomes a "Scottish" competition. (Obviously it's run by the SPFL). It's now a competition for 4 countries.

Linfield and TNS are clearly of a similar standard to our 2nd tier teams so there's a non-zero possibility they could win it. I'm ok with that tbh.

Yes, but by definition the minute you invite foreign teams, it no longer becomes a "Scottish" competition. (Obviously it's run by the SPFL). It's now a competition for 4 countries.
Linfield and TNS are clearly of a similar standard to our 2nd tier teams so there's a non-zero possibility they could win it. I'm ok with that tbh.

Bizarrely enough I was thinking if they scrapped the Challenge Cup and started a new one with a new name that was inclusive of other nations, I wouldn't have an issue with it even if it was run by the SPFL. I just take issue with it being a Scottish cup.

I'm not sure who would be interested but if they did reboot it I would be inclined to invite some English sides as well.

Even with all that I still don't think the attendances would be any better though.

That's an interesting point, and I presume the Challenge Cup could have been reactivated if the other version failed. I'd not be interested in having English sides enter though. We'd either be scraping around for entrants from the Blue Square Conference GM Vauxhall Motors National League of losers, or it'd be reserve sides from nobodies like Port Vale or Crawley. Urgh.

I'm definitely in team ICT to win it this time though. Actually the Dumbartonians would do me as well as they've never won it.

Archived